inTank Media Baskets

How do I control these LED's

nanoscott22

So, 

I am a total noob and clearly need help. I have done some research over the past few months and really got cold feet when I saw how expensive taking the "splash" into keeping a nano tank would be. I found a great deal on FB marketplace, it included a 10g IM tank and stand, IM Skkye 18W LED Light, ecoxotic one touch controller (??), and what looks like the stock return pump, media basket, 25W thermometer, another pump of some type that I have no idea what it is, and a bunch of chemicals etc. My biggest questions is what is a controller and what all is coming out of it? I can't tell if I need all of this or just need to buy a new light and start over. The lights came with a remote, however I need to get a new battery because it does't respond. When I plug them in they do turn on but in terms of settings I am lost. What is the benefit to using the controller? Also what are some other must have equipment items I should consider? I am planning to start cycling with what came with it but want to upgrade over time! Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

Best,

Scott 

63484101573__86E9311D-0D08-4762-ABE3-1DCFA4AD570F.jpeg

63484105869__5AF5A0F8-AF08-47C6-969A-DB78442B7EF0.jpeg

63484098866__B8413F50-D28B-4FED-B1E8-A5788B8EF015.jpeg

63484092327__6385BEFA-CE7A-4E0F-97EC-7673FD7C5726.jpeg

There's not much controllability with that light on its own. It was a very basic light.

Is the controller for the light because it didn't come with one.

that might be what they were using the controller for to create sunrise/sunset/chsnge percentages of white and blue leds.

The light is discontinued, its from 2014. 

The heater and return pump probably will need upgrading. The original return pump is pretty weak.

You want a reliable heater. Number 1 piece of equioment to fail 

The rocks in the bucket- look like freshwater rocks. 

Not sure about all the chemicals, can't read whats on the labels.

The sand, if the bag has been opened, thoroughly wash it.

Exoexotic is a different brand of light then the Skkye so not sure what is up with that. Maybe it was left over from a old lighting system? I don't believe that remote is for the Skkye light either but was for the Exoexotic lights perhaps. I do not think Skkye is controllable. It would need to be plugged into a timer to turn on and off. 

I would just upgrade the lights. There are affordable options for a IM10g depending what you plan to keep. You can use the Skkye to get started, even though it is old, I would assume it can still grow soft corals. 

Also the tank should NOT hang off the stand like that!! way to much space. If that is the stand, you can add a new board attached to the top so the entire tank is supported. 

3 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Exoexotic is a different brand of light then the Skkye so not sure what is up with that. Maybe it was left over from a old lighting system? I don't believe that remote is for the Skkye light either but was for the Exoexotic lights perhaps. I do not think Skkye is controllable. It would need to be plugged into a timer to turn on and off. 

I would just upgrade the lights. There are affordable options for a IM10g depending what you plan to keep. You can use the Skkye to get started, even though it is old, I would assume it can still grow soft corals. 

Also the tank should NOT hang off the stand like that!! way to much space. If that is the stand, you can add a new board attached to the top so the entire tank is supported. 

I didn't even notice the tank hanging off the stand! 

Good catch. 

Definitely something that needs fixing.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Clown79 said:

There's not much controllability with that light on its own. It was a very basic light.

Is the controller for the light because it didn't come with one.

that might be what they were using the controller for to create sunrise/sunset/chsnge percentages of white and blue leds.

The light is discontinued, its from 2014. 

The heater and return pump probably will need upgrading. The original return pump is pretty weak.

You want a reliable heater. Number 1 piece of equioment to fail 

The rocks in the bucket- look like freshwater rocks. 

Not sure about all the chemicals, can't read whats on the labels.

The sand, if the bag has been opened, thoroughly wash it.

Am I ok to purchase live rock, sand and water and start cycling with the current lights heat and pump? Or would you recommend holding off until I can purchase all of these things at once? I am planning to upgrade all of these things over the next couple of months. 

The controller does seem to be for the light, I figured out that the remote was dead, I replaced the battery and now I can use it to control exactly what you mentioned. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Tamberav said:

Definitely a good catch on the stand. I have a set of drawers this is already sitting on, gonna toss the stand but it came with everything else. In terms of the lighting, how important is the light for starting a tank. I want to start as a FOWLR set up and slowly add beginner corals (zoas). Just want to make sure I'm starting off with a solid plan before moving forward!

3 hours ago, nanoscott22 said:

Definitely a good catch on the stand. I have a set of drawers this is already sitting on, gonna toss the stand but it came with everything else. In terms of the lighting, how important is the light for starting a tank. I want to start as a FOWLR set up and slowly add beginner corals (zoas). Just want to make sure I'm starting off with a solid plan before moving forward!

You can start with that light. FOWLR can use any light and that Skkye can probably support zoa's if it still working good. I think people used them for softies before. 

I would consider flow more important to upgrade then light at this point. A return pump and/or a wavemaker. It will help keep the rocks cleaner and such. 

Just now, Tamberav said:

You can start with that light. FOWLR can use any light and that Skkye can probably support zoa's if it still working good. I think people used them for softies before. 

Perfect, that will at least get me up and going with minimal cost! I will plan to try the stock pump and heater that came with it as well. This is probably a dumb question but here we go. Do I just add sand, live rock, and premixed SW, plug everything in and let it run? Can I test the pumps out somehow without damaging them first? 

21 minutes ago, nanoscott22 said:

Perfect, that will at least get me up and going with minimal cost! I will plan to try the stock pump and heater that came with it as well. This is probably a dumb question but here we go. Do I just add sand, live rock, and premixed SW, plug everything in and let it run? Can I test the pumps out somehow without damaging them first? 

Fill it with freshwater (tap is fine) to run a leak/equipment test. Some people run it for a day and some a week. Just depends how long you want to test it for. Then drain and you can add sand/rock/saltwater. Then it needs to cycle. If you use dry rock you need to dose ammonia or add a little fish food to rot. You can also add biospira to speed the cycle up. If you use live rock then you don't dose ammonia and it should cycle on its own. Very good live rock sometimes skips the cycle. 

Heaters are the biggest point of failure... if they get stuck 'on' they cook everything. So it is always a good idea to keep a close eye on them. 

3 minutes ago, Tamberav said:

Fill it with freshwater (tap is fine) to run a leak/equipment test. Some people run it for a day and some a week. Just depends how long you want to test it for. Then drain and you can add sand/rock/saltwater. Then it needs to cycle. If you use dry rock you need to dose ammonia or add a little fish food to rot. You can also add biospira to speed the cycle up. If you use live rock then you don't dose ammonia and it should cycle on its own. Very good live rock sometimes skips the cycle. 

Heaters are the biggest point of failure... if they get stuck 'on' they cook everything. So it is always a good idea to keep a close eye on them. 

So helpful, didn't know if tap water would ruin everything or not! I am excited to run the leak test tonight and go from there!

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, nanoscott22 said:

So helpful, didn't know if tap water would ruin everything or not! I am excited to run the leak test tonight and go from there!

Nope... it's not enough tap to mater. Many people rinse equipment and filter media in tap. 

Welcome to the addiction!

On 2/15/2021 at 11:02 AM, nanoscott22 said:

I have done some research over the past few months and really got cold feet when I saw how expensive taking the "splash" into keeping a nano tank would be.

Perfect time for research!

What books have to gotten into so far?

• 2 weeks later...

That remote and the controller are for ecoxotic stunner strips. Relatively low wattage LED strip lights used mainly as supplemental lighting.

I have the same remote still sitting in my desk drawer from what I had them once upon a time.