Innovative Marine Aquariums

One clown fish is dying and need your help to save other

NashReef

Hello friends,

I have two black onyx clownish. One is opening and closing it mouth rapidly and other one seems like taking its last breath.

I moved them to QT tank. Added PraziPro because a couple of days back it was pooping stringy. I also gave one freshwater dip but it didn’t helped. Please help!!
QT water parameters;

Amonia: 0.00 ppm

nitrite: 0.00 ppm

Ph -7.8

Nitrate- 5.00 ppm

Sanility- 1.026.

Thank you in advance!!

56F17730-323D-4BC6-9EA0-3896AD48F2F8.jpeg

Ocean_dreamer89

If you added Prazipro, make sure that you have plenty of surface agitation (wave maker pointed up or an air stone).  Prazi can cause a bacterial bloom depriving the tank of oxygen.  

I currently have a fish in QT and a bacterial bloom started.  I noticed the same thing with my fish, opening/closing mouth and breathing rapidly.  Added an additional air stone and everything went to normal.

• Like 1

Coinee - I am using the API saltwater test kit. In the display tank, I've got a Green Chromis, a Neon Dottyback, a Six-line wrasse, a Foxface Rabbitfish and, a male Lyretail Anthias. In Coral, I have a green bubble tip anemone, a Kenya tree, Xenia, and a Duncan (not fully opening). a couple of cleaner crews (snail and blue leg crabs). I've got a 75 gallons tank. They never fought and no one bother the clownfish. They all get along very well.
I the QT tank, I've only one clownfish.

Ocean_dreamer89 - As per your suggestions, I added an additional air stone this morning but when I've air pump running he is staying in the corner (head down) and when I turned it off he started to move a little. He is not taking any food. Not sure what to next...

Thank you both!

Yeh need exact steps that led up to the issue, husbandry, and parameters.

• How long have you had the tank online?
  • Is it stable?
  • Did you recently add the fish?
  • Did you install any new equipment or remove anything? 

Api is fine for some testing however, I find its not good with: ammonia isn't great.. nitrate and phosphate is a waste of time. 

46 minutes ago, Grimes said:

Ammonia isn't great.. nitrate and phosphate is a waste of time. 

I had problems with API Ammonia kit getting accurate read.  I got the Red Sea kit.  Super easy to tell what color the water was the way measuring sheet was laid out to put sample in middle of 4 colors and your color stands out matching one of the 4 corners.   5 drops each solution + level scoop profided of some powder - and shake shake shake.

Only downside is it took 10 or 15 minutes for wait time.