Cultivated Reef

17 minutes ago, Murphych said:

So with many thanks to the advice from @seabass @Ratvan @mcarroll the GHA war is a thing of the past and now an updated husbandry has been established.  

I now no longer have any visible GHA. For months I have been looking for the magic cure. Reduce phosphate lower than is good, water change upon water change.  Increase pH, decrease temperature... Bla bla...

There is a magic cure after all. Manual picking and training snails onto the infected areas, it's cheap and it doesn't take anywhere near as long as you might think. 

11th Feb

IMG_20210211_183607.jpg

Today

IMG_20210315_125308.jpg

Looks good, a great improvement. Did the RFG fit by the way?

• Like 1
Murphs_Reef
3 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Looks good, a great improvement. Did the RFG fit by the way?

Thanks 👍🏼 yes it did. Just need to tinker with flow before I leave it on. It's pushing water a little bit close to the rim 🤣

• Haha 1
Murphs_Reef

I just don't know if it's a case of 'keep your enemies closer' or what but the Yellow Clown Goby and the Green Chromis seem to hate each other, always locked into bickering BUT even when resting they are always in the same area of the tank.

They are resting with each other, feed together as well. They literally dont separate from each other. 

This image shows them as far apart as they get. Often the YCG is perching on a rock and the GC is hovering an inch above. But they do spend a great amount big time striking each other.. this has been happening for about 3 days. 

The Chromis has stopped its usual standard swimming pattern and stuck to being where the goby is at all times.... 

IMG_20210318_221211.jpg

Chromis can sometimes be a-holes.  Hopefully they'll work it out amongst themselves.  Watch for any damage which might call for intervention.

• Like 2
Murphs_Reef
18 hours ago, seabass said:

Chromis can sometimes be a-holes.  Hopefully they'll work it out amongst themselves.  Watch for any damage which might call for intervention.

Oh dear it's turned out that it's the goby.. he's tracking right next to the Chromis all the time giving the Chromis the odd head butt. 

• Haha 2
Murphs_Reef

Just for fun I needed more sand, so ended up with a new cleaner shrimp. More GSP and a dusky wrasse (which is currently under the sand bed hidding)

The cleaner has a pal now 

IMG_20210320_133538.jpg

More GSP .. I will stop buying this stuff eventually but this was on a flat square frag plate which was always going to glue lovely to the glass 🤣

IMG_20210320_133553.jpg

• Like 1
Murphs_Reef

Photo bomb

The new wrasse has made itself right at home.

IMG_20210322_151839.jpg

The yellow clown goby at home in the hammer.

IMG_20210322_152129.jpg

This guy is split into 2 now, hard to believe 2 weeks ago you couldn't see this for GHA 

IMG_20210322_152017.jpg

The acan looks amazing after being de-GHA'ed

IMG_20210322_152005.jpg

Cardinal just gently roaming around

IMG_20210322_151923.jpg

Still some strands if GHA on the hornets but 2 new polyp buds pushing up now. They look fantastic under the primes and now it's not a algae ridden rock

IMG_20210322_151807~2.jpg

Almost never get a picture of the firefish but it's slowed right down today for a change. 

IMG_20210322_151938.jpg

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
Murphs_Reef

Latest numbers:

Friday 26/03 09:50

• °C : 24.5
  • NO3: 2.5 ppm
  • PO4: 0.04 ppm
  • SG: 1.025 
  • dKh: 7.5 

Calcium and magnesium test kits ran out so had to order some more.

Need to bring the temperature up maybe 0.5°c

Decided that I'm running the sump to empty it only half fills when the return is off so added another 3 gallons. Turned the pump on and it sits about half full running. 

Murphs_Reef

Frustrating as hell 😂 

Do need to bring the alk up though seems to have been a bit of a bigger uptake in the last couple weeks. No surprise really my Duncan's had 2 more polyps growing away and the hammer now has 3 mouths so looks like that's splitting as well...

Took the temp up 0.5 degree.

NO3 and PO4 are being used up faster than I'm dosing it. 

Sunday 28/03 12:56

°C🌡️: 25 

NO3: 0.0 ppm

PO4: 0.00 ppm

SG: 1.026 

dKh: 7 dKH

GHA is super easy to manage now and is a 10 minute job on sundays to clean up any new growth. 

Have some cyano on the sand and rock with is a little confusing, I'm wondering if flow isn't as good as I thought down there in the deep...

Got myself a TMC Algae Magnet for up to 15mm glass. Works a treat and the glass is lovely now. 👍🏼

IMG_20210328_132408.jpgspan widget

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Murphych said:

GHA is super easy to manage now and is a 10 minute job on sundays to clean up any new growth.

That's great news.  Adding just a few more herbivorous snails might reduce that even further.  But ideally, you'll probably still want there to be enough food (algae) to sustain them.

NO3 and PO4 are being used up faster than I'm dosing it...

NO3: 0.0 ppm

PO4: 0.00 ppm

I'm going to speculate a little here.  I know that we've been discussing the importance of nutrients, and maintaining nutrient levels.  However, if you are dosing nutrients daily, your tank might not necessarily be nutrient deprived.  However, this might quickly change if dosing were to become interrupted (whereas maintaining levels helps assure that your tank has sufficient nutrients).

Have some cyano on the sand and rock with is a little confusing, I'm wondering if flow isn't as good down there

I feel that cyano is generally a sign of excess organics and has less to do with nutrient levels (but maybe sometimes due to a bacterial imbalance).  Obviously flow will help keep detritus (organics) in suspension so that your filters can remove it and to help prevent buildup in low flow areas (which can usually be removed during maintenance).  Organics can also be dissolved in the water, so activated carbon and/or a protein skimmer can help to remove some of these dissolved organics.

As a side note, this cyano might even still be a remnant side effect from your Vibrant dosing.  I'm not sure whether Vibrant dosing increases organics from die off, or if it creates a bacterial imbalance, or both.

• Thanks 1
Murphs_Reef
1 hour ago, seabass said:

That's great news.  Adding just a few more herbivorous snails might reduce that even further.  But ideally, you'll probably still want there to be enough food (algae) to sustain them.

On that one. I thought that myself. So yesterday I went for another 4 turbos. With the amount of glass cleaning in doing I am confident that 4 would be kept busy..this brings me to around 25 (or just over) snails if various types. 👍🏼

Yeah that's a great point regarding the carbon. I did take it out a week or so ago but didn't have any to replace it. I must go get some more.

The skimmer is matched to the tank volume and is pulling a fair amount so that is fine I think. 

• Like 1
Murphs_Reef

First proper water change in this big beast today. 10% isn't far off the full volume of the old nano. This will be interesting as it will be 3 buckets to mix in. With only 1 spare heater.. never really thought this one through 😂

• Haha 1
  • Murphs_Reef changed the title to murphs_reef 92G - retired, thanks guys