inTank Media Baskets

Islandoftiki's Hawaiian Tidepool Tank!

Islandoftiki

3 hours ago, Islandoftiki said:

Here's a video Pamela took the other day of a very rare Banded Angelfish.  This video also showcases what the average coral reef here in Hawaii looks like.  You'll notice an absence of soft corals.  We do have them, but they're uncommon.  Mostly stony corals.  Porites, montipora, pocillopora,  etc.  They're also illegal to collect in any amount.  I'm going to see if we can get an exception from the Department of Land and Natural Resources.  Of course, the much more rare soft corals are legal to collect.  Hawaii government logic.

What a gorgeous fat fish!!! Only $2000 😮

You can collect your own fish then? ya? 

1 hour ago, Islandoftiki said:

Ok gang, I have a weird idea.  Seaweed. We can buy it in the grocery store all day long here.  I'm assuming that as long as it's fresh and not marinated in some sort of dressing, 
It could be cultivated in a tank.  I'm pretty sure we can't get Chaetomorpha here, but I could be wrong.  We have to think outside the box here. Thoughts? 

7394836388_59e61c31ab.jpg.87f69b480fd03359815d387735b5c057.jpg

imageproxy.php?img=&key=a72cef6f73776f2bimageproxy.php?img=&key=a72cef6f73776f2bimageproxy.php?img=&key=a72cef6f73776f2bimageproxy.php?img=&key=a72cef6f73776f2b

Odd idea... hmm.. can't hurt to try!! Maybe grow your own salad lol You could collect macro's too I am guessing 🙂

• Like 1
SaltyGallon
4 hours ago, Islandoftiki said:

Here's a video Pamela took the other day of a very rare Banded Angelfish.  This video also showcases what the average coral reef here in Hawaii looks like.  You'll notice an absence of soft corals.  We do have them, but they're uncommon.  Mostly stony corals.  Porites, montipora, pocillopora,  etc.  They're also illegal to collect in any amount.  I'm going to see if we can get an exception from the Department of Land and Natural Resources.  Of course, the much more rare soft corals are legal to collect.  Hawaii government logic.

So envious haha... What a lovely fish. Not knowing much about the reefs of Hawaii, do you guys get many cool macro algaes? I just bought a decent mask and snorkel this week for some hardcore UK rockpooling this summer - nothing quite as exotic as this, but we do have some cool native anemones and macros.

• Like 2
On 3/1/2021 at 11:49 PM, Islandoftiki said:

Other interesting things to share while we're waiting for the tank to cycle might include one of my other hobbies.  Big bore air rifles.  I use them strictly for target shooting, and since there isn't a single shooting range for real guns on the Island, These are a little more back yard friendly.  Especially my favorite one, the 50 caliber Airforce Texan LSS.  This thing lobs massive 445 grain slugs with an astounding 850 foot pounds of energy.  It has a carbon fiber reservoir tank that fills to 3600 psi (250 bar).  In the background, you can see my 4500psi compressor that I use to fill a 70cf carbon fiber tank for refilling the gun when shooting.  This thing is a ton of fun and it's not much louder than a framing nailer.

348941938_2021-03-0117_03_47.thumb.jpg.27855a8323873859a01c3f21800b163f.jpg

1166728359_2021-02-2717_06.13-1.thumb.jpg.7cc8e36c15834e6ae64f4110e5a80c3b.jpg

I NEED this to shoot the raccoons tearing up my backyard!!! 

Islandoftiki
3 hours ago, Firefish15 said:

Hey, this looks like a fun journal! Following along. 😄

Mantis shrimp are so cool!

This was our mantis shrimp back on the mainland:

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
Islandoftiki
42 minutes ago, Firefish15 said:

That’s so cool! 😆

A mantis tank is now on the bucket list.

It should be.  Go dig around in my Youtube channel for other awesome mantis videos like this:

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
Islandoftiki

More goodies showed up!  J tubes to clean up the chiller installation and a Current Marine Ramp Pro controller, which I'm not entirely sure I need, but I have it just in case. 422499095_2021-03-0318_45_54.thumb.jpg.d01476fe346c1265b62a5d5058e52576.jpg

Islandoftiki
5 hours ago, Micro-Reefs Aquariums said:

Nice the JBJ kit, where is the tubing that shipped with the kit?

It's in the box.  I just didn't photograph it. 

• Like 1
Micro-Reefs Aquariums
1 hour ago, Islandoftiki said:

It's in the box.  I just didn't photograph it. 

I purchased an extra clear1/2 inch ID hose alongside what was shipped the JBJ.  The JBJ hose is superior to the clear hose, I received from Marine Depot, and since it has a grey tint, it doesn't build up the algae inside, I am really happy with the JBJ hose!

On 3/3/2021 at 11:03 PM, Islandoftiki said:

This was our mantis shrimp back on the mainland:

Maybe it's the vanilla haoli in me, but I can't get over that fat little damsel in the backdrop. The lack of ranges causes quite a few to get creative with their property, least on the big island, awesome looking air rifle and it's pretty impressive to see a mantis shrimp acting like a cleaner shrimp lol...

• Like 1
Islandoftiki

Bag packed going diving tomorrow!  I'll take the Olympus TG-5 this time, which will insure its a mundane dive.  The coolest stuff happens only when you forget the underwater camera. 

Stay tuned for diving photos tomorrow. 

20210306_182917.thumb.jpg.ce25b576dcf4643cd588beac0517679b.jpg

• Like 4
Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Okay so why do you want a reef tank, when you have the ocean tank?  Zero nitrates, no phosphates and plenty of Sun light and great visibility. 😤😛👹😾😊 Jealous, mad, frustrated and happy....

I hope you forget your mask at home or cut your dive short because you got a hot fill in your Tank and forgot to top off....

Much love for you...  😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

An "air gunner" and a "reefer"! I live the same combo. My guns are all .22 or less. FX Cyclone, FX Superswift and many old (pre 1980) Crosman and such. I had an Airforce many years ago.

• Like 1
Islandoftiki
On 3/8/2021 at 12:31 PM, glenawil said:

An "air gunner" and a "reefer"! I live the same combo. My guns are all .22 or less. FX Cyclone, FX Superswift and many old (pre 1980) Crosman and such. I had an Airforce many years ago.

I'm also an automotive master technician and the co-owner of Kona European Auto Repair, so I'm a pretty hardcore car guy, too.  I'm surprised how many auto technicians are also into reef tanks.  Back in Portland, I knew two other fellow reefers who were mechanics. 

• Like 2
Islandoftiki

Last week, I got some bacteria starter to help speed up the cycle.

2021-03-07_16.57.20.jpg

I started with an initial dose of around 14 ml and have been adding about 5ml per day since.

This was my ammonia alert yesterday and I was starting to notice some diatoms.

2021-03-09_19.07.24.jpg

Then, today we're looking very good!

2021-03-10_17.16.21.jpg

and DIATOMS EVERYWHERE!  Yay!

2021-03-10_16.43.17.jpg

And my MP10 shield is here and installed, so I was able to move the powerhead up another inch.  I don't know what happened to my old clear MP10 shield, but I was only able to find one in black which I'm not sure if I like.

2021-03-06_19.16.47.jpgwe're goi

That's it for now.  It's going to be a few more weeks before I start stocking the tank because we're going to Cozumel on a diving trip on the 17th!  We have house sitters taking care of all of the critters and topping off the tank for me while we're gone.  As soon as we get back, I'll start getting some goodies in the tank.  I'll of course share diving photos from Cozumel in the meantime. 

• Like 4
Islandoftiki

Oh, so here's something interesting.  This school of Raccoon Butterfly Fish was up to no good.  They were following us because there are some species of fish that lays eggs and defend them, but these fish are afraid of divers and the Raccoon Butterfly Fish have figured this out, so we unknowingly stumbled across a brood of eggs and scared away the defending fish.  The Raccoon Butterfly Fish are swooping in to eat all of the eggs laid by the fish that was scared away.  I don't know what species of fish was having it's brood pilfered. 

• Sad 1
  • Wow 3