inTank Media Baskets

BioCube 32 Water level

okla4nian

Hi All,

I'm new to this type of system. I had some larger aquariums many years ago and just picked up a used BioCube 32. I set it up and it's cycled and looks good. The problem I'm having is that the back filter chambers water level is too low. It's only about 3" deep in the chamber that holds the protein skimmer so it doesn't work at all. The display part of the tank is full and looks good. I just can't bring the filtration up. I was thinking the pump may be moving too much water volume but I don't know what pump it is as there are is no identification on it. It came with the unit when I bought it. Other than that I'm at a loss for what to do. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

Neil

i never owned a biocube, that said....

how is the level when all media and racks etc are removed from the back (with the exception of pump and heater of course)? I see those have slots both at top and bottom of the chamber the filter media would go in. Does water freely flow into both top and bottom? 

The water flows freely throughout. It's just the filter reservoirs are low. Other than that it's all good. Just thought the skimmer should work and it can't without higher water level. 

You just need to add more saltwater. When it runs, it makes it so the display is full and the back chambers get low if there isn’t enough water in it. 

Well,

I tried that but if I try to add water it just fills up the display until it overfills and the back never fills up. It doesn't matter if I put the water in the display or the filter chambers the result is the same.

5 minutes ago, okla4nian said:

Well,

I tried that but if I try to add water it just fills up the display until it overfills and the back never fills up. It doesn't matter if I put the water in the display or the filter chambers the result is the same.

Can you post a pic? 

The return and center chamber. 
I just slapped myself on my forehead in a Duh moment. Is the skimmer supposed to go in the first chamber. I didn't put it there because I had put the heater there and is wouldn't fit but I can move the heater and I think the skimmer would fit the first chamber. I'll have to try that tomorrow. 

14 minutes ago, okla4nian said:

The return and center chamber. 
I just slapped myself on my forehead in a Duh moment. Is the skimmer supposed to go in the first chamber. I didn't put it there because I had put the heater there and is wouldn't fit but I can move the heater and I think the skimmer would fit the first chamber. I'll have to try that tomorrow. 

Ah yeah, I have my heater and skimmer in the first chamber in my 32. 

So are you saying if you add more water it actually goes over the rim in the display? It should normally be just below the rim when it’s running. If it’s going above that then I agree, your flow rate on the pump could be too high or there’s some kind of blockage. 
3EA1391C-A10E-485B-A879-3CD717268D83.thumb.jpeg.b51a0dfba50666979428f1429441a0db.jpeg

Well, I tried to move the skimmer to the first chamber but it doesn't fit. Know I remember why I put it in the second chamber. 

I guess I could run without one but I'd rather not.

What kind of skimmer do you have?

Spoiler

I have it in the second chamber. The first is too small and the third is the return. I have a Tunze Skimmer and it just fits with the media basket in the second chamber. They each touch the sides and each other. At this point I have removed it since it's not doing anything for the tank. 

• Like 1