Jump to content
NanoReefer2025

Bubble Tip Anemone Advice

Recommended Posts

NanoReefer2025

Hello reefers, I have come across the opportunity to obtain a bubble tip anemone for pretty cheap and was wondering if it would be worth looking into. I have a 25 gallon AIO peninsula that has two clowns, a royal gramma, and various inverts and soft corals. Unfortunately, I have been experiencing a bit of a diatom bloom, most likely because my tank is not fully established. If I were to get the anemone, it would most likely be next weekend. Would it be okay to purchase the anemone this early, or should I wait until the diatom outbreak has ended? Feel free to share any personal experiences or advice. Here is a link to my tank journal: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
DevilDuck

I think most are going to ask you to wait until your parameters stabilize or at least until the dino bloom completes itself.

 

For the record, I added a RBTA to my 3 month old tank and it is doing well.  I'm new at saltwater also so my experience may not be typical.

 

It's been a rollercoaster ride. They do wonder the tank quite a bit initially, so the first few weeks very eventful making sure it didn't sting any other coral or wedge itself into dark spot. They do weird things like expand very large then shrink down nearly into nothing for no good reason and spit out strange goo occasionally. 

 

Now, I have been struggling with keeping my alkalinity stable since coralline algae has started to appear. One of my zoa frags is pissed off and hasn't opened for a week. The RBTA seem to still be okay through my alkalinity swings. If you get a good specimen they are pretty hardy.

 

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
NanoReefer2025
3 hours ago, DevilDuck said:

I think most are going to ask you to wait until your parameters stabilize or at least until the dino bloom completes itself.

 

For the record, I added a RBTA to my 3 month old tank and it is doing well.  I'm new at saltwater also so my experience may not be typical.

 

It's been a rollercoaster ride. They do wonder the tank quite a bit initially, so the first few weeks very eventful making sure it didn't sting any other coral or wedge itself into dark spot. They do weird things like expand very large then shrink down nearly into nothing for no good reason and spit out strange goo occasionally. 

 

Now, I have been struggling with keeping my alkalinity stable since coralline algae has started to appear. One of my zoa frags is pissed off and hasn't opened for a week. The RBTA seem to still be okay through my alkalinity swings. If you get a good specimen they are pretty hardy.

 

 

 

Thanks for your thorough response! I will consider this since my tank is just over three months old. Funny enough, I actually looked at your tank journal earlier today! The only thing that I am super concerned about is that the anemone will wander into my power head and get torn up. I wonder if anyone  sells anemone guards for pumps... Is this something I should look into before purchasing the anemone?

Share this post


Link to post
DevilDuck
22 minutes ago, NanoReefer2025 said:

Thanks for your thorough response! I will consider this since my tank is just over three months old. Funny enough, I actually looked at your tank journal earlier today! The only thing that I am super concerned about is that the anemone will wander into my power head and get torn up. I wonder if anyone  sells anemone guards for pumps... Is this something I should look into before purchasing the anemone?

Definitely get the guard or cut a sponge to fit. Power heads are a big anemone killers!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
pokerdobe

I would wait. It really isn't worth the headache dealing with a melting nem or a nem half stuck in your powerhead. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
mcarroll
On 2/24/2021 at 8:15 AM, NanoReefer2025 said:

bubble tip anemone

They get large for that size of tank....up to a foot in diameter.  

 

Once on a rock and happy they are not easy to move without moving the whole rock.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
NanoReefer2025
16 hours ago, mcarroll said:

They get large for that size of tank....up to a foot in diameter.  

 

Once on a rock and happy they are not easy to move without moving the whole rock.

I understand. I was kind of worried about that, but if it gets too big, I suppose I can just refrain from getting more corals. Anyway, I got the anemone last weekend. It wasn’t an impulse buy, I was prepared. Acclimation went smooth and it is looking healthy. Although it didn’t settle in an ideal place (in the back), I think I’ll just leave it alone.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recommended Discussions

×
×
  • Create New...