inTank Media Baskets

Thank you so much, I can’t wait for this to be the flagship build on what I hope to become a giant collection of jobs for nano-reef.com. I have used rip cleans to cheat my vase into very old age

We found patterns by working as a team of feedback posters to discover if the low organic waste state is good or bad for home reef tanks, and how to arrive there reliably 

my first reef vase which would have been 21 years old roughly, died because of no cheats permitted in the early aughts. We rode tanks into the ground back then…only one shot to assemble the system then you keep hands off, you either get a great reef or you get invaded till it’s all taken over by X and you do a lot of hoping. Back then we backseated, and whatever happens in the display is a result of bad or good luck for most, the reef selects the direction

artistic skill made the select few uninvaded but the rule was firmly: keep your hands out of the tank, don’t upset stability.

rip cleans are the physical refusal to enter the down slope of a bell curve in tank happiness. It’s anti eutrophication in the purest form.

We can flip the tables on misperforming reefs before they get bad, not after.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks both. Yeah there are shrimp, lots of coral and other inverts to enjoy for now. 

Took a lot of rock out and have it in the sump should I want to add or tweak. 

So much zoa mass removed. Literally hundreds of polyps in holding ready to go back to the LFS so someone else can enjoy them.. 

Fish not very well in the holding tank.. copper is hard on them: 

PXL_20220227_181920438.thumb.jpg.28f9c838f910aba49e23bb659e08515b.jpg

Sixline sleeping without sand looks tragic 

PXL_20220227_182319561.thumb.jpg.9291792698a04b4997e3749d6bb4fa74.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, Murphych said:

Oi oi. Big old Aiptasia in the sump popping up since I cleaned the weir out. Shoe have left it alone.. that's why the peppermint has been spotted out and about today then! 

PXL_20220227_201112734.thumb.jpg.58cf3f5738429b57eed0876af0cd2606.jpg

scrape that baby off!

• Like 4
42 minutes ago, Murphych said:

Thanks both. Yeah there are shrimp, lots of coral and other inverts to enjoy for now. 

Took a lot of rock out and have it in the sump should I want to add or tweak. 

So much zoa mass removed. Literally hundreds of polyps in holding ready to go back to the LFS so someone else can enjoy them.. 

Fish not very well in the holding tank.. copper is hard on them: 

PXL_20220227_181920438.thumb.jpg.28f9c838f910aba49e23bb659e08515b.jpg

Sixline sleeping without sand looks tragic 

PXL_20220227_182319561.thumb.jpg.9291792698a04b4997e3749d6bb4fa74.jpg

Awe, poor fish. I hope they make it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It’s laser clear it really is 🙂 well done 

it’s perfect. This nice short photo period for pics then lights off will have them adapted perfectly by morning, tomorrow will look sharp 

that’s a clean laser clear rinse, well done so glad to see it 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Tank looks great after the rip clean. How are the fish doing? That Sixline Picture made me nervous for your fish, just looks so weird. 

He was worse affected by the ich. I actually thought he died just over a week ago as he was on his side in the DT, just like the way he is on that picture above.

It wasn't until I took him out the tank and was ready to dispose of him, I noticed his gills going mad.. he started swimming again but now in copper treatment he is on a downward spiral again.

The rest of the fish are eating, but under stress from the treatment.. the Scopas tang has turned almost pure white... Worry!!

The tank however, not a single coral lost, or even pissed off for more than a couple hours. It's really good . Po4 0.04 and no3 5ppm so all good... 

• Like 5
1 minute ago, Murphych said:

He was worse affected by the ich. I actually thought he died just over a week ago as he was on his side in the DT, just like the way he is on that picture above.

It wasn't until I took him out the tank and was ready to dispose of him, I noticed his gills going mad.. he started swimming again but now in copper treatment he is on a downward spiral again.

The rest of the fish are eating, but under stress from the treatment.. the Scopas tang has turned almost pure white... Worry!!

The tank however, not a single coral lost, or even pissed off for more than a couple hours. It's really good . Po4 0.04 and no3 5ppm so all good... 

If I'm not mistaken, wrasse are more sensitive towards copper as compared to most other species. 🤔

You can give the sixline a small sandbox for it to rest in - just stick a tupperware with a bit of sand in it and put it in a low-flow area of the QT. 

• Thanks 1
Just now, Snow_Phoenix said:

If I'm not mistaken, wrasse are more sensitive towards copper as compared to most other species. 🤔

You can give the sixline a small sandbox for it to rest in - just stick a tupperware with a bit of sand in it and put it in a low-flow area of the QT. 

Great idea thank you 👍🏼

• Like 2

I friggin love after pics. Love them, yours is pure pop and the tank looks empty/ devoid of water. Predictions are in place from page 27 to track in future updates. It’s one of the top 3 rip cleans I’ve ever seen mane 🙂

due to your personal discipline and resolve to do a good job, I promise this effort you did will be used to save other peoples tanks one way or another.

we can now track your cyano issues to see how they respond to complete bashing of their communities in situ. 

if this was a dino challenge, the tank is now aligned to try the fancy stuff people try in order to beat dinos. We never apply those in the invaded condition, that’s what the masses do.

if this was a move homes job, we’d simply do the full set back up in the new home vs the old. 

if this was a tank upgrade or downgrade, the stuff would’ve gone back in the new tank exactly as you set it all back in here.

your nitrification rates, orp are all aligned as best as they can be in the home the tank resides in, your surface area is as open as it can ever be. Now we get to feed those gems/top shelf corals and fill it all up again and repeat in ‘25, yay. Unless you don’t need to 🙂

• Like 2

One detail stands out too: on the second to the last pic, lower right, am I seeing the telltale whiskers of a lysmata cleaner shrimp or is that a gorg arm or something 

• Agree 1
Murphs_Reef
47 minutes ago, brandon429 said:

One detail stands out too: on the second to the last pic, lower right, am I seeing the telltale whiskers of a lysmata cleaner shrimp or is that a gorg arm or something 

Yep 2 cleaner shrimp, 1 peppermint in there and happy.. oh I forgot also a conch snail, sand sifting star, hermits (4 zebra, 1 Halloween, 1 electric blue), 2 mussels... And around 50 Cerith, Turbo, Astrea and Nass snails... Every animal happy! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Reason why that stood out: in my opinion lysmata are the single weakest, pickiest of water quality, die at the slightest insult animal we can keep in reefing. Perhaps a basket star is worse but who here or anywhere keeps those 

linkia are second or tied with lysmata as bioindicators…your ammonia is 100% in check and if it wasn’t, or if an incomplete rinse happened (which it dang sure did not lol) and bacterial compounds of concern were in play, he w be belly and whiskers up. I bet he molts soon though and just moves along all as normal.

rule of bioindicators in rip cleans…open corals are the first one we get in jobs done perfectly 

I love that this job for a large tank was packed into 2 easy to read pages vs ten. Now, to discern seriousness of job applicants we can just send them here for a cursory read and if they accept sandbed murder by tap rinse, ten times over plus glass test, we then make a custom plan for their tank. 

• Like 2
Murphs_Reef

Yep and the coral all opened in an hour of putting them back.. the leathers shed in a day and are all open.. see the cabbage in the middle and the finger leather on the left.. fully open 

• Like 2
  • Murphs_Reef changed the title to Reefspace 92gallon LPS & Softies! Rebuilt and fallow
10 hours ago, Murphych said:

Right the inkbird had its final chance.. I'm going to swap it out for the DD temp control... time reset alarm happened just after I went to bed and woke up to 22°c water 

Don't know what it's like in Britland, but there are places where you can buy entry-level industrial brewing control units for 70-90. They don't have much in the way of connectivity, looks, or whistles, but they're built to not piss off people standing to loose 300+Gallons of beer.
Ranco and Johnston controls seem to be the easiest to find over here.

Murphs_Reef
On 3/2/2022 at 5:52 PM, A.m.P said:

Don't know what it's like in Britland, but there are places where you can buy entry-level industrial brewing control units for 70-90. They don't have much in the way of connectivity, looks, or whistles, but they're built to not piss off people standing to loose 300+Gallons of beer.
Ranco and Johnston controls seem to be the easiest to find over here.

Just picked this up instead ... The inkbird is getting dropped in the bin 

Screenshot_20220303-192729.thumb.png.f87f9027933b7e44d023763fdb4fc57f.png

• Like 2
  • Murphs_Reef changed the title to murphs_reef 92G - retired, thanks guys