Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

No Flow Coral?

Broseff

1 hour ago, Tired said:

Wasn't there a tank journal on here of someone trying to make a tiny closed system where xenia was the only source of flow? I don't remember how that worked out. I'm not sure how well it was working at the start, I don't recall it doing anything wild one way or the other, but it was an interesting idea. Of course, xenia has to be happy to pulse (and will never pulse in some tanks, despite seemingly being happy), so you'd have to make sure it had enough oxygen to recover from shipping and perk up enough to start moving. 

I'm sure that if there's any chance of it working, it would be a very delicate balance of things.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

it's been 2 more weeks. any update?

this might be useless to point out - but all water that's liquid has motion, at a molecular level. for that reason i believe you won't find differences in temperature in different parts of a tank to any great degree unless the tank is humongous. BUT that motion isn't enough to transfer oxygen and CO2 and other molecules, let alone move detritus and food particles. 

just how i see it anyway. someone prove me wrong please.

Murphs_Reef
On 4/4/2021 at 10:12 PM, Broseff said:

So, I bought a couple of corals a week ago. 

Xenia does not like having no flow.

GSP and Blue Anthelia have been fine with it. 

Interesting that the GSP doesn't mind no flow, mine (have have 5 of differing types) need full flow for the full colony to open up.

3 hours ago, Murphych said:

Interesting that the GSP doesn't mind no flow, mine (have have 5 of differing types) need full flow for the full colony to open up fully. 

Ya any time i tried keeping gsp, it was moat successful with a good amount of flow. 

• Like 1

Xenia did not make it in no flow. 

Anthelia was COVERED in hair algae when I bought it. It didn't take kindly to how I tried to get rid of the algae. 

GSP was fine, it closed up for a while. I recently moved it into my tank where it receives low flow and it's doing good. 

I had aiptasia in now flow and it completly nuked the container all of sudden. So I'm straying away from this idea for a while. 

I'll get back to it when I have more time over summer.