Innovative Marine Aquariums

Coralife Scientific Grade Marine Salt

Blind Tree Frog

Blind Tree Frog

So is Coralife Scientific Grade Marine Salt any good and worth the $30 for 150 gallons worth?

Need to buy some more salt and I'm going by Petsmart to make them price match the AC500 against the web site. Figure i'll get the salt there too if they have good enough quality salt.

The options appear to be (according to the web site)

Reef Crystals by Aquarium Systems

Instant Ocean Synthetic Sea Salt

Coralife Scientific Grade Marine Salt

I've also heard you guys like Red Sea here before I believe?

coralife's very good. i also like bio-sea. but i'd say that bio-sea slightly better than coralife.

TM is ok ime. i didn't like the powderiness of it tho but that's just pers pref.

i was less than pleased with IO.

does anyone know if reef crystals is just IO enriched with calcium or is it a different blend altogether? ???

I switched to bio-sea and am very pleased with the change. Water is clearer and everything seems to be responding well. Salt is not something to cut corners on IMO. Find one that works and stick with it. These forums will give you a whole bunch of opinions about salt so listen to the ones you trust.

Blind Tree Frog

Ended up picking up the stuff that comes in a bag for 5 gallons of water. Oceanic Natural Sea Salt mix i believe it is. I was going with the ease of 5 gallon size. The water change at the end of the cycle will probably be an even 5 gallons of water (50% of the tank)

Crystal Sea is a very good salt and is what we use at our store, if you can find it. I have read that the oceanic salt has a very high level of calcium, search around the forums about it. (that's good BTW).

Blind Tree Frog

It's the fish on it that sold me :D

Honestly, the reason I picked up the 5gallon bag was two fold. Compared to the Coralife it was more expensive per gallon... not really a great trait to judge quality on, but there is a certain truth to price vs quality. Also, when I first set everything up, it was the salt the LFS souggested. Maybe they were going for the extra profit, but it worked well, so i didn't see a reason to switch just yet in the inital water change.

It's worked well enough so far, but i haven't really done enough to judge.

matt the fiddler

Oceanic is the best salt you can get.. period- good choice. all my buddies with the 3000 gallon+ frag systems swear by it.... i agree :)

Archived