Top Shelf Aquatics

I’m back!!!!

I'm Batman

Sorry everyone, a lot of life stuff going on, an early mid-life crisis and some other factors have had me in the fritz and non social. 

I can assure you I’m back tho and have quite a few updates.

Dino’s are taking over the 20 peninsula with no solution coming soon, I feel like I’ve tried everything except @brandon429’s rip clean.

My 4.1 Pico is running well thanks to @The Rainy Day Aquarium’s media basket. Have flatworms now thanks to reefcleaners.org macro algae.... absolutely hate flatworms and haven’t had them since my JBJ 6g planarian outbreak from a local reefer 3 years ago.

I’m still working on a lighting solution for @Micro-Reefs Aquariums 1.5g talk Pico. Ordered everything but think I’m going to go reef breeders - just need to finalize and cycle. Look for a text soon. 

@seabass @mcarroll @debbeach13 

I’m still working on the frag tank build. I have $2,000 of corals in an IM20 that need to move quickly. After 3 months of waiting for glass to come in on this AM 60g 48”x24”x12” and a fall out with a business partner, my 3/4” plywood stand topper is not plumb and has a warp... looking for a better solution for FLAT & STRAIGHT wood...

60 frag tank

B5B956BD-1377-434C-9E8F-D659E86F7429.thumb.jpeg.9939e0ce9cd1304593c6ec623bf2e91b.jpeg

20 DIY Dino peninsula

88B3602B-4520-42A5-B1A8-E6929AED4CA5.thumb.jpeg.2253e32f06903966e13a99b8704adf2f.jpeg

Lifeguard 4.1g

E44E7DD3-CBC1-4ADF-9E9E-B405272782F6.thumb.jpeg.2e16ffad99383661ccccfdb433f294e1.jpeg

• Like 3
9 hours ago, I'm Batman said:

my 3/4” plywood stand topper is not plumb and has a warp... looking for a better solution for FLAT & STRAIGHT wood

Would the tank frame rest on the stand without the plywood top?  Because a framed tank doesn't need support across the entire bottom.  That said, the weight of the tank full of water might just flatten out the plywood.

However, if you are set on using that particular piece of plywood, I might glue and screw it down with a pocket hole jig.  They are great when building stands (and other projects).

But you might be fine by just gluing it down using clamps.  Make sure that you sand off the finish from the top of the stand so that the wood glue sticks.

And if you don't have clamps, I would place the plywood on a flat floor, to glue the stand (upside down).  You might have to add additional weight to the stand, in order to straighten it out.  Once dried, it should be sturdy enough.  Plus the weight of the tank will help keep it flat and secure.

:welcome: back!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, I'm Batman said:

Have flatworms now thanks to reefcleaners.org macro algae.... absolutely hate flatworms and haven’t had them since my JBJ 6g planarian outbreak from a local reefer 3 years ago.

Haha, I just ordered some macroalgae from them, just for the biodiversity.  What kind of flatworm are they?  There's a good chance that they are benign and won't take over your tank.  That said, I get your prejudice against them.  And you probably don't want to sell frags that have hitchhiking flatworms (benign or not).

Flatworm eXit is the obvious choice to try to get rid of them.  I've successfully used it before.  I also seemed to have (or develop) a resistant strain.  I ended up treating with levamisole to get rid of them; which is strange, because people claim that Flatworm eXit contains levamisole (although it might be something similar).

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, seabass said:

You might have to add additional weight to the stand, in order to straighten it out.  Once dried, it should be sturdy enough.  Plus the weight of the tank will help keep it flat and secure

Genius! Unfortunately, the stand is stuck in the basement as it won’t make it up the landing and curve around to the next set of stairs! I like your style as always!!

I’ll be looking for maple plywood. I just figured the plywood would be the best for the most level base, dimensional labor at the low-depot are crap for plumbness...

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, seabass said:

What kind of flatworm are they?  There's a good chance that they are benign and won't take over your tank. 

They’re the copedod color like a translucent white grey. Mostly only in the areas with algae on the glass. Think they may be benign, however I’m not a fan!

Thanks for the warm welcome. Was reading some old posts of yours that came up in a search result from 2013!!

• Like 2

When I see the little white/tan flat worms on the glass I pick them off. I do not see any ill effects from them. I hand pick stuff out to keep it in control, Spaghetti worms, asterina snails, bristle worms.

• Like 2