Cultivated Reef

Started February 2021 

PXL_20230315_184032222.thumb.jpg.191c8a07c8aa2cdf29abf5ef3cdf987d.jpg

Full tank shot March 2023

PXL_20211230_140801931.thumb.jpg.3b189a7423b1342b84b82c9a1adea9f2.jpg

Full tank shot December 2021

Welcome to the build thread for my Reefspace 900 Deluxe. If you're interested the journey actually started in my nano thread HERE

This tank has been initially stocked with rock and inhabitants from my nano 15g which was around 8 months old, and is now dry.

The tank is a clearseal Reefspace 900 Deluxe

Reef Factory products managing the reef: 

• ReefFlare Pro L light 

• KH Keeper 

• Single Dosing Pump

• Thermo Control

• Smart Feeder 

• Level sensor 

• Power Switcher 

Tropical marine centre

• TMC Reef Pump

• TMC Algae Magnet Glass Cleaner large 

The aquarium solution

• D-D Jump Guard

• Auto Top Up 

• 3 x P1 doser

Dosing Reef Zlements 

• pHplus 2 part dosing system

• Nutrient Control: NitroPlus, PhosPlus 

• AminoPlus

• Macro and Trace elements: Strontium, Boron Iodine, Iron, Vanadium, Molybdenum, Barium, Manganese and Magnesium 

Water Testing

• Hanna instruments alkalinity and phosphate checkers

• Salifert  Magnesium, Nitrate

• Reef Factory calcium

Fish 

• 2 Amphiprion Ocellaris Clownfish 
  • 2 Lyretail Anthias (Pseudanthias squamipinnis)
  • 8 Green Chromis (Chromis Sp)
  • Fox Face (Siganus Vulpinus)
  • Aiptasia Eating Filefish (Acreichthys tomentosus)
  • Royal Gramma Basslet (Gramma loreto)
  • Banggai cardinalfish (Pterapogon kauderni)

Cheers @Murphych 

Edited by Murphs_Reef
  • Like 8

Cheers mate. Well I think/hope it's dialed in now lol. It was fine until I added a handful of rubble rocks to the sump.. and the system went off balance again. I'm now running with a trickle from the emergency overflow, but I have lost patience at the moment so it's fine for now. 

I have a feeling that until all the rock is in place it will need reworking anyway so just accepted it for now 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Ratvan said:

So when you add the rocks is she  you'll do a water change? Or just going to take a load out, dump in the rocks and add the water back in?

Yeah I'll pull out 50 litres of water then Scape and put water back. No idea how as I have to tip toe to get my hand to the bottom of THE FRONT of the tank. Armpit deep 🤣🤣 don't fancy trying to use a step ladder. I'll end up swimming 😅

• Haha 2
12 hours ago, Grimes said:

Yeah I'll pull out 50 litres of water then Scape and put water back. No idea how as I have to tip toe to get my hand to the bottom of THE FRONT of the tank. Armpit deep 🤣🤣 don't fancy trying to use a step ladder. I'll end up swimming 😅

set a camera up mate, you've missed too many chances at £250 already this year... 

• Haha 2

I'm having no end of trouble balancing the overflow and return. I have left it as a decent trickle at the moment but the sound is killing me slowly. It surely can't be that hard to match the output to the input. But it is!!!

So far so good. But since I dumped the rock n life from a 15 gal into an 80.... There is zero phosphate or nitrate, so doing a little overfeeding of frozen cube for the fish and tropic marin coral python for the coral. 

Skimmer is on but low 

• Like 2
On 2/20/2021 at 1:17 PM, Grimes said:

I'm having no end of trouble balancing the overflow and return. I have left it as a decent trickle at the moment but the sound is killing me slowly. It surely can't be that hard to match the output to the input. But it is!!!

I feel your pain. 

• Like 2

We have balance. It's been running with a dry emergency drain since this time yesterday! 

Next up is to get more rock... I mean MORE rock. But will leave a few weeks until I can count phosphate and nitrate. At the moment I can't detect so going a little heavy on feeding. Daily testing for now.

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, Grimes said:

We have balance. It's been running with a dry emergency drain since this time yesterday! 

Next up is to get more rock... I mean MORE rock. But will leave a few weeks until I can count phosphate and nitrate. At the moment I can't detect so going a little heavy on feeding. Daily testing for now.

Yay, and you have it all to look forwards to again when you add the new rock lol

• Haha 1

Pain in the ass stuff this is lol. Had the guy from the LFS up to help in the end. Had to glue the overflow pipe to the valve as there was a weep I didn't see... 

Can't wait to get the new rock in...   Time for a photo bomb 

Rastas loving life

IMG_20210223_110552.jpg

Acan opening up

IMG_20210223_110536.jpg

They don't look like small trees under the primes 

IMG_20210223_110515.jpg

Duncan and hornets 

IMG_20210223_110455.jpg

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Grimes said:

Pain in the ass stuff this is lol. Had the guy from the LFS up to help in the end. Had to glue the overflow pipe to the valve as there was a weep I didn't see... 

Can't wait to get the new rock in...   Time for a photo bomb 

IMG_20210223_110552.jpg

IMG_20210223_110536.jpg

IMG_20210223_110515.jpg

IMG_20210223_110455.jpg

Coral is all looking happy and healthy, is this all in the DT now?

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Ratvan said:

Coral is all looking happy and healthy, is this all in the DT now?

Yep all in DT looking amazing, other that the shocking 😱 fact that @Snow_Phoenix was bang on correct with the green brittle star. Just caught the beast arched up with the firefish under it. Was looking at what it was doing as it started to coil it's legs around it... SUMPED until it can be re homed 

• Haha 1
  • Wow 2
11 hours ago, Grimes said:

Yep all in DT looking amazing, other that the shocking 😱 fact that @Snow_Phoenix was bang on correct with the green brittle star. Just caught the beast arched up with the firefish under it. Was looking at what it was doing as it started to coil it's legs around it... SUMPED until it can be re homed 

Sorry to hear about the firefish. But yes, green brittle stars are predatory. If you still want a brittle star or something similar like a serpent star, you could try scouring online sites for a chocolate banded serpent star (like the one that I have). They're quite peaceful and don't attack smaller fish. Mine lives in the same cave with my circus barred goby, and has been a model citizen so far. I do feed the tank heavily everyday though, so it does get a decent amount of food. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

Sorry to hear about the firefish. But yes, green brittle stars are predatory. If you still want a brittle star or something similar like a serpent star, you could try scouring online sites for a chocolate banded serpent star (like the one that I have). They're quite peaceful and don't attack smaller fish. Mine lives in the same cave with my circus barred goby, and has been a model citizen so far. I do feed the tank heavily everyday though, so it does get a decent amount of food. 

Mine has been fine for a month. As soon as I moved it to the new tank it went on the hunt. It might well be that the tank is too clean and there is nothing to feed on between the rock anymore. So if it misses food from when I feed the fish it has nothing to scavenge perhaps? 

• Like 3
  • Murphs_Reef changed the title to murphs_reef 92G - retired, thanks guys