Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

• Murphs_Reef changed the title to Reefspace 92gallon

I dont know why folks hate on asterinas I  get them from my lfs and put them in my pico on purpose. I ask you: what scales down better to a one gallon tank weighing fifteen pounds all up vs micro starfish that any child on the planet can recognize

mine never harmed anything whatsoever, gimme ten more in fact. 

• Like 3
Murphs_Reef
3 hours ago, brandon429 said:

I dont know why folks hate on asterinas I  get them from my lfs and put them in my pico on purpose. I ask you: what scales down better to a one gallon tank weighing fifteen pounds all up vs micro starfish that any child on the planet can recognize

mine never harmed anything whatsoever, gimme ten more in fact. 

Yeah I have a lot as well. Never harmed a thing and love seeing them in the DT and Sump 👍🏼

• Like 1
Murphs_Reef
1 hour ago, aclman88 said:

That’s some impressive coralline growth right there!

It gets on my nerves.. to keep the front and side glass panels clean i need to scrape down the glass twice a week... Its in the corners so thick it's hard to get out...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Murph

When you did your deep clean of the sandbed, were you at all concerned with TDS in your rinsing water? And what about killing off of small snails, is there a problem with die off from that?

• Thanks 1
Murphs_Reef
10 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

Hey Murph

When you did your deep clean of the sandbed, were you at all concerned with TDS in your rinsing water? And what about killing off of small snails, is there a problem with die off from that?

Hey, 

Yeah there was a lot of small snails and worms to get killed but I wasnt worried about TDS as I rinsed it at the end of the process in RO to make sure it was clear. 

Its turned out well and now all my coral is doing better than ever, very hard work though. 👍🏼

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Murphs_Reef said:

very hard work though

Yeah, I'm not doing the whole total reboot thing, but I did vacuum quite a bit of sand out so wanted to rinse it well and put it back in. I probably should do  the whole thing as the amount of gunk in the little bit that I took out was incredible. Maybe this summer.

• Like 2
Murphs_Reef
6 hours ago, Pjanssen said:

After your final rinse, was there an odor from the sand? I feel like I'm rinsing and rinsing, and the water is clear, but there is still a bit of a pungent odor.

No it was absent of any real smell. It did take around an hour of constant water over it to get it clean though.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Murphs_Reef

Somethings happened.. cyano and GHA outbreak.. stable parameters reading 0.05 phosphate, 5 nitrate... It's only been 2 days I noticed the increase in cyano and just this morning seen a carpet of GHA around the back of the rock work! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Wow 1
ECLS Reefer
1 hour ago, Murphs_Reef said:

Somethings happened.. cyano and GHA outbreak.. stable parameters reading 0.05 phosphate, 5 nitrate... It's only been 2 days I noticed the increase in cyano and just this morning seen a carpet of GHA around the back of the rock work! 

Your tank sounds like my tank. Moody and capricious. 

• Haha 4
Murphs_Reef
1 hour ago, A.m.P said:

I swear, some algae just don't care what your parameters are. Maybe try to get a bit more flow there?

Did a few weeks back. Swapped the nero3 for another SOW-15... I'll see how it plays out... BUT I miss my Rockwall so much it's a perfect excuse to empty and rescape back to ROCK WALL 🤘

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

Honestly, I think you just need to be patient. You just did a major reboot and your tank is acting a bit like a new tank. Maybe get a couple of magnetic rocks for your back wall and add some wall hammers or something that way. Just my 2 cents. But seriously, where do you find the time for another redo?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

I recommend never, ever allowing a remass

step up gardening, refuse dandelions

if conditions in your home setting and internal tank setting fosters algae and cyano the physical prevention aspect is what gives you the upper hand. Rip cleans are not insulting in any way, they’re regenerative

see 47 pages here, look for harm patterns if any this is a trove of about two million bucks of reefs doing surgery. I estimated the cost of each tank based on before pics to arrive at that guesstimate 

look for patterns or outliers, animal losses vs retention, sustainment of the clean condition # of months and we can discern safety vs harm from the patterns 

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/official-sand-rinse-and-tank-transfer-thread.230281/

when waves crash on a fringing reef in Fiji for ten millennia, that’s a set of well rip cleaned rocks that still grow algae if grazers are removed from the physical control portion.

The reason we rip clean is so that expected follow up work doesn’t spread cloud around the tank, you can lift rocks away to expose the back wall area for cleaning and detritus doesn’t upwell all over the tank, you can attach a razor blade to the end of a common siphon hose and turn off pumps, still the tank, be scraping algae down while the siphon runs which is exporting offending mass, and you could also get another cheap pond sterilizer off Amazon to handle some growback for you by catching it in transition phases when it moves from surface to surface via the water.  I recommend all manner of resolve and absolutely no passiveness when it comes to investment control.

the reason I recommend completely opposite of the common thought on invasions: common thought has had twenty years to get control over common invasions and it can’t. Folks who indeed honestly attained a balance by not battling with invasions aren’t able to commute that same outcome to others, it’s a lark when inaction works to resolve tank invasions. Until the calmer methods come with as many pages of outcomes under control my recommend is to ditch the common method and we should cease repeating actions that take our investments away in many cases. I’m not bucking the system just to pick on it, their cure rates are like 2% likely when ran for other’s systems. The advice comes from non acceptance of the current tank loss rates. We literally have the ability to own invasionless systems, everyone does.

all common methods of control should be applied in the completely uninvaded condition that we caused by hand work. What do the masses do? Allow wreckage, avoid work, and hope with fingers crossed a given method both removes their current invasion and prevents future ones. That way isn’t working in the hobby as a whole but I agree it can work for a minority of keepers who are simply adept and potentially a little lucky at invasion control, in their own tanks

• Like 1
  • Murphs_Reef changed the title to murphs_reef 92G - retired, thanks guys