Cultivated Reef

6 hours ago, InAtTheDeepEnd said:

what's pandora? those look like sad zoanthids....

They are zoas.. horrible 

1669204759_PXL_20230128_185419339_exported_80702.thumb.jpg.d33b9ea47a16079022f377ef4e032c66.jpg

5 hours ago, seabass said:

I assume that's autocorrect speak for palythoa.

Nope Pandora Zoas 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Murphs_Reef said:

They are zoas.. horrible 

Nope Pandora Zoas 

Lol, I had a feeling, IIRC they also go by fairy dust and pink-and-golds. Plenty of folk seem to wish they never bought them

• Like 1
Just now, A.m.P said:

Lol, I had a feeling, IIRC they also go by fairy dust and pink-and-golds. Plenty of folk seem to wish they never bought them

Yep.. one single.polyp.will absolutely end up in full tank takeover if you don't keep your eye on it... The single way to get it out is to rip the rock out.. 

• Sad 1
  • Murphs_Reef changed the title to Reefspace 92gallon mixed reef
On 2/8/2023 at 1:06 PM, Murphs_Reef said:

Well they are all but defeated now. A few left but by next week they will be history ☺️

so how did you eradicate them. I have a huge colony of whatever this is-

Taken under blues/whites

IMG_5005.thumb.jpeg.2549449332f3232b3876de5d30846173.jpeg

Taken under all whites

IMG_5006.thumb.jpeg.12a3f7b95b047a435d918fa08033228b.jpeg

Would like to get rid of it to make room for something nicer, but its everywhere, can't just take an affected rock out

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

so how did you eradicate them. I have a huge colony of whatever this is-

Taken under blues/whites

IMG_5005.thumb.jpeg.2549449332f3232b3876de5d30846173.jpeg

Taken under all whites

IMG_5006.thumb.jpeg.12a3f7b95b047a435d918fa08033228b.jpeg

Would like to get rid of it to make room for something nicer, but its everywhere, can't just take an affected rock out

So the biggest colony I took the rock out... Was just too many to combat. 

The smaller one (which was still massive) I cut out with a razor blade in small patches of around 20/30 polyps over about a week. I've noticed a few new polyps growing out of bits of the mat, so will need to go back over and cut them out. Horrid and invasive 😱

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
3 hours ago, Murphs_Reef said:

So the biggest colony I took the rock out... Was just too many to combat. 

The smaller one (which was still massive) I cut out with a razor blade in small patches of around 20/30 polyps over about a week. I've noticed a few new polyps growing out of bits of the mat, so will need to go back over and cut them out. Horrid and invasive 😱

Did you cut them while under water?

Oh no so sorry. 😢 I know this is probably a sign of me being gullible that I would mention this, but I’ve seen people say they put their fish back in the tank after something like this and sometimes the fish is not dead and is okay. Have you heard of such a thing? Is it just a prank? 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, banasophia said:

I’ve seen people say they put their fish back in the tank after something like this and sometimes the fish is not dead and is okay.

It'd still have to be breathing (it really depends on how long it's been out of the water).

• Like 4
5 hours ago, seabass said:

It'd still have to be breathing (it really depends on how long it's been out of the water).

You’d think so, but I’ve heard from maybe 3-4 people (not people I know though) in Facebook reefing groups that said their fish came back to life when they looked totally dead and dried after jumping. 

And I saw a video a few weeks back where someone put a dried out puffer fish back in the water and it resuscitated. 

https://fb.watch/iINOqnj8CP/

12740FCE-359C-48BD-A5DB-CB85BE396A1D.thumb.png.c76483d0345322517e450519dfcc14d0.png

Here’s a guy describing what happened with his fish the day before, though he didn’t video it, just demonstrates with a healthy fish how he did it. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 2
1 hour ago, banasophia said:

You’d think so, but I’ve heard from maybe 3-4 people (not people I know though) in Facebook reefing groups that said their fish came back to life when they looked totally dead and dried after jumping. 

And I saw a video a few weeks back where someone put a dried out puffer fish back in the water and it resuscitated. 

Wow! wish I'd seen this before I gave up on my hawkfish a couple of days ago

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
1 minute ago, Pjanssen said:

Wow! wish I'd seen this before I gave up on my hawkfish a couple of days ago

Yeah, it probably won’t actually work, but if I had a jumper I would probably give it a try. So sorry to hear about your hawkfish. 😢

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I had a few neon tetras jump out of one of my tanks a while ago. One was still flopping around when I found them but the other 2 looked dead. I put both back in the tank and one of the 2 swam of after a minute of being in water. I don’t know how long this fish was out of water for though

• Like 3
43 minutes ago, jservedio said:

Been a while, but the tank and new lights are looking great - glad the tank turned a corner! Sorry about the sixline, that thing was fat as hell.

Thanks 👍🏼

Yeah it's turned right round... Really happy with it 😎

• Like 2
12 hours ago, banasophia said:

Oh no so sorry. 😢 I know this is probably a sign of me being gullible that I would mention this, but I’ve seen people say they put their fish back in the tank after something like this and sometimes the fish is not dead and is okay. Have you heard of such a thing? Is it just a prank? 

Yeah it had been there a while it was like a crisp 😱 pretty gutted as the six line was so big and bursting with character... Will be missed. 

• Sad 2
2 hours ago, ml86743 said:

You diggin that reef flare?  I've never seen hem before they look pretty sweet.

Yeah man... I have the full ecosystem almost now , flare, dosers, level keepers, power switches.....The full setup.. just waiting on my KH keeper to arrive 

Screenshot_20230216-1843162.thumb.png.89c6b4045d47964073b99e25d289b8a1.png

• Murphs_Reef changed the title to murphs_reef 92G - retired, thanks guys