ReefCleaners.org

Unhappy zoas?

RyanReef

Are these zoas pissed? They have been in my tank for a week now. Everr since I put them in they've been stretched so I don't know if I should move them up higher in the tank or what. Other than stretching they've been opened and seem fine but now I noticed some of them are starting to actually point downwards... one is even underneath the rock now.

My tank is only a few weeks old. Ammonia is at zero, nitrites are at zero, nitrates are around 10. Temperature is 78. I just have the lights that came with the AIO setup, so nothing special. The blues are on from 9:00 a.m. until 11:00 p.m. and the whites from 10 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

They are currently about middle of the tank and get very low flow.

20210216_173607.jpg

20210216_173547.jpg

7 hours ago, RyanReef said:

Are these zoas pissed? They have been in my tank for a week now. Everr since I put them in they've been stretched so I don't know if I should move them up higher in the tank or what. Other than stretching they've been opened and seem fine but now I noticed some of them are starting to actually point downwards... one is even underneath the rock now.

My tank is only a few weeks old. Ammonia is at zero, nitrites are at zero, nitrates are around 10. Temperature is 78. I just have the lights that came with the AIO setup, so nothing special. The blues are on from 9:00 a.m. until 11:00 p.m. and the whites from 10 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

They are currently about middle of the tank and get very low flow.

20210216_173607.jpg

20210216_173547.jpg

They look like they are stretching for light. I'm not familiar with your tank's light setup. How powerful is it? 

Also, you might want to cut back on your general light schedule. Keeping lights on for up to 14 hours a day seems a bit too much (referring to your blues). I keep mine on (over my nano) for no more than 9 hours a day.  

2 hours ago, Snow_Phoenix said:

They look like they are stretching for light. I'm not familiar with your tank's light setup. How powerful is it? 

Also, you might want to cut back on your general light schedule. Keeping lights on for up to 14 hours a day seems a bit too much (referring to your blues). I keep mine on (over my nano) for no more than 9 hours a day.  

I actually don't know how powerful my lights are. It is a Aquatop Recife AIO 24 gallon. Thanks for the tip on the blues. I actually wasn't sure how much light I should be giving.

Yup they are unhappy.. the tank is very young and going through it's natural cycle.   I would slow down a little bit, feed the clownfish sparingly..  you want to avoid an ammonia spike. Maybe do a 20 % water change to be on the safe side. 

How about some more info on the tank

Did you use live rock?

Salinity? 

Do you have a cuc?

As far as the zoas go.. they take a while to adapt to a new tank ,sometimes weeks or months.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jambon said:

Yup they are unhappy.. the tank is very young and going through it's natural cycle.   I would slow down a little bit, feed the clownfish sparingly..  you want to avoid an ammonia spike. Maybe do a 20 % water change to be on the safe side. 

How about some more info on the tank

Did you use live rock?

Salinity? 

Do you have a cuc?

As far as the zoas go.. they take a while to adapt to a new tank ,sometimes weeks or months.

Thanks for the feedback. I did a 10% water change 3 days ago. I'll do another one tomorrow maybe.

My salinity stays between 35.5 and 36 PPT. I don't have an ATO yet, so I add RODI when needed. The tank is only 24 gallons (so really maybe 16 in actual water) and has a glass top, so I don't loose a ton to evaporation. (more than I thought I would though)

I did not use live rock. I have just the cheap Marco Reef Saver rocks. I used Caribsea Arag-Alive sand.

For the CUC I currently just have 3 tiny blue-leg hermits. They actually went in the same time as the Zoas. I also have a small hammer frag in the sandbed and he seems to be doing fine, so far. I did dip the corals that I purchases also. 

Should I just feed the clownfish every other day?

Daily feeding is ok.. but whatever they can consume in a minute or so.. you will need some snails soon enough, when it starts you will have algae to control.

This is good spot to learn 

13 minutes ago, jambon said:

Daily feeding is ok.. but whatever they can consume in a minute or so.. you will need some snails soon enough, when it starts you will have algae to control.

This is good spot to learn 

Yeah don't have much algae yet, so I was holding off on any snails.