Cultivated Reef

On 3/1/2021 at 11:57 AM, Murphych said:

Anyone who says custom perspex lids bend under the lights doesn't know what they are on about #flat #solid #BentAsFu#k

IMG_20210227_085037.jpg

Don't know for sure but IMO it's the humidity.  I've read that acrylic is porous (like all plastics?).  So the wet side swells slightly when it absorbs moisture vs the dry side and causes the warping.  I've had 1/2" acrylic do this even though it was perforated with 1/8" holes about every 2" on the square.  If I flipped it over it would warp the other way within a day or two.  🤷‍♂️ This is why I like acrylic, but don't like acrylic.

• Like 2
Murphs_Reef
14 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

Don't know for sure but IMO it's the humidity.  I've read that acrylic is porous (like all plastics?).  So the wet side swells slightly when it absorbs moisture vs the dry side and causes the warping.  I've had 1/2" acrylic do this even though it was perforated with 1/8" holes about every 2" on the square.  If I flipped it over it would warp the other way within a day or two.  🤷‍♂️ This is why I like acrylic, but don't like acrylic.

Exactly that mate . I flip it over when it bends in to much. My DD jumpguard should be here anytime now so should be good 👍🏼

• Like 1
On 3/3/2021 at 6:29 AM, Murphych said:

I flip it over when it bends in too much.

I flipped mine over yesterday too. 👍

2 hours ago, Murphych said:

Keeps dropping like a rock again

Once you determine the current consumption rate, don't relax too much on testing, as consumption might start to decline.

• Like 2
Murphs_Reef
Just now, seabass said:

I flipped mine over yesterday too. 👍

Once you determine the current consumption rate, don't relax too much on testing, as consumption might start to decline.

Yeah it's a daily gig until I see stability. Not really started in mag or ca yet, i did them couple days back and they seem fine. But N and P daily for now 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Murphych said:

Keeps dropping like a rock again

°C🌡️: 25 °C

NO3: 0.0 ppm

PO4: 0.01 ppm

SG: 1.025 SG

That means that either you aren't dosing enough quantity or with enough frequency – adapt one or both so that you don't get zero readings....you always want that residual level (for now).  (Letting things return to zero starts the process over in some ways.)

Things are growing and using them up – this is a good thing!   Gives you an idea of how things are going in the tank too....things have probably been stalled...and now things are growing and maturing!  👏

• Like 2
Murphs_Reef
46 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

That means that either you aren't dosing enough quantity or with enough frequency – adapt one or both so that you don't get zero readings....you always want that residual level (for now).  (Letting things return to zero starts the process over in some ways.)

Things are growing and using them up – this is a good thing!   Gives you an idea of how things are going in the tank too....things have probably been stalled...and now things are growing and maturing!  👏

Yeah that's a great spin on things. Yeah I am acutely aware of the very small bioload in the tank and that my overfeeding is still only overfeeding a nano tank.. I am trying to push against my internal governance to do either a bit more or actually dose product. 

• Like 1
Murphs_Reef

The small reef I have at the moment will grow a little at the weekend via a couple new rocks and some additions to the cuc

@Ratvan 8m thinking about rock wall round and up the weir.. have been looking at ideas and I think your right mate.. got an inch and a half between the wall n rock so think I'll carry on right up to the surface. Maybe some very small rockwork coming out of the sand at the front but nothing major. I like the look alot and it gives a good view from all angles of the tank 👌

IMG_20210304_165803.jpg

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Murphych said:

The small reef I have at the moment will grow a little at the weekend via a couple new rocks and some additions to the cuc

@Ratvan 8m thinking about rock wall round and up the weir.. have been looking at ideas and I think your right mate.. got an inch and a half between the wall n rock so think I'll carry on right up to the surface. Maybe some very small rockwork coming out of the sand at the front but nothing major. I like the look alot and it gives a good view from all angles of the tank 👌

IMG_20210304_165803.jpg

It does look good indeed, i'm getting closer to finalising my designs for mine now

• Like 1
Murphs_Reef

More of the same purple base.

Oh and a few bags of pods.. not that I can see through the glass anymore with the amount I have already but it keeps the fish entertained..  I also added the spare Jebao wp 40 I had in the shed cause there are some dead spots around the weir so it's high flow now. 

Also I have an amazing boom in Spirorbid worms on the back wall.. literally 100s now 👍🏼

• Like 1
Murphs_Reef

Look at this dirty beast sneaking up on my brand new Cerith's from within his cave...

He's on a table shrimp alternated with a full mussel every day now to pacify him but he still has a bunch of empty shells around his cave every morning 👎🏼

It's no reason to remove an amazing animal though... #naturetakingitscourse 

IMG_20210306_155827.jpg

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
Murphs_Reef

How many snails can you see in this rock? It's the one I have put focus into to rid it if GHA before moving on to the other bad patch.

Looks like the cuc have found the very short remaining GHA themselves....👍🏼 

IMG_20210307_190618.jpg

• Like 3
Murphs_Reef
On 3/6/2021 at 8:46 PM, Murphych said:

Really pleased with how this GHA has been eradicated from the acan yeah, really good 🤣🤣

IMG_20210306_204415.jpg

This same acan after a bit of plucking. I really don't have much GHA left after just 10 mins a day of pulling and putting the Astrea Snails on the frags.

I'll keep going on the right hand side of the tank for now. Then it's just the hornets that I need to clean off. Hopefully i have enough cuc to keep it in check now 👍🏼

IMG_20210308_142033.jpg

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Murphych said:

This same acan after a bit of plucking. I really don't have much GHA left after just 10 mins a day of pulling and putting the Astrea Snails on the frags.

I'll keep going on the right hand side of the tank for now. Then it's just the hornets that I need to clean off. Hopefully i have enough cuc to keep it in check now 👍🏼

IMG_20210308_142033.jpg

Best way, pluck the algae and "train" the CUC to tidy it up

• Like 2
  • Murphs_Reef changed the title to murphs_reef 92G - retired, thanks guys