SaltCritters.com

Eating blenny but skinny

el_pablo

Hi,

I have a bicolour blenny in my BioCube 32. He’s been in my tank for 4 months. He’s eating pretty much, but he is getting very skinny. I fear that I’ll lose him I the next few weeks. Is he sick or he has parasite?

Thanks

Some pics would help.

Is the tank also 4 months old, or how old is it?

What are you feeding him?  How often?

What have you tried to get him to eat more?

Does he seem to have normal bowel movements?

21 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Some pics would help.

Is the tank also 4 months old, or how old is it?

What are you feeding him?  How often?

What have you tried to get him to eat more?

Does he seem to have normal bowel movements?

The tank is four months old.

He grazes the glasses and the rocks. He also eat spectrum pellets every day. I would say, he eats normally. 

He does poop green.

20210303_200227.jpg

20210303_200237.jpg

16148203307944269082982913214486.jpg

Eating and losing weight isn't good, but hopefully treatable.....I'm not sure tho.  Internal issues like this are often the most impossible issues to treat. 

Nematodes or tapeworms are two possible infections that might be happening.

Sounds like what you'd feeding him is good – even so I would upgrade him to live and whole frozen types of foods as much as possible.

And up his feedings to as much as he will readily consume....as many times a day as you can deal with.

If you want to try medicating, READ UP ON WHATEVER YOU CHOOSE TO DO.  

But it appears that API Fluke Tabs or PraziQuantel (each treats a different possible infection...nematodes or tapeworms, repspectively) will be the most likely to help.  I'd say choose whatever is most accessible to you....e.g. if the LFS carries API Fluke Tabs, start there.  

Some further reading here, but a lot of it is non-specific and doesn't help you narrow down what you are actually treating: 

If you can swing it, I'd suggest getting some books on fish care.  Include something that focuses on diseases/problems like the one by Jay Hemdal which is hopefully linked here (reefs.com has mangled up the old saltwater smarts website in their purchase of it):

https://reefs.com/magazine/book-review/

It's a cheapie at $15 per download – totally worth it.  

But if you're in it to win it and price isn't a huge deal, then check out Ed Noga's text book "Fish Disease: Diagnosis and Treatment".  It's a hard-core reference book and costs like it....about $130+.   You might find a better deal on a download, but it tends to be pricey.  Worth it.