ReefCleaners.org

New Midas blenny; clownfish disappears

Incitatus76

Incitatus76

Hmmm, I have (had...) a saddleback clown for a few years paired up with a Haddon's anemone that have both been the scourge of my tank. The clown bites me every time I do anything in the tank, and the anemone has had some really beautiful and expensive meals. (The anemone is about 18-20 inches in diameter; the clown was about 3.5 inches, maybe.) In any case, the clown ruled the tank. Yesterday, I got rid of a enormous toadstool (about 16 inches diameter) that was stealing all the light, and in return brought home an incredibly cute Midas blenny--who explored and ate within 10 minutes of being in the tank.

This morning--no clownfish. She must have jumped, right? We've looked and looked, in the tank and on the floor, and can't find her. I have mesh on the top of the aquarium, but there are some small gaps. When a fish usually disappears the anemone is to blame, but it couldn't be in this case.... Could the Midas have nipped at her and gotten her to jump? I've heard they can be tough, but the Midas is being friendly to my little azure damsel. I know that nobody can really answer this, I'm just curious if anyone else has introduced a blenny or other seemingly docile fish and had their toughest fish disappear.

Now the new question is--do I rehome the anemone (since my wife hates it for eating so many fish) or get another clown or a three-spot domino?

(Photos from when the clown was young and fair, and would hide all the way in the stomach of the anemone.)

head in tummy.jpg

IMG_20180817_114942.jpg

My midas was never aggressive, only got bossy when another fish got near his home.

If anything my midas was scared of my clown.

You sure the nem didn't eat the clown, that can happen or maybe the clown is hiding due to the new addition. 

My one clown hid within my nem for 2 days when i added a new fish, then he went back to being a jerk.

Incitatus76
4 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

Could the anemone eat the clown? They've been together for 3 years, at least, and the clown used to actually hide inside the anemone's mouth. 

Incitatus76
1 minute ago, JustReading said:

I have nothing to help here. But that Nem is insane!

Thank you! When I got it, it was tiny--about 4 inches, maybe--and in terrible shape. It's doing great now--but it eats everything!

Incitatus76
7 hours ago, Clown79 said:

Yes nems can eat clowns

Thanks, I didn't know they would eat the clown they've been hosting. To be fair, I don't think the anemone is super smart, but I figured the clown's mucous coat would protect her. 

4 hours ago, Incitatus76 said:

Thanks, I didn't know they would eat the clown they've been hosting. To be fair, I don't think the anemone is super smart, but I figured the clown's mucous coat would protect her. 

The coarimg protects them from beimg stung but not eaten

Incitatus76

I believe you, it's just so weird--I mean, when she was young she used to actually swim into the anemone's mouth, disappear into the stomach and come back out.