Coral Vue Hydros

What spectrum would you choose for a 3-, 4-, or 7-up LED assembly?

Adiantum

I want to build a tiny light for a 1 gal pico. Planning to grow real easy, potentially "weedy' corals, most likely. But I am not sure if I want a 3-, 4-, or 7-up assembly. Rather than deal with multiple chips, for such a small setup, I'd rather use a custom unit for ease of assembly (I have only very basic wiring/soldering skills, though I can get help from a relative) and the sake of space. I think maybe 7 LEDs is overkill for a one-gallon jar? 

I was leaning towards just getting the 3-up, but a 4-up would be ok as well. I'd love some thoughts on this. I'm looking at something like this: https://www.ledsupply.com/leds/custom-3-up-luxeon-high-power-led

What number of LEDs would you choose? Based on that, what spectrum would you choose for the light?

4 minutes ago, growsomething said:

Maybe this fits the bill for you? Or gives you an idea?

It's pricy for a jar and may not fit a 1 g, but stops evap top off needs and has 24w with 2 dimmable channels. 

https://www.reefsmart.com/

There are several threads here on nr that were using it.

Yes, I've seen the picopro lights being used. While I like the look, it's more money than I have to spend right now. I'm looking to do a small diy light as I have a heatsink, powersupply, and couple things already available to me that I can wire something up with. I'm just stuck on number of LEDs and colors, since I tend to prefer full spec. or something close to it. Just not sure how many LEDs would be sufficient for such a small body of water. 

• Like 1

Key question is,what spectrum are you looking for ? A balance between 14kish with a good balance of white/royal blue,heavy blue or all blue ? 

I would say a 4 led array. 2 royal blue,1 neutral white and 1 violet. 

StevesLeds has 3up's fully customizable,with Luxeon ES leds. I would use a 350mah driver from LEDsupply to drive them. Any led at 700mah is going to be complete overkill for this sized tank. 

I have built TONS of lights,so if you want info or recommendations just message me. 

Ledgroupbuy also has solderless leds you can use,but with their brand leds you have to buy a 2 pack but they are cheap. 

Also,are you wanting just on and off or do you want dimming ? 1 channel or 2 ?

11 minutes ago, Reefkid88 said:

Key question is,what spectrum are you looking for ? A balance between 14kish with a good balance of white/royal blue,heavy blue or all blue ? 

I would say a 4 led array. 2 royal blue,1 neutral white and 1 violet. 

StevesLeds has 3up's fully customizable,with Luxeon ES leds. I would use a 350mah driver from LEDsupply to drive them. Any led at 700mah is going to be complete overkill for this sized tank. 

I have built TONS of lights,so if you want info or recommendations just message me. 

Ledgroupbuy also has solderless leds you can use,but with their brand leds you have to buy a 2 pack but they are cheap. 

Also,are you wanting just on and off or do you want dimming ? 1 channel or 2 ?

I’d like a balance of white to blue. I will look into ledgroupbuy. I intend to use a dimmer for these, putting them all on one channel. 

@Reefkid88 Thank you for the helpful feedback! I have an existing jar that I want to use, though I was considering upgrading that to a 2 or 2.5 gallon anchor hocking jar. Since my goal is to grow Sarcothelia with something else easy/weedy (posted  about this elsewhere), I don't want something very large. I am also limited on space right now.