inTank Media Baskets

Hammer coral - not very hammer like?

Chris O

Hi All,

I was given 4 heads of hammer coral about 2 months ago. It seems to be doing fine. It extends out everyday and appears healthy, but doesn't seem to be all that hammer like? The mouth extends very far out and creates almost a flat face with the tentacles fully extended around the mouth. The tentacles are also not very hammer like at the end. Is this really a hammer coral? Is it a specific type of hammer coral? Any feedback/ commentary is d, I attached a picture for reference. 

Hammer.jpg

Definitely a euphyllia, and definitely leaning towards a hammer, there are a bunch of different morphs, shapes, and colors. I think this qualifies as what most refer to as a "frammer", where it has a bit of the appearance of both a hammer and a frogspawn.

There are many types of hybrid euphyllia too and they are pretty common. It looks like it could be a hammer + frogspawn or a torch + frogspawn to me. It certainly makes ID'ing euphullia tricky since it seems they can all mix and I suppose a frammer could mix with a torchspawn to make the waters even muddier. 

https://reefbuilders.com/2020/07/22/hybrid-euphyllia-coral-are-more-common-than-we-think/

• Like 2