Pod Your Reef

Cycling question

JordanD321

Hi all, 

first time posting so hopefully i've chosen the right discussion!

Im currently cycling my 10g water box cube with Dr Tims ammonia/ one and only, 10 days in.  I've followed the directions correctly and avoided dosing any more ammonia if the reading is above 2ppm in this case the only time i've dosed was day 1. Im currently using RedSea test kits and my results are as pictured. 

my question is my nitrite and nitrate have been climbing quite significantly over the last week as you can see, but my ammonia has dropped but then almost seem's stuck at 1.2ppm my understanding is that as nitrite climbs, ammonia drops and so on for nitrate. 

I know that it's early on i just imagined i would see a decrease in ammonia as there is an increase elsewhere...

if anyone has any advice, should i do a water change or just leave it a little longer?

and if you need any more info please feel free to ask 🙂  temp - 25.5/26 apex el  salinity ( 1.025) i have heard the bacteria likes low salinity so i could drop that if people think its worth it. also Im using lfs ro/di water but have my own unit arriving tomorrow. i did not test the water before starting the cycle.

thanks for the help in advance 🙂 

Happy reefing,

Jordan

155577041_198858351988768_5230594259193315234_n.jpg

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

Welcome to Nano-Reef @JordanD321!

What else is in the tank while you are cycling it? Did you add any bagged live sand, or cultured rock from a LFS, or live rock? Things seem to be on track with your cycle still, for what it's worth.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I have added CaribSea aragonite live sand  and also CaribSea life rock - opted against live rock because of potential pests. 

Im running  Seachem Matrix in the back with a couple maxspect nano tech bio blocks for now 🙂

I did think I was probably just being impatient I appreciate the reassurance! 

• Like 1
Christopher Marks

Sounds good. The live sand is likely providing the additional ammonia to the tank, so your readings don't seem unsual.

You could ride this out, or dose a little more ammonia and watch it start to process down to zero again.

You're getting close! 🙂 

• Thanks 1

That makes total sense now., I would not have thought of that!

you've certainly put my mind at rest, thanks for that. 

I might give it a few more days see if it drops a shade lighter then add in a couple more drops.  getting excited lol! 

the process has been so fun and the forum has been such a great resource i've enjoyed lurking in the shadows watching everyones tanks ha!!

great to have a dedicated Nano-reef  Forum 🙂

• Like 1