Coral Vue Hydros

15 minutes ago, Murphych said:

Yeah I could install one but not sure where I would put it, under the sink isn't an option. 

Sometimes it's just a no-go, but (in case it matters) remember that the filter unit can hypothetically go just about anywhere: basement, ceiling, attic...even outside.  Likewise for the reservoir...tubing can be run anywhere.  As long as you can have a reservoir that's at least 10 liters or so, I think it would work out.  Any smaller than that and supposedly the membrane won't work efficiently enough and you end up going through DI resin faster.  $$, but it still filters the water to 0 TDS.

19 minutes ago, Murphych said:

I still have the "carry it home" part. I don't have an RODI installed so have to go and get water to mix. 

Definitely buy pre-mixed saltwater as long as you're carrying it.  (900L is a pretty big tank to carry water for tho.  IMO that's still a short term strategy until the above is sorted out.)

Only buy enough RODI for top off and miscellaneous uses.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh, I didn't see Matt's response on top of this page.  However, here's what I wrote:

On 4/11/2021 at 3:03 PM, Murphych said:

I don't have an RODI installed... not sure where I would put it

IMO, figure that one out.  It could be almost anywhere that there is a drain (think of things like the laundry wash machine or in the utility room).  I've even heard of people that move the RO/DI unit into the tub when they are making water.

Now that I have one, I could never imagine going back to buying distilled water (or relying on the LFS to supply water).  It also turned out that the stores around here had questionable maintenance, as the water often had TDS, nutrients, and even stuff floating in it.  But I really like having water available whenever.  I found myself limiting water changes and even unscheduled maintenance (it was very restrictive and I feel my tanks often suffered because of it).  But, it also has saved me hundreds of dollars since I installed it.

• Like 4
19 minutes ago, seabass said:

I've even heard of people that move the RO/DI unit into the tub when they are making water.

Great example!   Never thought of using a tub.

20 minutes ago, seabass said:

It also turned out that the stores around here had questionable maintenance, as the water often had TDS, nutrients, and even stuff floating in it. 

At times I have questionable maintenance on my home unit too...sometimes for years at a stretch. 🤷‍♂️  0 TDS is better (and ideal) though.  👍

• Like 3
30 minutes ago, seabass said:

But, it also has saved me hundreds of dollars since I installed it.

The up front cost catches folks attention first....$200 is a lot of money on the face of it.  Also maintenance is a little hassle and does cost more money.

But if we take the time to run the math on how much every gallon of product water costs – even factoring in the filter costs – it's really not a lot.  But you DO have to factor in a number of years of service to see the "payoff".  Bigger tanks obviously consume more water, so will see a payoff sooner.  (I think it's usually like a nickel a gallon or something like that...depending on what you pay for tap water.)

I love my RODI system (3 pre- and 1 post-filters; 5-stage) and I'm it's second owner.  👍

• Like 3
Murphs_Reef
1 hour ago, seabass said:

IMO, figure that one out.  It could be almost anywhere that there is a drain 

24 minutes ago, mcarroll said:

I love my RODI system 

Ok ok ok, I'll buy one. It was more about where to put it. But it can go down next to the washing machine... Aka on the cheap side of the water meter.. 

But I won't buy today, maybe tomorrow. Today's purchase was:

1. Marko Dry Rock

2. TMC V2 Auto Top Up (Top Up Compact) System

👍🏼👍🏼

• Like 1
Murphs_Reef
2 hours ago, mcarroll said:

Definitely buy pre-mixed saltwater as long as you're carrying it.  (900L is a pretty big tank to carry water for tho.  IMO that's still a short term strategy until the above is sorted out.)

Ah, as a reminder, it's just under 400 litres. The ReefSpace 900, is 900mm long or 3 foot 👍🏼

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Murphych said:

Ok ok ok, I'll buy one. It was more about where to put it. But it can go down next to the washing machine... Aka on the cheap side of the water meter.. 

But I won't buy today, maybe tomorrow. Today's purchase was:

1. Marko Dry Rock

2. TMC V2 Auto Top Up (Top Up Compact) System

👍🏼👍🏼

I've seen a few people on here and other forums install the RODI unit to a board so that they can store it away while not in use and just using a couple of quick connections to the drain and water feeds. I'm thinking of something similar myself as the only real drains I have is the sink or the shower 

• Like 2
Murphs_Reef

Yeah I have an area beside the washer which is ideal now I come to think about it more.. cold water supply with a drain in an area of the house that's got tile floors so can take a spill. Will have a look for a unit. Any opinions on the TMC V2Pure 50?

On 4/14/2021 at 9:15 AM, Ratvan said:

I've seen a few people on here and other forums install the RODI unit to a board so that they can store it away while not in use and just using a couple of quick connections to the drain and water feeds. I'm thinking of something similar myself as the only real drains I have is the sink or the shower 

Got mine in the garage and run a garden hose to it 👍

• Like 3
Murphs_Reef

And just because Zoas are ace

Kedds Red

IMG_20210417_211251.jpg

Rastas

IMG_20210417_211300.jpg

Radio Active - these guys show how hardy zoas really are. Not long ago they where completely covered in GHA, subjected to black out in the sump extended periods out of water will I picked the GHA off the rock..

IMG_20210417_211320.jpg

• Like 1
awakedॢ
On 4/15/2021 at 10:05 PM, Murphych said:

New just in

IMG_20210415_125447.jpg

Sumps nice N clean after a toothbrushing 

IMG_20210415_131715.jpg

The candies catch my eyes~👀 even though any sweeties not my taste,,,🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Murphs_Reef

Readings Friday 23/04 18:41

Switched to Salifert alkalinity test from API. So reading looks different by 1.4 dKH. NO3 and PO4 up a bit which I like the look of. A little cyano on the sand but no alarm bells.

CURRENT PARAMETERS 

Temp °C: 24.5

NO3 (Salifert): 7.5 ppm

PO4 (Hanna): 0.02 ppm

SG (TMC): 1.026

Alk (Salifert): 9.9 dKH

Ca (Salifert): 450 ppm

Mag (Salifert): 1290 ppm

• Like 2
Murphs_Reef
On 4/20/2021 at 10:55 PM, mylertitchell said:

Very enjoyable to binge on there. Nice bed time treat 😂. Weird seeing another build of my exact tank. 

Yeah it is. I had a look at your build thread. Mad how different the 2 tanks have been built. Loving your sump / pipe work. I missed a trick or 2 there I think!

• Like 1
Murphs_Reef

@seabass a month in from testing on this frag with vibrant and picking out GHA. Remember it was a GHA bush...

Notable coralline algae somehow.. Christ knows how that happened as my tank is pretty coralline free.. not moaning... I like it 

IMG_20210424_202506.jpg

• Like 1

Hmm... that's pretty cool.  I remember when you did that.  It seems like zoanthids are quite resistant to Vibrant.  They held up quite nicely for me when I was dosing.

• Like 2
Murphs_Reef
On 4/24/2021 at 9:01 PM, seabass said:

Hmm... that's pretty cool.  I remember when you did that.  It seems like zoanthids are quite resistant to Vibrant.  They held up quite nicely for me when I was dosing.

I've had no new polyp growth but the existing polyps look fantastic, colour wise they are really strong. Not sure I would test on Rastas or anything upward of £10 a polyp though 🤣 I think this frag cost me about £15 if memory serves..

• Like 2
  • Murphs_Reef changed the title to murphs_reef 92G - retired, thanks guys