Pod Your Reef

Oceanic BioCube Conversion to a Freshwater Cichlid Tank

BudsBio

I posted the conversion of my 29 gallon Oceanic BioCube to a Cichlid tank at the BioCube Resource guide

BUT

Some responders stated that I should start my own thread about it.

But

My question was where, in the General Discussion or DIY Forum Threads or somewhere else.

I chose the General Discussion area.

SO

Here is what I did to a BioCube that my Niece had used for a Saltwater tank and quickly got discouraged with

She found out that she bit off more than she could chew and though a BioCube Saltwater tank sounded neat and looked good in fact turned out to be expensive and more work than she cared for.

Within 6 months the BioCube Experiment & Excitement was over.

It sat empty at her parents home for the next 10 years.

She knew about my Love Affair with Fish Tanks over most of my life and offered it to me from time to time.

I'm used to 55 to 150 gallon Freshwater Cichlid tanks, a 29 Gallon Saltwater tank did not hold any fascination for me.

Fast forward to Christmas 2020.

I walk into my Brothers house on Christmas morning and on the floor sits the 29g BioCube with a Gold Ribbon around it and my name on it. LOL!

My Brother had given my Niece the Ultimatum to get the Cube out of their home LOL!

I was chosen to be the Lucky heir to the Cube LOL

So I took it home which pleased everyone but confused me as I walked around it deciding if I was going to actually do something with it or get rid of it.

Well, this thread is proof that I decided to resurrect the Cube.

With that said..The restoration / conversion began.......

You can follow my restoration here starting on January 10th. Page 48...

I will offer it here as well.

I was NOT going to turn the Cube back into a Saltwater Tank..Just not my thing..

It would instead be a Cichlid Tank....and it began.

* First thing that had to be done was to remove the plastic rear filter area.

I did this with a pair of pliers and safety glasses.

717702535_BioCubeFilterBoxRemoved..thumb.jpg.d1442e60c5495e273250c66b8bc44222.jpg717702535_BioCubeFilterBoxRemoved..thumb.jpg.d1442e60c5495e273250c66b8bc44222.jpg

1152867406_BioCube29LookingintobackBottom.thumb.jpg.fbc23ae3014205abad750b019056addc.jpg

* Next Scrape off the black paint from the rear glass

Bought a bunch of Single edge Razor Blades and went to town on the glass.

* Strip out the old silicone and Re-Seal with GE SCS 1203 Black Silicone

Heavy duty stuff that dries fast so work fast.

* Build a Stand and Paint it

Through the rear glass and the Mirrored wall that the Cube is against you can see the 2X4 bracing of the stand.

In essence a 2x4 square Top & Bottom connected with a 2x4 in each corner and then a shorter 2x4 in each corner between the square 2x4 top and bottom.

More strength than this 29g Cube will ever need for support.

Looks like a Box Kite in 2x4's LOL

Checked out YouTube..bought 2x4's Gorilla Glue and some Birch Plywood to cover the outside and top tray.

On a Saturday my Brother & I cut, glued and screwed, together the wood building it.

A Great Project and I had a blast with my brother doing it.

743239931_BioCube29inNewStand.thumb.jpg.b06af51e7e43d76bd16d5672ba471512.jpg

* Decide which Cichlid  I was going to put into the Cube

After visiting a lot of Fish stores and checking YouTube I decided on Neolamprologus brichardi

* Now that I had chosen Brichardi I needed to get everything to make their home comfortable.

* The Hood came with dead Lights so I had to fix that.

After stripping everything out of the hood I decided to get a programmable LED Light from Amazon.

Next I mounted the light into the hood..

I drilled holes on each side of the Light and installed with Plastic ties.

I also cut a hole in the hood so I could access the LED Light.

792457869_CubeLEDInstalled.thumb.jpg.f8cae7668e148fa4186dbe5bead77a58.jpg

30350299_CubeHoodTop.thumb.jpg.52efcf216b160e3440c487977f241af2.jpg

454981161_CubeHoodDisplay.thumb.jpg.26b35fc2da1eaa9af3d2d4807bba6bab.jpg

* I found a Rock on a sandy beach side of the Intracoastal Waterway.

Took it home and boiled it in Bleach & Water.

As the water heated up and before I added the bleach a small lizard came out of the rock and stood on the edge of the pot.

I carefully picked him up and set him free outside.

* Bought 40 pounds of CaribSea "Sahara Sand"

Along with everything else I needed.

1979119868_BioCubeWIPFrontwithRock.thumb.jpg.46ac70a4371ff4ea9dc7fcdea667d7b9.jpg

Super Bowl Sunday I decided to put it all together and add Water.

1381003694_CubewithWater.thumb.jpg.83efd7ee18c914141583fa9c90a6c479.jpg

BioCube Filter Box Removed..jpg

I cycled my Cube with FritzZyme® TurboStart 700 Nitrifying Bacteria

I have finally added 3 Brichardi to my Cube.

533121687_BrichardiabloveRock.thumb.JPG.35bbd9572b1d61723461b1e31c3ed859.JPG

864503527_BrichardiX3.thumb.JPG.1cc8bf93252383a664535bb4f1e1ac39.JPG

So it's been a Journey

I still have more to do.

* I had to remove the Background because it bubbled up.

So I'm searching for a replacement.

* I still need to add some plants and rocks.

Figure out what I want the Cube to look like..

20210218-232259.JPG

For someone who didn't want a saltwater tank, you sure made a tank that looks like a saltwater tank! I'll be curious to see where you go with it. You should probably add more hiding places, fish like boltholes.

How did that bacteria work out for an instant cycle? Did it actually do the trick, no ammonia or anything when the fish were added? 

How did that bacteria work out for an instant cycle? Did it actually do the trick, no ammonia or anything when the fish were added? 

It did excellent.

I started the Cube with SeaChem Prime & 4 teaspoons of SeaChem Cichlid Lake Salt.

The Cichlid Lake Salt states 1.5 teaspoons per 10 gallons based on DI or RO Water.

If using other water (I used Tap water) measure GH first and adjust.

After startup I let the Cube run with a sponge filter for a little over a week and did not do anything to the Cube

Then I took a sample of my water to local fish store to be checked.

There was some ammonia and other levels were not right for Brichardi yet.

They asked me if I had added any good Bacteria to the tank

I said no and they recommended the FritzZyme TurboStart 700 Nitrifying Bacteria and said to add a Capful every other day.

I started on a Thursday, then Saturday, Monday and Wednesday then Thursday I took another water sample to be checked.

The fish rep said that my water looked great..no ammonia, and other levels good to.

PH was 8.0 I would have liked the PH to be around 8.2 / 8.4 or higher but the Rep said that 8.0 was good.

I took 1 Brichardi home and while it acclimated in the floating bag I added the rest of the FritzZyme to the tank.

Once released he was very relaxed.

Though after awhile he found a cave on the back of the rock and hid there until the next day Friday when I brought the other 2 Brichardi (that was in the same tank with him. at the store) home.

Once the 2 were released he immediately came out of hiding and the 3 have been like the 3 Musketeers hanging out together.

Sometimes the 3 are very close to each other and calm...so I'm happy for that.

I have also seen each in his own cave..

The original in his rear right cave, then 1 in a cave on the middle Right of the rock and the other in a cave at the front all caves wrapping around the right side of the rock.

and then 2 or all 3 will come out and hang out together.

The reason I grabbed that Rock when I saw it by the Intracoastal was not so much for a Tank design but because there are so many Small to Medium to large Holes / caves and hiding places in it.

Eventually I want to get a Breeding pair and have some Fry..

Fry would have a lot of hiding places in that rock.

So I thought that the Sea Rock would work well for all sizes of Brichardi.

Plus it looked good and was FREE!

Today I stopped by a Landscape quarry that had a lot of Rocks.

I picked some up so you will soon see a big change in the Cubes Rock Setup.

I'm debating some shells too..don't know.

I want to put a few live plants into the Cube..so I'm checking out which plants I want to use and will work well with Brichardi.

In the past I had a 55 or larger with Gravel and under gravel filter.

Magnum 330 Canister loaded with AmmoCarb and Blue wrap around Filter with a Bio-Wheel.

Push a couple of straight Rocks vertical into the Gravel put a bigger flat rock across those for a cave

A few fake plants added much larger African Cichlids. and done.

No Bacteria added...no water testing..

Fish added in next day after tank cleared

Never lost a fish.

The Cube setup by comparison has challenged me much more via thinking and planning more about it's setup

Water test, Bacteria, added waiting a couple of weeks to add fish..

Searching out what do I want for a Aquascape theme.

So a completely different process.

But it's been a Fun Project...and so far I like how it looks

I don't even know at this point how it will look when it's all done...and that's OK too!

Thanks for the reply..

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply ausram.

I have added rocks that I found at a Landscape / Quarry that had a lot of rocks.

The added rocks cost $10.00

I also added a "Cave" background to the Cube.

But now I think that the Cube really needs some green as in Plants.

20210225_145016.thumb.jpg.811cd04725c3b8bcba5d1f7e6674f8b5.jpg

So, I did some investigation and discovered that there are a few plants that will survive in a Cichlid tank per fish and water parameters.

They are:

Anubias

* Anubias Lanceolatta

* Aubias Barteri

* Anubias Nana

Best application is to be Super Glued to a rock using "Super Glue" Gel

Microsorum "Java Fern"

* Microsorum Pteropus

* Mocrosorum Windelov

* Mocrosorum Trident

Like Anubias they are best adhered to rocks using "Super Glue" Gel

Vallisneria

* Vallisneria Gigantea

* Vallisneria Spiralis

Unlike Anubias & Microsorum these plants are best planted into the Substrate.

So now I will check out these plants and see which ones I like.

Next update.....Plants!

If anyone has preferences for Cichlid tank Plants or what you think would look good in my Cube I'd love to read about it.

New Update:
My LED Light started messing up so I am returning it today and Amazon will have a new one to me on Friday.
March 3rd was last day for return....just made it...
The light has worked perfectly until the last few days.
DAY Light scheduled to shut off at 6:30 pm and MOON Light scheduled to start at 6:30 pm but the DAY light would shut off at 5:30 instead of 6:30
Also the Brightness level would not change from 100% to 10%...just stayed on at 100% brightness no matter what the setting was set at.
I usually set the brightness level to 50%.

I will say Amazon does have a easy return program.
I can return it to my local Kohls about 10 minutes from me.

Cube Update: Plants Installed.

* Anubia Barteri v "NANA"

I believe that the 2 Anubias I can cut into 4 plants.

* Cryptocoryne Wendtii Tropica "Bronze Wendtii"

I have a bottle of "Easy Green" liquid Fertilizer coming from Aquarium C0-Op and I will pick up some API Root tab's for the Crypto.

I do know that I will probably have some leave trimming from the Plants over the next weeks.

902031392_CubePlantsFront1.thumb.jpg.ea9acf59c3a3def7052e83faadb41f27.jpg1420581868_CubePlantsFront2.thumb.jpg.5ac893d341296e082020891b79a267ff.jpg1376993691_CubePlantsFront3.thumb.jpg.37b37c19adea5fc9985f04bf16ff31ea.jpg380514606_CubePlantsLaeftSide.thumb.jpg.57a6c2d3c8a760ec076473aaeffd1369.jpg1971139072_CubePlantsRight1.thumb.jpg.22276aa81bb5ce9e37582bd275eff281.jpg920613179_CubePlantsPotStickers.thumb.jpg.1fa6f960cf1bc1041f1c34fafc40069e.jpg

Cube Plants Right 3.jpg

Live Plant Update.

I propagated the Anubias Nana's by cutting the Rhizome of each plant into 2 separate Anubias.

Sp 2 Plants became 4.

Next I used Super Glue Gel to attach the Rhizome of each Anubias to rocks.

Two Anubias Nana's in the front and one on each side.

Here's the Pics..

You can find the Brichardi's

They are hiding in the rocks because I have been playing in their Home.

They are usually out swimming around more than they are in the Rocks.

124609814_NewPlantSetupF1.thumb.jpg.3be9a4ecf9c8d86733f6e648f5517622.jpg

Brichardi under Rock - Front Right

95478554_NewPlantSetupF2.thumb.jpg.f0e92e13377f43cbeaf956083961a624.jpg

Brichardi in Cave to the Right of Plant

New Plant Setup Left Side.jpg

Brichardi in Cave looking right at you.

New Plant Setup Right Side 1.jpg

Brichardi in Cave

New Plant Setup Right Side 2.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

After having 2 TaiTan Auto On/Off Lights fail on me I decided to go with a Fluval 3.0 15" 22w light.

I was able to use the same holes and hood cutout that I used for the previous light.

I was curios if the Fluval 15" 22w light would provide enough coverage for my Cube.

I am happy to say that it does.

I used Plastic Ties to secure the Fluval to the inside of the Hood.

I would imagine that this should work whether the Cube is Fresh or Saltwater.

Here's the Pictures:

1224121510_BioCube-Fluval3.0MountedinHood1.thumb.JPG.7d8a3dbb33c445868868111fcb52aa47.JPG

1530742132_BioCube-Fluval3.0MountedinHood2.thumb.JPG.a18309dc8f050f70a072a70024b27504.JPG

Plastic Ties Holds it into hood.

The Hoods original Plastic screw posts that the Fluval rests on leaves a space around the Fluval for ventilation.

124986362_BioCube-Fluval3.0TiedDown.thumb.JPG.efd5757ee9e383b1ddc9a8918632eb4c.JPG

Cutout For Fluval Switch

Though bigger than I would prefer from the old light still allows me to press the Fluval's switch should I need to.

1639137605_BioCubeFluval3.0Controls.thumb.JPG.7f1f97ac70d4a910ef0bf0777dc87bbd.JPG

Cube Lit With Fluval 3.0

267823356_BioCubewithFluval3.0Light.thumb.JPG.9030d72849e58de810b520b915d792d3.JPG

So far I Love this Little Light.

It's not a cheaper $30.00+ light but I ended up going through 2 of those.

The Fluval is worth every penny!

Don't be alarmed if the crypts plants start melting. It is common they may go through a melting phase as they adjust to your tank. 

I am hoping that they are through with that.

I had a little of that about a week or so after adding them to the Cube

Leaves that I would pick out of the water that were just like mush.

But thankfully nothing in the last couple of weeks.

A few weeks ago I added API Root Tabs into the Substrate and Aquarium CoOp's Easy Green Liquid Fertilizer.

Also I purchased the Anubias Nana's and Crypto Tropica Bronze submerged in Aquarium Water at my LFS...I think that helped.

Thanks for the Response DevilDuck

because those LEDs don't put off too much heat, I don't imagine you'll have problems with it overheating in there.

Another thing that helps with heat is that I run the LED's at 30%.

One of the complaints about the last light that I had (Hygger Auto On Of LED Light) was that it would get so HOT at 100% power.

However I ran that light at 40% and it was just mildly warm.

Make no mistake LED Lights ran at 100% can get HOT.

Now when the Hygger would mess up it's settings and I found it at 100% the top of the Hood felt warm but not dangerously HOT like it was going to Melt.

For awhile I thought of mounting the BioCube's small fans back into the hood but as I have used the LED's I found that I did not need to.

At the Cubes 13" height (top of Substrate to top of Cube) I cannot imagine running a LED light at anything more than 50% power let alone 100%

LED Light at 100% on the cube and If I was a fish I'd be like.."Hey Dude you wanna turn down the Light...What are ya trying to do..give us a sunburn" ..LOL

Thanks for the Response.

• 4 weeks later...

There are Baby Fry in my Cube!

Mom & Fry

2008845342_MommyBabyFry.thumb.JPG.08763f8ed38d56ade0aeacdb234d8787.JPG

1140585023_MomDadwithBabyFry.thumb.JPG.f76e4a0ec37feaf137eac8d432ff0229.JPG

I had no idea that I had a Male & Female matched pair in my Cube.

The LFS sold them to me not knowing as well because they charge more for Male & Female pairs.

So I'll see how they do going forward.

• Like 1

Aw, they look like itty-bitty tadpoles. Are they large enough to eat crushed-up flake food and BBS, or are they only taking infusoria and the like? 

I have been feeding them crushed flake and it looks like they are eating it.

I am going to check out Baby Brine Shrimp today..either buying ready to feed or eggs to hatch.

I think that If I want them to live I have to do more than just crushed Flake

• Like 1

If it's a good-quality flake food and they eat enough of it, they might actually do fine on that. I raised some baby danios on crushed flake once, and plenty of people get tons of guppies by feeding any accidental babies crushed flake. Baby brine shrimp certainly can't hurt, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a video of my Cube and the growing Fry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzqdVbSrspk

The Fry took to crushed flake food and love it.
I feed them through the back opening of the Cube twice a day..about 10am and 6pm.
In the front opening I drop in some pellet food.

The Fry have been growing a lot.
They look healthy with no dwindling in their numbers that I can see.

So far so good.

A Plant Update in my Cube:

I have been very happy with the Anubis Nanas that I attached to rocks.
Each plant has at least 2 healthy new sprouts

As far as the Cryptocoryn wendtii v Tropica "Bronze Wendtii"
I'm not as happy with their growth and see floating parts of their plants from time to time.
I will say that I have not been religious about putting Root Tabs into the Substrate.

I am thinking that I may get a couple of Anubis plants that grow like shoots growing upward to compliment the Nanao's
The Anubis's are healthy growers in my Cube.

Back when I was getting a lot of Algae I stopped squirting the Aquarium Co-Op's Liquid Fertilizer into the Cube.
This is to say nothing bad about Aquarium Co-Op's Fertilizer but since the Liquid fertilizer was primarily for the Anubis's and they were already growing very good

I saw no reason to add Fertilizer.

So..Anubis's in my BioCube...Good.
My BioCube as a Breeder Tank..Good

With all of the new Fry in my 29 I will probably start a more serious search for the Corner Tank that I have wanted...75 gallons.
Get it acclimated and transfer Mom-Dad & Fry to it.
Do something else with my Cube..
I will say that so far my Cube has turned out to be a Great Success!

• Like 1