SaltCritters.com

16 Gallon BioCube Stocking Ideas (anything helps!)

YungPleco

Hello fellow fish friends!

I just started my first saltwater reef tank about a month ago. Currently it's cycling so I can put corals in it, but I bought a flame goby to help cycle the tank after setting it up. One day last week I realized I hadn't seen him in a day and panicked, taking all the live rock out to see where he was. Found him under a rock after 3 days of not eating (I assume because of how small his stomach area was) and he wouldn't eat and died later that day. Here's my (new post-mortem) aquascape and before I go buy corals to put in it next week, I would like to finalize in my head what kind of fish or inverts would cohabitate the ecosystem with the corals. I was thinking of just getting a clownfish so I can put , a bubbletip anemone on the top purple rock and watch it's arms move in the flow and for the clown to have more fun. But seeing I'm in this position, I thought before buying another fish I would ask a forum for that so that I don't overlook something as simple as "gobies like to bury so gravel isn't the best idea". Thank you for your help, I'd be happy to answer any questions as well!

MySaltWaterTank.jpg

You could get a pair of clowns and then a yellow watchmen goby and pistol shrimp pair which would inhabit the bottom of the tank.  You could also look into clown gobies, firefish, blenny, or cardinal fish.  I would say in a 16 gallon biocube you would be limited to about 3 fish.  Anemone don't do well in new tanks (generally speaking) and are recommended after your tank has matures 6+ months and you know how to and are able to maintain stable tank parameters.

Do you have additional rocks?  The scape looks very crowded on the bottom, almost like a massive clump of rocks.  It would look more interesting, and be a more secure habitat for your fish, if you got tried stacking to get some overhangs and caves.  If there aren't a lot of places to hide or dart into you fish may be a little hesitant to be out.