SaltCritters.com

10 minutes ago, Grimes said:

Mine has been fine for a month. As soon as I moved it to the new tank it went on the hunt. It might well be that the tank is too clean and there is nothing to feed on between the rock anymore. So if it misses food from when I feed the fish it has nothing to scavenge perhaps? 

Quite possible. 

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Grimes said:

Yep all in DT looking amazing, other that the shocking 😱 fact that @Snow_Phoenix was bang on correct with the green brittle star. Just caught the beast arched up with the firefish under it. Was looking at what it was doing as it started to coil it's legs around it... SUMPED until it can be re homed 

Is he likely have multiple emerald crabs in there for company soon?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
48 minutes ago, Grimes said:

Well a short list of parameters tested this morning. 

Temp 24.5°c (bringing it up to 25)

pH 8.0

Phosphate 0.00

Nitrate 0.0 

Salinity 1.024 

Need to work in these N and P numbers before it gets snotty 

Could you not just dose the skimmate back into the tank to raise those?

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

thats a smart idea, i like it

Only reason is the tank is so empty I don't want to add anything else to it until I learn more about the sump and other elements of running a larger tank, not to mention the amount of cash spent this month 🤣. So thought I could mess about with stuff I already have. 

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, Grimes said:

Should I put a random flow or other type of nozzle on the end out the return or leave open as is? Is there a benefit of either ? The pipe is an inch wide

I suppose that many people want to keep snails out of their return plumbing, so some sort of nozzle is usually used.  I'm currently using a standard Loc-Line nozzle, but you might even consider an eductor (or panductor) nozzle.

IDK about most random flow nozzles.  I sometimes read where they reduce the flow some, and eventually get stuck so the random flow quits until you can service it.  However, here's one that doesn't have moving parts: https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/product-spotlight/random-flow-generator/

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, seabass said:

I suppose that many people want to keep snails out of their return plumbing, so some sort of nozzle is usually used.  I'm currently using a standard Loc-Line nozzle, but you might even consider an eductor (or panductor) nozzle.

IDK about most random flow nozzles.  I sometimes read where they reduce the flow some, and eventually get stuck so the random flow quits until you can service it.  However, here's one that doesn't have moving parts: https://vividcreativeaquatics.com/product-spotlight/random-flow-generator/

That looks good. I just don't know if I need one or not. Currently the TMC is on 10 so only blowing at half its rate and the Nero 3 is on 80% so I have head room. As it's the first time I have had a big return pipe it might just be that I need to reduce the opening? Though I guess more random flow can't hurt. 

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Grimes said:

That looks good. I just don't know if I need one or not. Currently the TMC is on 10 so only blowing at half its rate and the Nero 3 is on 80% so I have head room. As it's the first time I have had a big return pipe it might just be that I need to reduce the opening? Though I guess more random flow can't hurt. 

I have a couple of the 3d printed versions, wasn't sure of the size i needed so have several. My "new" arrives at roughly 2pm today so I'll have a play when it gets here and figure out if its needed or not and pop them in the post if you fancy it?

• Like 2
  • Wow 1
35 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

I have a couple of the 3d printed versions, wasn't sure of the size i needed so have several. My "new" arrives at roughly 2pm today so I'll have a play when it gets here and figure out if its needed or not and pop them in the post if you fancy it?

Yes mate that would be appreciated 👍🏼

• Like 1

Some updated pictures

kedds red and unknown green

IMG_20210227_175532.jpg

Hammer and a bit of monti

IMG_20210227_175503.jpg

Macroalgaes and the main frag of Monti

IMG_20210227_175436.jpg

Some more Monti cap, every time I look at it sideways i snap it so there are bits glued everywhere.

IMG_20210227_175421.jpg

Rastas with some nasties growing between them

IMG_20210227_175410.jpg

My man Duncan, 

IMG_20210227_175546.jpg

• Like 3
1 hour ago, seabass said:

Looks good.

Cheers the macroalgae is growing fast, maybe to fast. I am toying with the idea of a refugium and using the macro in that, just as a side project and to learn, more than the need for it. 

• Like 2

My daughter was captivated by the green Chromis when we went for rock today. So I gave in and let her buy one.. needless to say after some research tonight and because she has a real interest in this fish we are going back tomorrow for 5 more Chromis as well as another 3kg of rock. 

I have a kole on order waiting for a month until I finish tinkering with rockwork also. Then I can put focus back into my passion, coral and critters ,🤩 

on top of these she wants 2 black storm clowns and I want a scooter blenny. I'm going to call that stocked (until I over stock and get a bigger tank 🤣)

That will put me at 12 fish in an 80g .. not bad but sure it will end up a few more....Fu CK I'll be putting an extension on the house soon!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Grimes said:

So I gave in and let her buy one.. needless to say after some research tonight and because she has a real interest in this fish we are going back tomorrow for 5 more Chromis as well as another 3kg of rock.

I know everywhere says to keep them in groups (normally in odd numbers of five or more).  However, they tend to pick on each other until there is only one left.  I'd be inclined to keep just the single chromis.

• Like 2
  • Murphs_Reef changed the title to murphs_reef 92G - retired, thanks guys