inTank Media Baskets

Silicone AIO Divider - How Long Before Water?

HockeyDrumsFish

HockeyDrumsFish

Ok, seems like many different opinions on this, but for those who have...

I built an AIO baffle set up out of acrylic and siliconed it in to both of the Aquamaxx 12L tanks I'm setting up.  Obviously I want to get going on the 'test for leaks' and cycling processes, so....

How long should I wait before I can a) put some fresh water in to test for leaks/etc. and b) load up to start cycling?

I used this stuff based on recommendations here - Momentive RTV 103 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004V40CDG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

Follow product tech data sheets

The cure process begins with the formation of a skin on the exposed surface of the sealant and progresses inward through the material. At 25°C (77°F) and 50% relative humidity, RTV102, RTV103, RTV106, RTV108, RTV109, RTV112 and RTV116 sealants will form a surface skin which is tack-free to the touch in 15 to 30 minutes. Once the tack-free skin has begun to form, further tooling of the adhesive sealant is not advisable.

Higher temperatures and humidity will accelerate the cure process low temperatures and low humidity will slow the cure rate.

As the adhesive sealant cures, acetic acid vapors are released from the sealant surface. The odor of acetic acid will completely disappear when curing is completed

A 3mm (1/8 in.) section of adhesive sealant will cure through in approximately 24 hours at 25°C (77°F) and 50% R.H. Since cure time increases with thickness, use of these adhesive sealants should be limited to section thicknesses of 6mm (1/4 in.) or less.

https://www.momentive.com/en-us/products/tds/rtv100-series?productid=3217c5bb-cbdf-491b-b9a8-38cfad893e1b

• Like 2
HockeyDrumsFish

Yeah, that's the product data but as we all know, everything's a bit different in the aquarium hobby.  One thing to put silicone on a window or car.  Quite another to put in a water box that's gonna house expensive and sensitive critters.

aSaltyKlown

It doesn't matter what application is you are using it for.  It will cure in the the same amount of time if it's used in a tank, window or even a gasket that holds in the blood of a cars engine.  Depending on thickness, 24 hours should be good, if you are worried then wait 48 hours.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Jakesaw said:

Follow product tech data sheets

Ditto.  Follow the directions – an be thankful when a product has good directions to follow.  👍

2 hours ago, HockeyDrumsFish said:

Yeah, that's the product data but as we all know, everything's a bit different in the aquarium hobby.  One thing to put silicone on a window or car.  Quite another to put in a water box that's gonna house expensive and sensitive critters.

Thankfully that is not the case – it behaves the same almost no matter where you use it.  That's what makes silicone great at what it does.  😉

But following directions is crucial.  If it can't cure properly (e.g. too large a bead) then it might not perform as expected.

Christopher Marks

Since it's winter time and ambient household temperatures are lower, and the air tends to be drier too, I would give it 48 hours just to be sure. Repairing it later would be a frustrating experience, 48 hours gives peace of mind.

• Like 1
  • Christopher Marks changed the title to Silicone AIO Divider - How Long Before Water?
HockeyDrumsFish

Thanks all.  I'll put water, lineattus wrasses, 14 mandarins, 86 tilefish and a peppermint angel in within 15 minutes of putting the silicone on.   🙂

Nah seriously, did it all yesterday afternoon so will wait until Tues night (48 hours) to do my thing.

• Like 1
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Echoing from what everyone has already implied, when working with Silicone it's 24 hours or longer depending on the ambient temp of the room, garage space and the humidity of the room as well.  If those two factors are say 50-55% humidity 75-78F temp the Silicone should be able to be tested in 24 hours.

There is no rush, in getting this cured currently!  Take your time here with the wait, nothing more frustrating than having to deal with removing and resetting  the silicone again, messy and smelly, I personally hate the smell and when it adheres to all surfaces for getting smeared and sticks to everything!

I would be more concerned that you take your time when you pump the gun to expel the silicone so you get an even bead all the way across, that is more important than rushing for it to cure.

A water test should be done on it in 48 hours, that would give you plenty of assurance the glue has fused into a water tight seal.  Hope that helps out....

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, HockeyDrumsFish said:

Nah seriously, did it all yesterday afternoon so will wait until Tues night (48 hours) to do my thing.

YOu should be fine then.  I'd give it a quick sniff test too, as directions say it gives off acetic acid smell when it's curing.  48 hrs + no stink

• Like 2
Micro-Reefs Aquariums
5 hours ago, Jakesaw said:

YOu should be fine then.  I'd give it a quick sniff test too, as directions say it gives off acetic acid smell when it's curing.  48 hrs + no stink

I hated that smell and when it got stuck on my clothes and hands, LOL It is worse then coloring my hair color black and then I get black all over my forehead, and I have a huge forehead and when I return to work, all my students say Mr. Guerrero what is on your forehead?  I am well, I fell in a strawberry patch.... lol

• Haha 1