inTank Media Baskets

ECLS Reefer

Random question since we are talking about heaters and controllers- does adding a chiller with a controller mean you can achieve a single constant tank temp?

• Agree 1
Murphs_Reef
1 hour ago, ECLS Reefer said:

Random question since we are talking about heaters and controllers- does adding a chiller with a controller mean you can achieve a single constant tank temp?

We will find out in short order.. I'll have a chiller coming in the next month 👍🏼

• Like 2
3 hours ago, ECLS Reefer said:

I always ran a chiller on the 29 and never had temp issues. Wish i had a place to put one on the 250

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Murphs_Reef

All fish 1 week on in the hospital tank are doing fantastic!

Fish seem to be active and eating well under the copper treatment.. the tang is very white looking and a little upset but still eating...

Another week to go of daily water changes then I can get the copper water out and fresh salt in then some rock in from the rock tank in the shed for a few more weeks before they go back into the DT tank..  

Hah @brandon429 the API ammonia test on the hospital tank reads 2ppm even with 50% daily water changes and all fish swimming well with fat bellies... Accurate eh??🤣

@Snow_Phoenix I put a Tupperware tub of sand in and the wrasse's n chalk white goby are much better now! Thanks for the tip..

so far so good . 

PXL_20220305_152111544.thumb.jpg.76c2372316c722972d726e488f4e6e65.jpg

• Like 6

Controllers are looking nice and tidy!

Good to see your progress with the rebuild too, thanks for sharing. 

What are your first impressions of the DD heating controller? I’ve been thinking of picking one up for a while. 

• Like 2
Murphs_Reef
2 hours ago, NanoGrant said:

Controllers are looking nice and tidy!

Good to see your progress with the rebuild too, thanks for sharing. 

What are your first impressions of the DD heating controller? I’ve been thinking of picking one up for a while. 

Cheers mate. Yeah it's been a bit of a slog like!  All the coral are back up and loving it bar one hammer which got a kicking during moving it around and didn't make it... 

The controller is brilliant so far, much more stable than the bloody inkbird.. one problem is that the alarm keeps beeping until it meets the threshold you set.. so you want to put it at over 0.5°C.

I had my probe directly under the ATO output so it was beeping every few hours and I couldn't figure out why for the first day lol!! 

Good to see another Scot on the site! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

• Like 1
Murphs_Reef

Scape is complete now.. all rock I want to save is in the dt. Lots in the sump and loads of zoas to give back to the LFS on Thursday.. 

Can't wait till all the rock colours back up.. quite a bit of it is white as it wasnt exposed to light and/or has been hammered into bits! 

Under Blues 

PXL_20220307_144823698.thumb.jpg.0289a71545fbcaaba618002c9fb8a5e0.jpg

With whites 

PXL_20220307_144809043.thumb.jpg.714a8820729ab469426a449df723ff59.jpg

• Like 8

you were able to maintain all the aging characteristics so that the tank doesn't look wiped clean/back to white/only now its 100% waste free, that's a great detail here. Your coralline still spots like a healthy maturity proof, it all looks perfect

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
Murphs_Reef
5 hours ago, ninjamyst said:

How did you keep your coralline algae alive?  I drained my tank and they all died after being exposed to air overnight

I did the full rip clean in around 5 hours though some of the bigger rocks came out a couple days before so I didn't have to lift to much weight on the day.

For me it was key to have all the tools, buckets, water at 25.5°c ready. 

I pulled out around 30% sand before the rock with a Syphon. Then picked the coral off the rock as well as any small rocks with deeply rooted coral, putting them into a long container with flow and heat. 

Once cleared down of the smaller coral and rocks, I pulled the large ones and put them direct into buckets of same salinity and temperature. Then the remaining sand came out.. before the water. The tank was dry for less that 30 mins before it got filled back up while the sand was being cleaned.. base rock went back first, some rock and coral sat in buckets for 2 days but the bulk of the rock AND some coral got put back in the sump as soon as it had been cleared of detritus so I could spend a couple days putting it back together as I like to play around with ideas before committing to anything with epoxy  (a lot of rock is still there now). 

There are areas of die off, mainly at the top and on the pumps but in the main... Its alive. 

See at the top? A good bit of white dead coralline: 

PXL_20220307_165935037.thumb.jpg.1ebf968bc62a7503d1d972c0bcbcb1c7.jpg

• Like 4
  • Murphs_Reef changed the title to Reefspace 92gallon LPS & Softies! Fallow

we also had some large reefs taken down for rip cleans that had coral and corals like anthelia strung all over the back wall they wanted to keep, even if the tank was to be down/apart for a few hours during cleaning. they filled a mister bottle full of tank water and kept the areas wet, I suspect if temps in the house are decent pretty much any coral and all coralline could go days like this in holding/sprayed wet.

• Like 2
Murphs_Reef
1 minute ago, brandon429 said:

My gosh if my vase was filled with all those top shelf corals it would look like a bejeweled crown for kings lol

A king indeed!

I just noticed that on the Right Hand Side picture that I got my sand sifting star in the shot! He's on the look out for worms... I'm sure plenty have migrated back into the sand, there are lots in the sump as well now due to holding a lot of rock!! 

• Like 2

https://humble.fish/community/index.php?threads/need-advice-moving-established-sps-tanks.9259/

I sent your job to him to use as a guide. since the job requires reading more than eight sentences I think he's going to wing it, and select not to pattern off a total win. Rip cleaning is a thankless job at times he he. I hope he moves it without any rinse, sometimes learning the hard way sticks the best. 

considering his whole thread has no direct move examples and that's the only one, there's a fair chance he's already seen your work as well as several readers from Humblefish's forum. 

I was trying to branch out there and pick up some more remote work thread jobs to collect but they're too dang mean and skeptical there, so I will leave em be. they can just wing et

• Thanks 1
Murphs_Reef

Yeah you need to plan the work out. If you miss 1 step, it would soon be a nightmare.. not enough water, to little buckets to hold livestock.. not enough sand rinse.. lots of die off.. 

You need a plan, a checklist and the dedicated time to do the work. 

And like anything in this hobby... You need I read and research BIG TIME. 

• Thanks 1

it is full blown reef tank surgery. my best recommend to run it correctly is to suit up like steve martin did in little shop of horrors 

• Like 1

Murph, why are you getting rid of some of your zoas? Wish I were closer, I'd buy the lot!!  Also, wasn't it you awhile back that scraped all coraline off the back wall which I questioned at the time but then realized how much more you corals popped? Will you scrape it clean again once rock has growth, or let it continue to fill up the wall?

• Thanks 1
Murphs_Reef
1 hour ago, Pjanssen said:

Murph, why are you getting rid of some of your zoas? Wish I were closer, I'd buy the lot!!  Also, wasn't it you awhile back that scraped all coraline off the back wall which I questioned at the time but then realized how much more you corals popped? Will you scrape it clean again once rock has growth, or let it continue to fill up the wall?

Haha Penny yes it was. 

Argh no sooner have I scraped the coralline off, it's back again... So I have learned to live with it on the back wall. The other walls need twice a week scraping to keep it away. 

Yeah totally, the corals and the rock look so much better Infront of the black background.

I'm giving away most of the invasive zoas, I have a few left as they are great space fillers but I just have so many orange and greens I want more red.. I took out a lot of GSP as well... To say that grows fast is an understatement 👍🏼

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Murphych said:

Haha Penny yes it was. 

Argh no sooner have I scraped the coralline off, it's back again... So I have learned to live with it on the back wall. The other walls need twice a week scraping to keep it away. 

Yeah totally, the corals and the rock look so much better Infront of the black background.

I'm giving away most of the invasive zoas, I have a few left as they are great space fillers but I just have so many orange and greens I want more red.. I took out a lot of GSP as well... To say that grows fast is an understatement 👍🏼

So remind me again what are these invasive Zoas? I cannot get the GSP to grow at all in the Mantis Murder Manor but the Xenia is going mental again.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Murphs_Reef changed the title to murphs_reef 92G - retired, thanks guys