Cultivated Reef

Is my live rock dead? (Photos attached)

Kropa008

Hello, I have very regrettably neglected my fish tank after a big move for a year and I'm finally settled in and ready to get it back to its former glory. I have not been doing my usual amount of water changes and I understand the tank is in rough shape. All the equipment has been running, but my pump just died last week so the only water flow the rock is getting is from the magnet propeller things (forget what they are called). The tank still houses a Dotty back and 2 clowns. What do I need to do to get this tank back to proper working order besides a lot of water changes? Is this live rock still alive? Do I need to buy new ones? Should I scrub the algae from the rocks? What to do with  Filter media in the sump? Please help

97667F9F-9BEA-4357-90C4-1CB36C21D97E.jpeg

6E6C4A41-39AD-48F1-8686-62BD829FB621.jpeg

FA4FA92F-6F40-4629-9A9B-DA4A85E267DA.jpeg

ACBADDF8-709C-419E-8A0D-6E31CAC73193.jpeg

A5B10DC2-0FE1-4B95-B8E5-CCD0CF426B58.jpeg

• Like 1
jefferythewind

Yeah the rocks are fine. I got a couple small rocks from a tank way worse than yours and they had a lot of life in them once i got them to my tank. I think you mainly just need more flow, a light and water changes like you said. 

• Like 1

It is still alive. I kept some spare live rock in a dark bin with a powerhead in the basement and it probably got into the 60's in winter, maybe colder. The rock was totally fine and I even found a live predatory snail, hydroids, and plenty of asterina starfish that were living on bacterial film. The salinity was 1.038 😛 Most people consider all of those pests soooo ya they are definitely not easy to kill. 

Bacteria are even more hardy.

It is alive - for sure!  

I had same thing with my tank for over a year and a half when it was basically "dark."  All I did was top off with tap water and kept filter and heater running.  My son was very little at the time and I just didn't have time to maintain the tank, but I didn't want to break it down.  It has been set up for over 10 years up to that point and is now in awesome shape.  

Good rock like that, you even have some coralline algae going, will last a really long time even if you aren't dosing much (or at all) and still offer a great rebuilding point for when you get the tank up and running officially/fully again.  

Good luck!