Top Shelf Aquatics

24 Gallon Stocking Help

RyanReef

Hey all

So the tank has been running a few weeks now and I just went through the diatom phase. Everything seems stable and to be going well.

I am curious about stocking ideas for this tank. With rocks and everything, I am sitting at about 16 gallons of actual water in the display.

Fish - I have 2 small Clowns in there right now.

CUC - currently made up of just 3 little blue-leg hermits. I am getting a tiger conch this weekend and probably 3-4 banded trochus snails.

Corals - so far I have 1 hairy mushroom, 1 florida ricordea muchroom, 1 hammer coral, 1 duncan, a small zoa colony, and a rock with some GSP.

Am I pretty much at the limit or could I throw in (down the road) a royal gramma or some kind of goby? Or any other cool suggestions.

Thanks all!

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, RyanReef said:

Hey all

So the tank has been running a few weeks now and I just went through the diatom phase. Everything seems stable and to be going well.

I am curious about stocking ideas for this tank. With rocks and everything, I am sitting at about 16 gallons of actual water in the display.

Fish - I have 2 small Clowns in there right now.

CUC - currently made up of just 3 little blue-leg hermits. I am getting a tiger conch this weekend and probably 3-4 banded trochus snails.

Corals - so far I have 1 hairy mushroom, 1 florida ricordea muchroom, 1 hammer coral, 1 duncan, a small zoa colony, and a rock with some GSP.

Am I pretty much at the limit or could I throw in (down the road) a royal gramma or some kind of goby? Or any other cool suggestions.

Thanks all!

I would say no to the royal gramma but yes to any of the small gobies........I like Green Banded Gobies....they have a lot of personality and provide some movement in the tank.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I would say no to the royal gramma but yes to any of the small gobies........I like Green Banded Gobies....they have a lot of personality and provide some movement in the tank.

Thanks! Because of the size or temperament of the gramma?

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, RyanReef said:

Thanks! Because of the size or temperament of the gramma?

minimum tank size for a gramma is 30 gallons......and they can be territorial which could be a problem in a small tank.

• Like 1

I would stick with a small goby or blenny and thats it for fish.

If the tank is fairly young, i'd skip the conch. They need a lot of food and quickly clean up a nano's sand bed. 

A new system can't provide the food they need

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, WV Reefer said:

I would say no to the royal gramma but yes to any of the small gobies.......

Would you feel the same about a 29 gallon standard Aqueon aquarium?  I've grown quite fond of R Grama and it was a fish I was leaning toward if I start up my 29 Gallon for reef down the road

• Like 2
Just now, Jakesaw said:

Would you feel the same about a 29 gallon standard Aqueon aquarium?  I've grown quite fond of R Grama and it was a fish I was leaning toward if I start up my 29 Gallon for reef down the road

it depends on what else is in the tank......the OP has clownfish which are territorial also and could be a problem with the gramma when staking claim to an area in a small space.  

1 minute ago, Firefish15 said:

29g would probably be fine. Just be sure to provide a decent number of caves, crevices, and overhangs. 

Yep, that was part of my plan.  I like watching fish swim in and out of rockwork, but my 10 gal with Clown, I don't think he's swam through my cave once... lol

Just hovers above the rockscape in open area and sleeps behind my HOB filter as soon as lights go off  Occasionally will get some exercise swimming against flow from filter output.   

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Clown79 said:

I would stick with a small goby or blenny and thats it for fish.

If the tank is fairly young, i'd skip the conch. They need a lot of food and quickly clean up a nano's sand bed. 

A new system can't provide the food they need

What about nassarius snails to help with the sand? Or just wait for a while on a sand cleaning crew?

2 hours ago, RyanReef said:

What about nassarius snails to help with the sand? Or just wait for a while on a sand cleaning crew?

Nassarius and ceriths are both great

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1