ReefCleaners.org

Islandoftiki's Hawaiian Tidepool Tank!

Islandoftiki

So cool!!! Yoshii did a hawaii pico with macro algae and some tiny gobies and it's so fun to see. I am so jealous you can collect your own livestock... and water. The BEST water! 

I had to look up that mantis. It says they are interactive 🙂 I also would guess we won't see any make it here to the mainland with the bans so documenting one would certainly be unique. 

Christopher Marks

Welcome back @Islandoftiki, you have been missed! I really enjoyed following your move to Hawaii and building out your home there. That new pool looks like it's going to make for an incredible addition to your place, wow!

I'm glad to see you're jumping back in with a tank again, I'm looking forward to seeing what you create with your local resources!

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Christopher Marks said:

Welcome back @Islandoftiki, you have been missed! I really enjoyed following your move to Hawaii and building out your home there. That new pool looks like it's going to make for an incredible addition to your place, wow!

I'm glad to see you're jumping back in with a tank again, I'm looking forward to seeing what you create with your local resources!

It's good to be back.  Very good to be back.  I've missed this community.

• Like 6

The cycle seems to be going well so far.  Today, the water cleared up substantially.  Like, crystal clear.  Ammonia started coming down a little bit yesterday, so I re-upped it a bit.   I think at this point, I'll let the ammonia level come down to near-safe levels and then re-up it again and see how long it takes to come down again.  For now, everything is going smoothly.  Water flow with the MP10 on 1/4 power is really good.  The waiting game is on.  In the meantime, I'll try to do a drone video for you all in the next day or two.

2074126649_2021-02-2418_47_58.thumb.jpg.0d54a2f50e15cd69a106b1c7e91e41d0.jpg

• Like 4

So during this boring cycling process, I'll share with you some of Pamela's ocean related tattoos.

Today, I'll share her ridiculously cool octopus tattoo.  It doesn't get much better than this.

1680831898_2021-02-1316_04_15.thumb.jpg.c3d94540905a91b81580590f4a800db6.jpg

1764864273_2021-02-1316_04_23.thumb.jpg.b11762a03da5e8e7a54e651da314a858.jpg

277405269_2021-02-1316_04_30.thumb.jpg.1e3fea45d2bd32422e87270a0a736bca.jpg

• Like 5
  • Wow 2
19 hours ago, SaltyGallon said:

Following along, everything about this thread is cool haha. Saltwater pool?!

Stick around.  I've always done my best to keep things entertaining in my threads, but now that we live in Hawaii, there's a lot more interesting stuff to show everyone.  The possibilities are boundless!

• Like 3

Here's some miscellaneous ramblings as I narrate a drone video recorded from my controller.  The quality is not super high since I'm not sharing the raw video from the drone itself.   I thought you all might enjoy the telemetry and of course enjoying my soothing dulcet tones. 

• Like 6

Very cool. I need to come vacation in HI someday... It is finally warming up here but still tons of snow outside! I did not know turkeys are so friendly. 😍

• Like 2
On 2/26/2021 at 11:58 AM, Tamberav said:

Very cool. I need to come vacation in HI someday... It is finally warming up here but still tons of snow outside! I did not know turkeys are so friendly. 😍

I'd recommend this place:  https://kohalalokelani.com/  you know, because then you'd be staying with us.

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Zer0 said:

Which drone are you using? I will admit, you definitely have more guts than me. I'm too scared to fly mine anywhere out of my line of sight lmao

That was my Mavic Pro 2 in the video, but I also have a Mavic Mini (1st gen) that can easily make the same trip down to the ocean and back.  Now, the Pro 2 can go much farther.  Like 3 miles farther than the Mini.  I can make it almost to Kawaihae harbor in the Pro.  I'd fly the Mini more, but the convenience of the Smart Controller wins out every time.  Not having to hook up a cell phone to the controller is a major win.  I'm hoping they make the Mini 2 compatible with the Smart Controller and then I'll pull the trigger on that and sell my 1st gen Mini.  As far as line of sight goes, technically I am in line of sight, but  maybe pushing the limit of visual contact.  We also have expansive views, so say, if there were a low flying helicopter approaching, I'd be able to get out the the way in a hurry.  Helicopters should be flying above my 400 ft ceiling, but sometimes if there's a fire, they will drop down to the ocean and pick up water, so I always make sure I know what's going on around my drone when I fly here.   It's actually really cool to fly here because we can see so far in every direction since everything in Hawaii is on a hillside. 

• Like 3
On 2/26/2021 at 3:47 AM, TatorTaco said:

God, I wish I could afford to live in Hawaii.  I'm so jealous!

It's a double edged sword sometimes.  For every wonderful thing we have here, there's a lot of lousy stuff, too.  Too many flaky or weird people here.  This place attracts some really odd folks.  At least we're not on the West side where they get 200 inches of rain a  year and have the worst meth problem you can possibly imagine.  All said and done, at the moment, I feel fortunate to be here and not back in Portland.  

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
8 minutes ago, Islandoftiki said:

It's a double edged sword sometimes.  For every wonderful thing we have here, there's a lot of lousy stuff, too.  Too many flaky or weird people here.  This place attracts some really odd folks.  At least we're not on the West side where they get 200 inches of rain a  year and have the worst meth problem you can possibly imagine.  All said and done, at the moment, I feel fortunate to be here and not back in Portland.  

folks are odd on the big Island compared to Portland?  I bet you'd really get freaked out if you came to Nebraska, in all sorts of different ways!  🥩🐮🏈🤯

• Haha 3
Islandoftiki
On 2/27/2021 at 12:27 PM, fenderchamp said:

folks are odd on the big Island compared to Portland?  I bet you'd really get freaked out if you came to Nebraska, in all sorts of different ways!  🥩🐮🏈🤯

Nothing really new to share about the tank.  It's continuing to cycle.  So, here's a picture of Pamela's Mantis Shrimp Tattoo.

20210301_165227.thumb.jpg.58fc670793fe057f87c6f1f0b1c6e2eb.jpg

• Like 5
Islandoftiki

Other interesting things to share while we're waiting for the tank to cycle might include one of my other hobbies.  Big bore air rifles.  I use them strictly for target shooting, and since there isn't a single shooting range for real guns on the Island, These are a little more back yard friendly.  Especially my favorite one, the 50 caliber Airforce Texan LSS.  This thing lobs massive 445 grain slugs with an astounding 850 foot pounds of energy.  It has a carbon fiber reservoir tank that fills to 3600 psi (250 bar).  In the background, you can see my 4500psi compressor that I use to fill a 70cf carbon fiber tank for refilling the gun when shooting.  This thing is a ton of fun and it's not much louder than a framing nailer.

348941938_2021-03-0117_03_47.thumb.jpg.27855a8323873859a01c3f21800b163f.jpg

1166728359_2021-02-2717_06.13-1.thumb.jpg.7cc8e36c15834e6ae64f4110e5a80c3b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 3
Islandoftiki

Here's a video Pamela took the other day of a very rare Banded Angelfish.  This video also showcases what the average coral reef here in Hawaii looks like.  You'll notice an absence of soft corals.  We do have them, but they're uncommon.  Mostly stony corals.  Porites, montipora, pocillopora,  etc.  They're also illegal to collect in any amount.  I'm going to see if we can get an exception from the Department of Land and Natural Resources.  Of course, the much more rare soft corals are legal to collect.  Hawaii government logic.

• Like 3
Islandoftiki

And, as you would all expect, the tank is cycling along naturally.  Nothing exciting. there, so here's a video from a Manta Ray night snorkel...

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
Islandoftiki

And, Pamela got a rare chance to go diving in the Galapagos a couple months ago.  Far more challenging diving than I'm capable of, but very rewarding when the conditions were good.  The water was cold, the current was strong and the visibility most of the time was two or three feet.  When the visibility was good though...

• Like 2
  • Wow 2
Islandoftiki

Ok gang, I have a weird idea.  Seaweed. We can buy it in the grocery store all day long here.  I'm assuming that as long as it's fresh and not marinated in some sort of dressing, 
It could be cultivated in a tank.  I'm pretty sure we can't get Chaetomorpha here, but I could be wrong.  We have to think outside the box here. Thoughts? 

7394836388_59e61c31ab.jpg.87f69b480fd03359815d387735b5c057.jpg