Pod Your Reef

Where do you have your RO/DI installed?

Jakesaw

Question - If you have a standard RO/DI filter,

1) where do you keep it

2) Hard installed or take it out for use and put it away each use

3) Any convenience / dislikes or issues about location after the fact  

4) If you could not install in Garage, what is the next ideal location for location.

I bought one early on sale - and hadn't fully thought out the install location.  Garage ideal, but doesn't work for midwest winters, looking for other locations and pros  / cons do you like it there. 

Basement, bathroom sink, mud room sink seem to be the only options I can think of. I'd like it hard plumbed so so I don't have to mess with things every time.  Looking for feedback for most convenient RO/DI home. 

Thanks

I have mine hard installed on a wall above a utility sink in my basement, near the washing machine.

I have (or will soon have) 1 20g tank upstairs (second floor), and 1 20g tank downstairs (first floor), as well as a 55g FW tank that I mix RODI water in to lower ph/kh.

It would be nice if in the long term I were able to do water changes without hauling buckets, though since the tanks are so small it's not really a big deal. The other thing is that I was running a heater in a bucket in the basement, but my basement is so cold during the winter it uses extra electricity, so I've been bringing the buckets of RODI water upstairs to warm up now instead. We don't have an attached garage, and also live in Vermont, so garage isn't an option, though there is plenty of space in the basement. Issue is that I don't really have space on the other floors for a mixing station.

• Like 1

I rent so I need an installation that can easily be reversed. My tank is in a spare bedroom that I use as an office. It has an adjoining bathroom. The RODI supply line is plumbed into the water supply line to my toilet with the T-valve linked below, then I run a water line behind the toilet tank that leads to the shower next to it. I have my buckets and RODI unit hidden behind the shower curtain. If I have a visitors I just remove all the equipment and store it in the closet. With the shower curtain close you won't even know it is there.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KIJZE0S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

I drag it over to the laundry outlets with a garden hose Y valve, its fast and easy.

Like Devil-Duck, You can also do under any sink or toilet with this good quality one here link

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/john-guest-angle-stop-valve.html

easy to pop the line on with this second photo,  then if you want, get a 3 way valve to make RO drinking water..... to make that expensive purchase pulling double duty and not drink Chlorine

RODI water TDS reading 3ppm | REEF2REEF Saltwater and Reef ...

Washer rodi connection | REEF2REEF Saltwater and Reef ...

CountyLine Double 'Y' Valve Garden Hose Shutoff at Tractor ...

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DevilDuck said:

The RODI supply line is plumbed into the water supply line to my toilet with the T-valve linked below, then I run a water line behind the toilet tank that leads to the shower next to it. I have my buckets and RODI unit hidden behind the shower curtain. If I have a visitors I just remove all the equipment and store it in the closet. With the shower curtain close you won't even know it is there.

Now that's commitment.  

Appreciate the detailed response.  That's what I was looking for.  

Basement near water softener is most likely landing spot at the moment, but it's the area that has the most spider webs / cob webs in the basement.  That doesn't really excite me. I'd like to be swayed in a batter direction.  :biggrin:

1 hour ago, Jakesaw said:

Now that's commitment.  

Appreciate the detailed response.  That's what I was looking for.  

Basement near water softener is most likely landing spot at the moment, but it's the area that has the most spider webs / cob webs in the basement.  That doesn't really excite me. I'd like to be swayed in a batter direction.  :biggrin:

Bayer Insecticide will kill those spiders and I hear it's a good coral dip! 😄

• Like 1

I kept mine on the counter and hooked it up to faucet to make water when i needed to.

I rent so no permanent changes can be done. Actually, we can't work on anything at all ourselves

• Like 1

I hooked mine up to the cold water intake that feeds into the toilet, the waste water drains into the sink right next to it. It's probably not the best setup, but it works, you can flush the toilet while the filter runs too. The part I ordered that shunts water from the cold water just screws in, and you can screw it off if you wanted to with no permanent change to the pipes, but it's waaay to much of a hassle to do that every water change. Not great aesthetics having a filter with pipes laying around the guest bath, but honestly my laundry room is a disaster and crawling behind the washer and dryer to figure out where to hook it up was a hard no for me.

• Like 1

I made my first batch of RO/DI water in Laundry Room sink ( Hose adapter )  It works temporarily and zero chance of leaks, which is good.  But I will be looking for a permanent home eventually. 

But..... I can make my own water.... save money - trips to LFS in the cold

Appreciate all the comments - keep em coming.

Thanks