Innovative Marine Aquariums

Yeah, it'll be a big fish.  But I can't say that it really upsets me.  I'm pretty sure that you'll continue to evaluate how it's getting along, and adjust if needed.

• Like 2
Murphs_Reef
23 minutes ago, seabass said:

Yeah, it'll be a big fish.  But I can't say that it really upsets me.  I'm pretty sure that you'll continue to evaluate how it's getting along, and adjust if needed.

Yeah indeed mate. I'm always swapping stuff out anyway. If it gets to be a problem it will get traded in..for now it's a bit bigger than my pajama cardinal.. and it's proven to be best mates with the dusky wrasse so all good 

• Like 2
Murphs_Reef

Today's additions are mainly snails. Time to let it all mature a little now. I have over 30 snails and a good mix of fish.. think im stocked now. Maybe a pair of clowns later in the year. 

I can get back to corals soon.. a few weeks maybe a month then I'll start adding some more LPS. 

New just in:

• Six line wrasse
  • 3 Astrea
  • 4 turbos (they are massive see below)
  • 2 Nass 

Also picked up a Salifert nitrate test.. seem very good and actually registering 5ppm 👍🏼

IMG_20210403_130415.jpg

• Like 3
Murphs_Reef

James the bast.ard, annoys every one off in equal measures. Currently being chased by the most placid fish in the tank, the pajama cardinal...

Even looks like a little monster doesn't he?

IMG_20210404_205750.jpg

• Haha 2
Murphs_Reef

My rock work is being demolished by these massive turbos. I need to get some more epoxy in there to secure it. 

I have a few rocks which I did want to move around, not so much of a rescape just a bit if finishing off. 

Is it unwise to move rocks around, keep in mind it's been 6 weeks since I booted the system. Thoughts @mcarroll?

• Like 2
Murphs_Reef

Can tell the better weather is on its way. Tank read 1..026 yesterday now 1.027.. it just took 2 litres RO to top off. I might fashion a lid for the sump 😱 2 lites a day!? 

So shocked I was frantically checking the floor for water around the tank..bone dry 

• Haha 2
  • Wow 1
2 minutes ago, Murphych said:

Can tell the better weather is on its way. Tank read 1..026 yesterday now 1.027.. it just took 2 litres RO to top off. I might fashion a lid for the sump 😱 2 lites a day!? 

So shocked I was frantically checking the floor for water around the tank..bone dry 

Better weather? I got snow today.

Wow 2 litres is a lot of evap, I'm slightly concerned that I only have a 3 Gallon Res on mine to service a 20

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Murphs_Reef
21 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Better weather? I got snow today.

Wow 2 litres is a lot of evap, I'm slightly concerned that I only have a 3 Gallon Res on mine to service a 20

Yeah it's not as good as last week but no snow. 

Yeah my chamber isn't the biggest. Not started using it yet cause I don't have an ATO yet, I'll need to sort that out.  I don't understand why it's suck a big volume evaporation though... 

My 100 gallon tank evaporates about twice that.  Humidity, temperature, and surface area all affect evaporation (and air movement affects the amount of air exposed to the water surface).  Obviously a solid top will help reduce evaporation.

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
Murphs_Reef
4 hours ago, seabass said:

My 100 gallon tank evaporates about twice that.  Humidity, temperature, and surface area all affect evaporation (and air movement affects the amount of air exposed to the water surface).  Obviously a solid top will help reduce evaporation.

Now that's some amount of evaporation. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Murphs_Reef

Been a good week other than a bit of a salinity bugger up.

The Dusky Wrasse and Scopas Tang are very social fish, always hang out until the wrasse dives into the sand at night. At which point the Tang goes and swims with the Chromis.

Dusky is doing well.. always looking for pods 

IMG_20210407_105135.jpg

Scopas is on the look out for GHA to munch, but unfortunately for him, there is very little left to go at. Look at that sand bed compared to last week!!

IMG_20210407_105201.jpg

• Like 3
  • Wow 1
Murphs_Reef

Ok tomorrow I need to turn this into something tidy and safe (the ugly side of the tank). 

Taking some inspiration from @Sealybomband his cable management box, I have an idea of something at the side of my tank (and off the bloody floor!!) got myself 3 sheets of 9mm MDF and black vinyl to cover / water proof it. 

IMG_20210407_170148.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Murphs_Reef

Not much of an update on the cable management, adhesive has gone off and first coat of paint applied to the inside. 

Just been in the arm chair with a beer watching the tank light ramp down.

I now completely understand why people like tangs (coral first then fish for me). The Scopas Tang is absolutely fantastic to watch. It's never still, picking algae from the rocks swimming effortlessly around the rock work. Brilliant to watch

• Like 1
Murphs_Reef

CURRENT PARAMETERS 

Temp: 24.4 °c

NO3 (Salifert): 5.0

PO4 (Hanna): 0.00

SG (TMC): 1.026

dKh (API): 8.0

Ca (Salifert): 460

10% water change done as well. More GHA and cyanobacteria is creeping in. I'm struggling to keep dKh at 8 and it seems to drop 0.25 a day, from what I read that's not that much of a drop due to having a few LPS in the tank. 

Getting sick of mixing my own salt water so thinking about buying in premix weekly, I have a feeling as summer draws in I will get lazy with preparing water again.. 

• Like 1
On 4/6/2021 at 5:57 AM, Murphych said:

My rock work is being demolished by these massive turbos. I need to get some more epoxy in there to secure it. 

I have a few rocks which I did want to move around, not so much of a rescape just a bit if finishing off. 

Is it unwise to move rocks around, keep in mind it's been 6 weeks since I booted the system. Thoughts @mcarroll?

Better to reply late than never?

Either re-stack the rocks so they aren't prone to moving, use some type of anchor or adhesive to bind some rocks together, or drill some of the rocks to accept rods or pins to join them.  Folks have used fiberglass and other materials.

Or trade the turbo snails for something smaller...

As long as nothing gets smashed in the process, moving some rocks shouoldn't be too big a deal if necessary.  Just reassess flow for all your corals to make sure you aren't making any changes that incidentally block flow.

• Like 2
On 4/11/2021 at 4:03 PM, Murphych said:

Sunday 11/04 14:44

Temp: 24.4 °c

NO3 (Salifert): 5.0

PO4 (Hanna): 0.00

SG (TMC): 1.026

dKh (API): 8.0

Ca (Salifert): 460

10% water change done as well. More GHA and cyanobacteria is creeping in. I'm struggling to keep dKh at 8 and it seems to drop 0.25 a day, from what I read that's not that much of a drop due to having a few LPS in the tank. 

Getting sick of mixing my own salt water so thinking about buying in premix weekly, I have a feeling as summer draws in I will get lazy with preparing water again.. 

Seems like phosphates have bottomed out.  I would be wary of removing more nutrients (eg water changes) under these circumstances.

Mixing water should be a lot easier than going out and carrying it home @ 1kg/L.   THAT'S A REAL WORKOUT!!

Maybe you need to improve your home mixing apparatus to make it easier?   What part (or parts) of the experience are making you sick of it?

• Like 2
Murphs_Reef
10 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

Seems like phosphates have bottomed out.  I would be wary of removing more nutrients (eg water changes) under these circumstances.

Mixing water should be a lot easier than going out and carrying it home @ 1kg/L.   THAT'S A REAL WORKOUT!!

Maybe you need to improve your home mixing apparatus to make it easier?   What part (or parts) of the experience are making you sick of it?

I still have the "carry it home" part. I don't have an RODI installed so have to go and get water to mix. 

Yeah I could install one but not sure where I would put it, under the sink isn't an option. 

I do have a decent setup in the summerhouse, large 100 litre container with heater and pump but it's just the process of setting it up as well as getting the water back to the house that frustrates me. Unless I get a RODI I might as well just cut out the middle part of the process?  

Oh and saves on having a big container to mix as well as a large bucket of salt sitting around. 

• Like 1
  • Murphs_Reef changed the title to murphs_reef 92G - retired, thanks guys