Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Wall hammer frogspawn hybrid problems

Aidanburkhardt

Aidanburkhardt

I posted about my wall hammer/frogspawn hybrid losing some color a couple weeks ago in the coral forum and didn’t really get any help just questions and now it’s almost completely gone. Do I just give up on it at this point and pull it and maybe try a branching hammer instead it really sucks cause it was very expensive and one of my favorite corals I have. I wanted to post again to see if anyone had any ideas as to why this happened so I can avoid it in the future. It was doing great for about a month and then slowly some of the polyps started turning white but it still was extending and I never saw any brown slime or anything and I also have a 3 piece hammer colony on the opposite side of my tank that is still doing perfect and all my water tests seemed to be in check so I’m really not too sure on what caused it. I have read a lot that wall hammers do this often or maybe it could be that it was a hybrid, I’m not sure I’ll include some pics of how it declined and my tank parameters and maybe I can get some answers image.thumb.jpg.8fe8d30f6f8cdb6e4e0dad8d3ab59f7a.jpg

8E205873-850A-44AC-876F-9127FE7272E9.jpeg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Aidanburkhardt
Just now, Aidanburkhardt said:

I posted about my wall hammer/frogspawn hybrid losing some color a couple weeks ago in the coral forum and didn’t really get any help just questions and now it’s almost completely gone. Do I just give up on it at this point and pull it and maybe try a branching hammer instead it really sucks cause it was very expensive and one of my favorite corals I have. I wanted to post again to see if anyone had any ideas as to why this happened so I can avoid it in the future. It was doing great for about a month and then slowly some of the polyps started turning white but it still was extending and I never saw any brown slime or anything and I also have a 3 piece hammer colony on the opposite side of my tank that is still doing perfect and all my water tests seemed to be in check so I’m really not too sure on what caused it. I have read a lot that wall hammers do this often or maybe it could be that it was a hybrid, I’m not sure I’ll include some pics of how it declined and my tank parameters and maybe I can get some answers image.thumb.jpg.8fe8d30f6f8cdb6e4e0dad8d3ab59f7a.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The pictures uploaded out of order but the second pic is after 3 weeks of having it the first is when it started turning white which you can see towards the bottom, the third pic is it now, and the last pic is for comparison to my other hammer and where they are in the tank 

Aidanburkhardt
4 minutes ago, Aidanburkhardt said:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Parameters 

Ph: 8.2

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0

calcium: 420 ppm

Alkalinity: 10 dkh

Phosphate: around o-.25 ppm (water droplet test not very accurate at the lower ranges)

Aidanburkhardt
4 hours ago, sadie said:

As long as you can see flesh, I think there is a chance.  I wouldn't give up yet.  Have you tried moving it?

Yes and I’ve tried adjusting how much flow it gets too but doesn’t seem to help