Pod Your Reef

Is my anemone dying or dead?

Hela

2 hours ago, mcarroll said:

I would say "No."

Can you tell us about your tank and it's recent history, including water test results?

I did a mistake buying an anemone since my tank was only 3 months old. I didn't know it had to be at least 1 year to put anemone in a tank. However the water chemistry was good, the first 2 to 3 days the anemone was healthy however it was changing its place always. Yesterday it looked weird and kind of shrinked the tentacles are hanging always like theyre dead.  

Also, what kind of lighting is it under?  They need decent intensity reef lighting.  And have you tried to feed it anything (like a few thawed mysis shrimp)?  Depending on the lighting, the presence of fish in your tank, the amount of stray food, and if the anemone is hosting a clownfish, you might have to feed it a little a few times a week.

The one year guideline (some say six months) is often more to get new reefers some experience.  But it's also so that you aren't subjecting the anemone to the ugly stages of a new reef; although people often state this as tank maturity.  Along with "maturity" usually comes biodiversity (which offers the anemone more feeding options and opportunities).  Stability (in setup, maintenance, and water parameters) is another reason for the recommendation.

However, depending on the circumstances, an experienced reefer can keep a host anemone much earlier than a year, or even six months.  However, host anemones usually aren't the best addition for a beginner, even in seemingly ideal water quality.  Your anemone isn't dead, but it sounds like it is unhappy.  As stated by the others, we need more information.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...