SaltCritters.com

Power connectors for DIY

BradVincent

My 270 gallon is a little larger than a nano reef, but this is the best forum for DIY LED advice. 

One problem I've always had is how to connect power wires.  I run a larger driver to several LDD drivers, which connect to individual LEDs or circuits of LEDs.  I have 2 big drivers running 12 LDD drivers each.  I need to connect 12 tiny black wires to a big black wire, and 12 tiny red wires to a big red wire. 

Currently I just use wire nuts.  A big red nut ties each wire from a big driver to 3 other wires, then each of the 3 wires ties to 4 little wires for each LDD.  This works, but looks like a mess, and I need to rewire 4 wire nuts (including 2 with 5 wires each) to change out an LDD driver. 

There has to be something like a bus bar to make this neat and easy.  I know I can use actual bus bars, but it doesn't seem safe to have 6 amps DC fully exposed and uninsulated around salt water.

I know this isn't as big a deal with a nano tank, but wondered if anyone found a better solution.

Once upon a time you'd have been sent to Radio Shack and they'd have what you need....several versions of it.  🤷‍♂️

Also, I'm not a typical DIY'er so don't know much about wiring LED's per se....

Wire Nuts < Lever Nuts

image.png.284aea1e01ea8e4af3c4c8547201942d.png < image.png.2b1b95ecba61a253117a8c6b54fbc884.png

There are also splice connectors...

image.png.df4a14ffe7ddd4c6af465dfb2cb572e4.pngimage.png.0feff02ba2b143b300d674b7e8677a4a.png

There are also terminal blocks like this which can be bridged for doing one to many connections...

image.png.fe8afe6a5fee62350ac2bc4e57a2f58d.png

This is the bridge to tie all the terminal together...one type...

image.png.6722928fda1d0463b548de9167baad81.png

22 hours ago, DevilDuck said:

You can solder the wires together and seal it with heat shrink tubing. Most splices and terminal blocks are not waterproof.

Excellent point to bring up – but I'm not even sure I'd trust heat shrink is considered more than splash proof.  

But if you need waterproof connections you simply run a different google search to find waterproof options:
https://www.google.com/search?q=waterproof+"terminal+block"+|+splice

There are many!

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRQQXPrPSzUK6yKUrZSdimage.png.0eb19e8bc6853c6b01a21f1694f2c2ba.pngimage.png.c4d34aeddd527de6f2c425ef09101ed3.png

Of course any style of connection can go in a waterproof box like the first pic.

QuarantineReefer

As far as waterproof goes with the heat shrink, I am a heavy truck mechanic by trade and I use a heat shrink that has a glue in it for all my exterior solder joints. You just heat it up like a normal heat shrink until the adhesive melts and comes out each end. Very rarely do I have any issues with corrosion after doing this and our trucks run a lot of heavily salted roads here in the Midwest. Just a thought if you wanted to go the solder route.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, QuarantineReefer said:

As far as waterproof goes with the heat shrink, I am a heavy truck mechanic by trade and I use a heat shrink that has a glue in it for all my exterior solder joints. You just heat it up like a normal heat shrink until the adhesive melts and comes out each end.

I figured something like that must exist....just never seen it in person (at Radio Shack).  🙂 

QuarantineReefer
8 hours ago, mcarroll said:

I figured something like that must exist....just never seen it in person (at Radio Shack).  🙂 

I'd have to double check with my parts guy but I'm pretty certain he orders all of our off of a site called Waytek wire. The only thing I will say though is if you order it that they offer double and single wall. I had him start getting the single wall just because the double wall is so thick it won't hardly shrink before it burns through and melts.

• Like 1