Coral Vue Hydros

Does my ATO reservoir need water circulation?

Zer0

I've never considered it before because I've never used an ATO reservoir before the setup that I have now, but it made me wonder if I needed to have circulation in there so that the water doesn't become stagnant. I don't know if it matters, but it's approximately 2 gallons.

Any thoughts/suggestions/advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

No need for flow.

Some folks have issue with mildew though.  (Sometimes RODI filters might be left in service too long.  Ahem.)

When that happens to me I treat the ATO water with bleach (see public guidelines for safe drinking water....something like 16 drops per gallon) and fill the reservoir a little extra full so that everything is covered.  

Zero effect on the tank because concentration is minuscule to begin with (you can drink it!) AND it's only added in tiny increments to a 125 gallon tank.  

And it takes care of the mildew almost permanently, so it's almost a one-time thing.

It's also fun to dose other things in there too.  

If I find that the tank is low on Ca or Alk, the differential dose can go into the ATO and the system gets corrected over the course of a week or so as the bucket empties.

I've run a Tunze 5074 Kalkreactor in there for long periods of time before.

Iodine dosing has happened there.  Probably more stuff I can't remember too.

Of course usually it's just pure water.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, mcarroll said:

No need for flow.

Some folks have issue with mildew though.  (Sometimes RODI filters might be left in service too long.  Ahem.)

When that happens to me I treat the ATO water with bleach (see public guidelines for safe drinking water....something like 16 drops per gallon) and fill the reservoir a little extra full so that everything is covered.  

Zero effect on the tank because concentration is minuscule to begin with (you can drink it!) AND it's only added in tiny increments to a 125 gallon tank.  

And it takes care of the mildew almost permanently, so it's almost a one-time thing.

It's also fun to dose other things in there too.  

If I find that the tank is low on Ca or Alk, the differential dose can go into the ATO and the system gets corrected over the course of a week or so as the bucket empties.

I've run a Tunze 5074 Kalkreactor in there for long periods of time before.

Iodine dosing has happened there.  Probably more stuff I can't remember too.

Of course usually it's just pure water.

Thanks. I didn't think I needed it, but I just wanted to be sure. Will keep in mind the bit about the bleach!

• Like 1