Zer0

Zer0's JBJ RL-10 AIO Cube

Zer0

Hello everyone. Just wanted to put up some pictures for now, but I'll eventually format this post nicely.

It's been a while since my last aquarium, and I got the itch to start one up again. A few years back, my two previous tanks were killed off by long power outages, and so I sold off everything that I couldn't put in storage and called it quits. Fortunately now, I have a generator, so I don't have to worry about power outages. I wanted something small, but not too small. I started looking around for aquariums that would fit the bill, and it was nice to see that rimless AIOs had really taken off and were readily available pretty much everywhere. I settled on a JBJ RL-10 after comparing it against the other options, primarily because JBJ had a stand to go with it, it came with a nice lid, and I liked the dimensions the best.

50957732072_19eb631c65_k.jpg

50957731732_d8ff20cb5b_k.jpg

Overall, the quality of the seams are adequate on the display area, but they're not spectacular. This sentiment was compounded further when I discovered that the false wall leaked through into the display area. The false wall also seems to have been damaged, most likely straight from the manufacturer, but I honestly don't know 100%. You can see that there are two deep gouges on the false wall that I'm fairly certain aren't supposed to be there lol. Almost like the placement of the water-level holes were messed up and instead of scrapping the piece of acrylic they just drilled the correct holes anyway and sent it on its way. Not sure how something that obvious even gets through QC, but here we are.

50957623561_7233984ff2_k.jpg

Sadly, MarineDepot doesn't seem to care and so far has done nothing about it. After having sent several emails over the past week and a half, they responded to one and the rest, I guess, have been ignored. I gave up contacting them, sealed the leak myself, and I'll never be placing another order with them. Simple as that.

It has an AI Prime 16 HD over it, and I've been running the tank with tap water for the past few days while I wait for supplies to get delivered to finish up everything.

50957623226_32dfac9c61_k.jpg

50956924303_f571401c9f_k.jpg

50957622786_9d84831097_k.jpg

This will be a mixed reef, but I haven't decided on livestock like fish/inverts just yet. I think I'm just going to wing it and see what's available when the time comes. Will update the thread with more pictures/info as I go along.

growsomething

Looks good except for the back wall.  Hard to believe MD wouldnt respond quickly for customer satisfaction. They used to give BRS a run for their money a few years back.

I love a square box.  Have a nuvo 10 from MD myself.  It will be interesting to see how yours fills out as so many things are unavailable or have shot up in price right now.  Good luck.

• Like 2

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

We have twin tanks, I am watching yours now!  I like what I sea! 🙂

• Like 1

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

I also have a question about the two holes on your false wall? Are you sure they are not there for mechanical reasons, I am a fabricator of acrylic and the holes are two precise in location parallel to each other and with the same size hole?  My guess is they serve a purpose yes?  Did JBJ contact you back?

• Like 1

Zer0
6 hours ago, Micro-Reefs Aquariums said:

I also have a question about the two holes on your false wall? Are you sure they are not there for mechanical reasons, I am a fabricator of acrylic and the holes are two precise in location parallel to each other and with the same size hole?  My guess is they serve a purpose yes?  Did JBJ contact you back?

So there are two holes that are supposed to be there on the false wall, they are neat and polished and are indeed parallel to eachother. But those aren’t the ones I’m talking about. You’ll see in the photos above that there appear to be two extra holes that don’t go all the way through the false wall and are positioned in strange places. 

• Like 1

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
51 minutes ago, Zer0 said:

So there are two holes that are supposed to be there on the false wall, they are neat and polished and are indeed parallel to eachother. But those aren’t the ones I’m talking about. You’ll see in the photos above that there appear to be two extra holes that don’t go all the way through the false wall and are positioned in strange places. 

I looked again and saw the unfinished holes, cnc error and they didn't discard the piece.

Shady work in my opinion.

• Like 2

growsomething

@Micro-Reefs Aquariums  Good info from a skilled craftsman.

Someday I am going to setup a 7' unused new peninsula tank I saved from a remodel and ask you some acrylic questions.  Chips, paint, sketchy seams and such.

20210219_222529.thumb.jpg.dc50265db046d4256a9ce4a98fe5fd3d.jpg

• Like 2

Zer0
11 hours ago, Micro-Reefs Aquariums said:

I looked again and saw the unfinished holes, cnc error and they didn't discard the piece.

Shady work in my opinion.

We share the same opinion indeed. 

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
13 hours ago, growsomething said:

@Micro-Reefs Aquariums  Good info from a skilled craftsman.

Someday I am going to setup a 7' unused new peninsula tank I saved from a remodel and ask you some acrylic questions.  Chips, paint, sketchy seams and such.

20210219_222529.thumb.jpg.dc50265db046d4256a9ce4a98fe5fd3d.jpg

That is gorgeous, I am yet to release a peninsula tank and this inspires me.  I just love the look of a center reef, enjoyable from almost all angles!  Mine will be much smaller, but I cannot wait to start the design.  Looking at this type of pictures is the reason I love to fabricate and assemble my line of aquariums!

• Like 1

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

Hey twin, need to call you that since we both have very identical tanks.  Any new updates?  I ordered my Nero 3 for my 12.5 gallon today, Marine Depot sent me an email they are back in stock!

• Like 1

Zer0
23 hours ago, Micro-Reefs Aquariums said:

Hey twin, need to call you that since we both have very identical tanks.  Any new updates?  I ordered my Nero 3 for my 12.5 gallon today, Marine Depot sent me an email they are back in stock!

Hey!

I got my ATO reservoir in on Saturday. It's very nice, but I haven't yet figured out how to set it up lol. I've always topped off manually in all of my previous tanks.

50971186181_0ed628382f_k.jpg

Small photo dump for now, I'll take better photos when everything clears up and I've cleaned the glass a little better.

50971186166_c7dad98fbb_k.jpg

50971186111_e058496a2b_k.jpg

50971186031_a1ff60a05a_k.jpg

50970488718_a53ffd17f4_k.jpg

50970489388_93009bc314_k.jpg

Anyways, just waiting on some ammonium chloride to get here, then I can start cycling the tank. InTank is actually in the middle of developing a media basket for the JBJ RL-10, which I'm definitely going to buy when it's released, but I'll have to figure out something else in the meantime.

I've also been looking at the Nero 3 because I might need more flow than what the return pump provides, but I'm not sure if it would be overkill or not. Not sure what my options are to be honest lol.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
24 minutes ago, Zer0 said:

Hey!

I got my ATO reservoir in on Saturday. It's very nice, but I haven't yet figured out how to set it up lol. I've always topped off manually in all of my previous tanks.

50971186181_0ed628382f_k.jpg

Small photo dump for now, I'll take better photos when everything clears up and I've cleaned the glass a little better.

50971186166_c7dad98fbb_k.jpg

50971186111_e058496a2b_k.jpg

50971186031_a1ff60a05a_k.jpg

50970488718_a53ffd17f4_k.jpg

50970489388_93009bc314_k.jpg

Anyways, just waiting on some ammonium chloride to get here, then I can start cycling the tank. InTank is actually in the middle of developing a media basket for the JBJ RL-10, which I'm definitely going to buy when it's released, but I'll have to figure out something else in the meantime.

I've also been looking at the Nero 3 because I might need more flow than what the return pump provides, but I'm not sure if it would be overkill or not. Not sure what my options are to be honest lol.

Hey Twin,

Love the reservoir I am totally jealous, you can use your cabinet lol you have a door!  My acrylic stands are just for show, until I decide to add doors.  I have a  3 stage media basket in mine with drip spout it fits like a glove, if I had your tank dimensions I could make you one, but InTank makes sick media baskets.  Since I use cover tops, I don't need an ATO, you have your top open so that is great investment.  I use the chill solutions chiller to compensate for the tops being on and heating up my system, keeps me at 78F instead of 84F.

I will show you how I add the Nero 3 to my system, even though I have the Eheim 1000 return pump that is giving me 264gph, I am getting a lot of detritus on the bottom of the tank.  My turn over rate is above average for this size tank, 21.44 times per hour.  But I want SPS corals ,so I am going with NERO 3.

• Like 1

Zer0
36 minutes ago, Micro-Reefs Aquariums said:

Hey Twin,

Love the reservoir I am totally jealous, you can use your cabinet lol you have a door!  My acrylic stands are just for show, until I decide to add doors.  I have a  3 stage media basket in mine with drip spout it fits like a glove, if I had your tank dimensions I could make you one, but InTank makes sick media baskets.  Since I use cover tops, I don't need an ATO, you have your top open so that is great investment.  I use the chill solutions chiller to compensate for the tops being on and heating up my system, keeps me at 78F instead of 84F.

I will show you how I add the Nero 3 to my system, even though I have the Eheim 1000 return pump that is giving me 264gph, I am getting a lot of detritus on the bottom of the tank.  My turn over rate is above average for this size tank, 21.44 times per hour.  But I want SPS corals ,so I am going with NERO 3.

One of the reasons I went with the JBJ was because they had a stand to go with it and it wasn't too expensive. The construction is solid, but it could be better - it's such a simple design. I would give it a B+/A- rating to be honest, only because some of the panels don't always line up with eachother, they're off just slightly. But the good thing is that none of it is really noticeable unless you're actually looking for it lol.

I'm definitely interested to see how you set up your Nero 3. I still have some time before I make a decision on what to buy for additional flow, but after looking around, I think I might be going with the Nero as well.

I'm not a huge SPS fan, but there are a couple species that I do really want, specifically stylophora and montipora digitata. I'm a real zoa and soft coral fan though, so I imagine my tank will be dominated by those mostly.

• Like 1

Micro-Reefs Aquariums

The Nero3 can be dialed back to match our size aquariums, that is why it was ordered.  The way I will make it fit will look nice, I hate cords and this one has the cord that you must hide.  Take a look at my two builds, when you have a Eurobrace the cord cannot be slide into one of the slots, but my rimless 30 gallon temperate build is getting the Nero5 and watch how I will conceal it in that one.  

I plan in the future to create hidden sleeves known as acrylic rails on the back false wall that will remove the cord from view for the Nero line of pumps the 3 and 5.  Since I work with acrylic I am going to figure something out, wait and watch how they look on rimless and eurobrace.

• Like 1

Zer0

Hello all, I bring another small update.

As it turned out, MarineDepot wasn't ignoring my emails, it was their email server that was rejecting the emails I was sending. Their email server only accepts email sizes of 10MB or less, and with the photos I was attaching to my emails, they were larger than that. The strange part was that the rejection emails were getting sent to my spam folder, which I don't check often. Long story short, they wound up giving me store credit for the damaged aquarium and I decided to use it on an AI Nero 3 purchase. I've never owned a wavemaker before and I am curious to try it out.

Anyways, on to the tank stuff:

So the stock return pump that came with the RL-10 I found to be too noisy, perhaps I got a lemon of a pump, I don't know and I don't care lol, it had to go. So initially last week I bought the Sicce Syncra Nano, and while it really is a tiny workhorse and is super quiet, it just didn't push enough water for the overflow to work efficiently. I really liked the Sicce pump, and since they don't break the bank, I wound up purchasing two other pumps from them. The Micra Plus, and the Syncra Silent 0.5.

50983925572_c7a429cf48_k.jpg

So I put them all through their paces, and unfortunately, the Micra Plus I got must have been a lemon because it honestly sounds like an ice crusher at any flow rate. So that one was out. Swapped the Micra Plus out for the Syncra Silent 0.5, and it's honestly a great pump. I have it dialed in to around 75% of its full 185GPH, and it's much quieter than the stock pump. Very happy with it. Now I'm not even sure I'll need be needing the Nero 3. The 0.5 will only fit in the return chamber if you take the shroud off and drop it in diagonally, just as an FYI.

I also have the inside of the stand pretty much completed. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

50983862627_6d7d01a333_k.jpg

And then I finished this temporary media basket until InTank releases their version for the RL-10. It works really well, but I have to use a towel to wick up water when I pull it out of the first chamber as water gets caught on all the little flat parts and then spills all over the place lol. It'll do for now though.

50983862817_a75a754643_k.jpg

Also, the tank has officially started cycling! Using ammonia dosing + bio-spira as the cycling method this time. I'm interested to see how fast it works.

That's all for now, but I'll take some more photos tomorrow after the water clears up and everything settles down.

Thanks for looking!

• Like 1

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
5 minutes ago, Zer0 said:

Hello all, I bring another small update.

As it turned out, MarineDepot wasn't ignoring my emails, it was their email server that was rejecting the emails I was sending. Their email server only accepts email sizes of 10MB or less, and with the photos I was attaching to my emails, they were larger than that. The strange part was that the rejection emails were getting sent to my spam folder, which I don't check often. Long story short, they wound up giving me store credit for the damaged aquarium and I decided to use it on an AI Nero 3 purchase. I've never owned a wavemaker before and I am curious to try it out.

Anyways, on to the tank stuff:

So the stock return pump that came with the RL-10 I found to be too noisy, perhaps I got a lemon of a pump, I don't know and I don't care lol, it had to go. So initially last week I bought the Sicce Syncra Nano, and while it really is a tiny workhorse and is super quiet, it just didn't push enough water for the overflow to work efficiently. I really liked the Sicce pump, and since they don't break the bank, I wound up purchasing two other pumps from them. The Micra Plus, and the Syncra Silent 0.5.

50983925572_c7a429cf48_k.jpg

So I put them all through their paces, and unfortunately, the Micra Plus I got must have been a lemon because it honestly sounds like an ice crusher at any flow rate. So that one was out. Swapped the Micra Plus out for the Syncra Silent 0.5, and it's honestly a great pump. I have it dialed in to around 75% of its full 185GPH, and it's much quieter than the stock pump. Very happy with it. Now I'm not even sure I'll need be needing the Nero 3. The 0.5 will only fit in the return chamber if you take the shroud off and drop it in diagonally, just as an FYI.

I also have the inside of the stand pretty much completed. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

50983862627_6d7d01a333_k.jpg

And then I finished this temporary media basket until InTank releases their version for the RL-10. It works really well, but I have to use a towel to wick up water when I pull it out of the first chamber as water gets caught on all the little flat parts and then spills all over the place lol. It'll do for now though.

50983862817_a75a754643_k.jpg

Also, the tank has officially started cycling! Using ammonia dosing + bio-spira as the cycling method this time. I'm interested to see how fast it works.

That's all for now, but I'll take some more photos tomorrow after the water clears up and everything settles down.

Thanks for looking!

I salute for using the SICCE pumps!  That is what I endorse for all my aquariums!  

• Like 1

Tony Bologna

This looks great. What are your thoughts on the AI Prime?

Zer0
8 hours ago, Tony Bologna said:

This looks great. What are your thoughts on the AI Prime?

Thank you!

I really love the Prime, but my only issue with it is that the fan is very loud, and it’s usually on most of the time. I’ve had small LED units in the past, including DIY kits, and I’ve never had anything that is as loud and obnoxious as this one. Maybe I got a bad one, I’m not sure. Either way, I am overall happy with it, but the real test will be when I start adding in coral.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
5 hours ago, Zer0 said:

Thank you!

I really love the Prime, but my only issue with it is that the fan is very loud, and it’s usually on most of the time. I’ve had small LED units in the past, including DIY kits, and I’ve never had anything that is as loud and obnoxious as this one. Maybe I got a bad one, I’m not sure. Either way, I am overall happy with it, but the real test will be when I start adding in coral.

Actually mine has a very small humming sound to it, but not enough to annoy me.  We have the same light, even the color white as well!

• Like 1