Pod Your Reef

Regular Under Sink Water Filter? Not RODI?

eggtrain

I understand what tap water does. I have been buying water for my small 6 gallon tank for years and it is moronic. It's so expensive. I want to get an under sink for drinking. Is a non-RO or non-RODI pointless for the tank? If I get a high quality water filter for drinking that is not RO or RODI isn't that a huge step up from regular tap water? Has anyone tried? I want to upgrade to a 14 gallon tank but will not if I have to keep buying water. 

I will get two if I have to but I don't want to. Not interested in drinking RODI water. 

Thanks! 

Is there a reason you don't want to buy RO/DI unit?

i was buying water from local LFS for the past month getting set up. I probably spent 40 bucks in water with a few mistakes learning the hobby.  Grabbed a budget 75gbd from BRS for 135 on Presidents day sale.  It's bulky and I haven't decided where to permanently house yet, but I've made 15 gallons of water out of it in a week and already saved 15 bucks.  In a year it'll have easily paid for itself and when I want a 2nd or bigger tank I don't have to factor LFS water into the cost equation. 

It's a bit bulky, takes 2 1/2 - 3 hrs to make 5 gallon water,  and currently it's a small inconvenience to move filter to mudroom sink, and put in basement when not in use.  but longer term - it's a money saver even with my minimal water use.

Rodi system is worth it in this hobby imo. I used to lug around 5gal containers when I have my last three tanks. Back breaking and made me hate doing water changes. 

I can’t speak for what the water is like from just a purifier. But you could always measure the tds and chlorine /chloramines of the water thats filtered. 

You may find that you need a booster pump for an rodi system or it will take forever to make water. I have a 100gpd system that runs at 80psi. Takes about 30mins for five gallons worth.

25 minutes ago, Elizabeth94 said:

You may find that you need a booster pump for an rodi system or it will take forever to make water. I have a 100gpd system that runs at 80psi. Takes about 30mins for five gallons worth.

75 gpd is about 1.5 gallons per hour

2 hours = about 5 gallon.  

I'm running it today and it's actually producing a bit faster than last weekend.

I could boost pressure a little bit, but saving a half our for my purposes is pretty nominal.  Not worth it, and the pressure limiter could very well be the newer faucet i'm attached to as I'm not direct to water line.

Current setup works for me fine right now-, but appreciate the advice. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Jakesaw said:

Is there a reason you don't want to buy RO/DI unit?

i was buying water from local LFS for the past month getting set up. I probably spent 40 bucks in water with a few mistakes learning the hobby.  Grabbed a budget 75gbd from BRS for 135 on Presidents day sale.  It's bulky and I haven't decided where to permanently house yet, but I've made 15 gallons of water out of it in a week and already saved 15 bucks.  In a year it'll have easily paid for itself and when I want a 2nd or bigger tank I don't have to factor LFS water into the cost equation. 

It's a bit bulky, takes 2 1/2 - 3 hrs to make 5 gallon water,  and currently it's a small inconvenience to move filter to mudroom sink, and put in basement when not in use.  but longer term - it's a money saver even with my minimal water use.

Thanks. I wanted one for drinking too. Not sure where I would even put a separate one. It would be a lot of plumbing 😞

Thanks though! 

1 hour ago, eggtrain said:

Thanks. I wanted one for drinking too. Not sure where I would even put a separate one. It would be a lot of plumbing 😞

Thanks though! 

You can get a quick connect system for a kitchen sink faucet. I did that when I was in an apartment. I stored the system under the sink when not in use. Others have done the same, but in a bathroom. The key is to put your ro/di container in a sink or tub so that when you DO forget you're making water, it doesn't flood the room. 

It really doesn't have to take up too much room. 

• Like 1
The Rainy Day Aquarium

9 minutes ago, kimberbee said:

when you DO forget you're making water

This seems like a simple thing to do, but can save your bacon. I flooded our ketchen by not doing this when we went out for a half a day and I forgot I was making water. Oops.  

I agree that an RODI system is the way to go. I just have a small and cheap RO buddy in our bathroom that works great and takes up little room compared to other "fancier" models. I just screwed in one of these inline adapters on the cold water hose going to the sink faucet:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KIJZE0S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_HGKK67T042JCM1MBWK6P

and it works like a charm, no crazy permanent plumbing required 😊

• Like 1

Water filter that isn't rodi(including RO) isn't a huge step up.

Its quality for drinking but not reefing.

There will still be tds levels, nitrates, phos, and a slew of other crap we can't test for in it.

Your filter choice and brand should be based on your city water quality and treatment because every area is different.

I have high tds in my water and treated with chlorine and chloramines. An RO buddy would not cut it here- i needed 5 stage rodi with chloramine carbon, i webt through di every 2 months.

So the first thing to do is get a water report before deciding on what system you NEED

• 1 month later...
On 2/28/2021 at 5:30 PM, eggtrain said:

Thanks though! 

You can just T off the line and make RO for drinking in a reservoir and RODI for your reef on demand. All you do is T it off before the DI section. You can add one of those carbon filters for 'taste' to that drinking line if you want.

No reason you can't have both for a $1 part. This is exactly how mine is set up. It is just a valve I turn.