Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Newbie Question - Lighting 22gal Long

QuarantineReefer

QuarantineReefer

So I'm looking to try starting a 22 gallon tank in the next few months. I'd like to do a mostly SPS setup with it. The tank I'm hoping to get if it comes in stock in time is the Aquamaxx. It measures 36x12x12. I was wondering if anyone with more experience would be able to tell me if I could get adequate PAR and spread with two AI Prime 16HD's to do what I want or if I need to look at something else? Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

• Christopher Marks changed the title to Newbie Question - Lighting 22gal Long

Each light will have to cover a 12x18" area, so it's not quite ideal...but might not be that big a deal.  A set of LED strips would be really ideal for such a long, narrow, low tank.

QuarantineReefer
23 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Each light will have to cover a 12x18" area, so it's not quite ideal...but might not be that big a deal.  A set of LED strips would be really ideal for such a long, narrow, low tank.

So the tank I wanted I can't actually find in stock anywhere. So I'm actually looking at a tank that would be 39x13x13ish so I was thinking maybe 3 Primes above it. What would you suggest for strip lights as an alternative?

QuarantineReefer
2 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Probably whatever they sell close to you.  What's available?

So unfortunately where I am at the nearest store is about an hour drive. I go there a couple times a month but the only lights I have seen that they had are some of the Prime HD's and some of the Reefbrite lights that you would use to compliment your T5's I think. So I'd probably have to order whatever I used anyways. The next closest store would be roughly 2 hours out.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, QuarantineReefer said:

I go there a couple times a month but the only lights I have seen that they had are some of the Prime HD's and some of the Reefbrite lights that you would use to compliment your T5's I think.

Either of those would be fine in my book.  I'd probably call ahead since they are so far – make sure what they have actually in stock – and go take a look.  Obviously if they have Prime's you're set for that option.   If you want to consider the Reefbrite strips (supplementing T5's with them isn't the best use...just one use), you'd want them to be about as long as your tank...a *little* shorter is OK.  As long as they fit like that you shouldn't have to worry about the power, it should be right.  I'd think about using two strips.  While you're on the phone with them, why not ask if there's any other brands they can order for you....eg. Kessil or Current USA if you're interested in those?  You never know: some stores special order, some don't like to....you have to find out.

• Like 1
QuarantineReefer
8 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Either of those would be fine in my book.  I'd probably call ahead since they are so far – make sure what they have actually in stock – and go take a look.  Obviously if they have Prime's you're set for that option.   If you want to consider the Reefbrite strips (supplementing T5's with them isn't the best use...just one use), you'd want them to be about as long as your tank...a *little* shorter is OK.  As long as they fit like that you shouldn't have to worry about the power, it should be right.  I'd think about using two strips.  While you're on the phone with them, why not ask if there's any other brands they can order for you....eg. Kessil or Current USA if you're interested in those?  You never know: some stores special order, some don't like to....you have to find out.

I've gotten to be pretty decent friends with them in the time that I have had my tank I've got now going. They have ordered me some things before so I'm sure they'd order whatever they could for me. A couple Reefbrite strips would be nice just for the clean look and I'd get even full tank coverage I would think. It might even be easier to mount. Honestly, I had even considered the Viparspectra off of Amazon but leaned more towards the Prime to support my LFS. But I might look more into the ReefBrites just because of fewer power cords. Do you happen to no if they have the ability to ramp up and down like the Primes?

2 hours ago, QuarantineReefer said:

But I might look more into the ReefBrites just because of fewer power cords. Do you happen to no if they have the ability to ramp up and down like the Primes?

I think not, but I'm not really sure.  It could be a matter of just adding a controller, or it could be that it's not possible.  While you're on the phone with them....or you could shoot a message to Reefbrite.  Nothing wrong with the Prime option either....except maybe it's a bit more complicated.  Kessil, Current USA are some others to think about if they happen to be able/interested in ordering other brands.

• Like 1
QuarantineReefer
2 hours ago, mcarroll said:

I think not, but I'm not really sure.  It could be a matter of just adding a controller, or it could be that it's not possible.  While you're on the phone with them....or you could shoot a message to Reefbrite.  Nothing wrong with the Prime option either....except maybe it's a bit more complicated.  Kessil, Current USA are some others to think about if they happen to be able/interested in ordering other brands.

I'm taking my time on this one so I'll look into all the options you've given me. Thank you for all your help!

I have the same tank, all SPS, but the Mr. Aqua brand. Two primes would be highly dependent on your scaping, but three would be perfect. I went with three and have little to no shadowing with full coverage. Here's my build thread, if you want to see the details. GLW with your build. I love the 22 long, it's a beautiful tank. 

• Like 1
QuarantineReefer
9 hours ago, tmc1313 said:

I have the same tank, all SPS, but the Mr. Aqua brand. Two primes would be highly dependent on your scaping, but three would be perfect. I went with three and have little to no shadowing with full coverage. Here's my build thread, if you want to see the details. GLW with your build. I love the 22 long, it's a beautiful tank. 

That looks awesome! I'm glad I've got time to think this all over because every time I see a new tank I like, I change my mind lol