Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

NanoBob's zoa issues....

NanoBob

Copied from the pico forum......

Hi everyone, I introduced 4 zoa frags a few weeks ago and all was well.  Everything opened and seemed to be happy and growing.  Well 3 days ago I noticed one of the frag polyps weren't opening and the trend seems to be working its way across the tank.  All my water parameters check out and I haven't made any changes to lighting intensity or duration.  They are in my 5 gallon tank and as low as I can put them.  I have a Fluval NANO Marine light on the tank, my daylight settings are as follows:

pink 71

cyan 57

blue 86

purple 70

cold wht 66

Like I said they were doing great and multiplying and now there is trouble in river city.  Any ideas will be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers,

Bob.

Christopher Marks

What is your maintenance routine like? How often do you do a partial water change? How long has your reef tank been up and running? 

Zoanthids can be a little fussy, there may not be one specific thing wrong. One thing that I've noticed is that they seem to prefer slightly 'dirty' water, a system with some nutrients in the water (nitrates and phosphates). Newer nano reef systems may lack those nutrients, or over filtration on a tank from frequent water changes, or even lots of macro algae growing, could contribute to low available nutrients.

I don't do routine water changes just to do them.  I let the water tell me, if it needs it I change it (3-25% changes done in 2 months).  The system is only a couple of months old.  I test weekly and my parameters are stable.  This is the first time I have tried to maintain such a small system and it can be a challenge.  Like i said, things were looking really good, everyone was wide open and new polyps were popping up and then bang!  Only one of the 4 frags are open on a regular basis.  The others haven't died, but they are always closed and getting smaller.  I am trying not to panic and will leave everything alone for a few days, but it is killin' me!!!

Cheers!

Bob.