Innovative Marine Aquariums

Where do you place your thermometer?

Reef4Red

Where do you place your theremometer?  

I am moving up from a 10 gallon to a 60 gallon thin tank.  It's about 4 1/2 long so not sure where to place the theremoter to get an accurate reading.  I was thinking of placing it on the other side of the heater so that would give me a reading of the lowest temp.  Not sure if the temperated guage is really accurate across the entire tank.

• Like 1

The sump, so it doesn't detract from the display. In the overflow section, which (similar to what you are saying) is the "furthest" from the heater, as the water isn't heated until the return section.

I have the thermometer for my heater controller in the drain compartment of my sump. 

I also have one in the display by the overflow...it tries to get sucked into my circulators but I won't let it die. 

Murphs_Reef
20 minutes ago, tzink said:

The sump, so it doesn't detract from the display. In the overflow section, which (similar to what you are saying) is the "furthest" from the heater, as the water isn't heated until the return section.

Just for shits and giggles where is your heater ?

DISQUALIFIED-QQ

You could get a digital thermometer as the probe that goes in the water has a smaller form factor. With that, you could just about put it anywhere, maybe furthest away from your heat source.

1 hour ago, Murphych said:

Just for shits and giggles where is your heater ?

Most put it in the skimmer section. I have both my controller and heater in the overflow chamber of the sump because I have a giant heater.

Doesn't matter really though - if the probe and heater are next to each other, your DT will be a degree or two cooler than the set temperature and if the heater is downstream of the probe in the sump, your DT will be a little cooler. Doesn't matter at all though as long as it's semi stable.

Anywhere with a decent amount of flow should be fine, though preferably not right next to your heater. I have an AIO tank, and my temperature probe is in a back compartment, but not one of the compartments with the heater in it. Right near your pump would probably be good- that should give you a rough average of the tank temperature.