Cultivated Reef

New nano set up pest?

Tferr9599

Hello, I am new to this forum, and new to nano reefing in general. I’ve just recently finished setting up a new tank that is still in the process of cycling. It’s been running for about four weeks, I have not put any fish or corals in it yet, the only thing I’ve put in it is live rock from my LFS. Yet somehow I am getting this odd brown growth (which I am guessing is some form of algae?), that is now covering a lot of the sand and rock (which started out totally white) See pictures. Any idea what that is?? Cant be ammonia related. Also, just found found the critter in the second pic, he must have hitch-hiked in the live rock. Looks like a tiny snail without a shell but dont really know. Ok to leave in, or should I get rid of it? 

Thank you in advance!

368FFD78-6B34-486C-AF4E-D518B4397965.jpeg

B2BF39F1-80DD-4C52-9DB7-6A1840A6FB85.jpeg

That brown stuff is diatoms.  When you start up a new system it is usually full of silcates from the rock and new sand. Once the diatoms use up the silcates the brown will go away assuming you use clean rodi for your water changes.  

Does that critter have a little flat shell on it and move fairly quick? Looks like a stomata snail to me and they are harmless.  Google it to compare photos. 

Happy reefing🍻

Yeah, that's diatoms. It, and other algae, is normal on fresh new rock. Since your rock is white, it's going to have a lot of algae on it for awhile- read up on the "ugly stage". 

Are you sure that's live rock? The stomatella would seem to indicate so, but that rock is incredibly white. Live rock should have some color. Ocean rock shouldn't have any white at all. That looks more like dry rock.

My Dead rock + painted LR is starting to go through same process about 2 weeks in.  Getting brown spots that look like your picture.  I expect it will spread over time like yours and it's a normal part of the process.  

Enjoy process

2 hours ago, FISHnChix said:

That brown stuff is diatoms.  When you start up a new system it is usually full of silcates from the rock and new sand. Once the diatoms use up the silcates the brown will go away assuming you use clean rodi for your water changes.  

Does that critter have a little flat shell on it and move fairly quick? Looks like a stomata snail to me and they are harmless.  Google it to compare photos. 

Happy reefing🍻

Thanks for your help!  I hadn’t noticed a shell before, but I googled some pictures and I think you’re spot on with the stomata snail. 

1 hour ago, Tired said:

Yeah, that's diatoms. It, and other algae, is normal on fresh new rock. Since your rock is white, it's going to have a lot of algae on it for awhile- read up on the "ugly stage". 

Are you sure that's live rock? The stomatella would seem to indicate so, but that rock is incredibly white. Live rock should have some color. Ocean rock shouldn't have any white at all. That looks more like dry rock.

Thanks!! I agree that the stomatella would indicate it is live, but you’re right, it was incredibly white to begin with. I’m guessing now that it was dry rock not long before I bought it, and the LFS may have started mixing it with their established live rock to make more “live rock”?  Is that possible? I’m not sure how they normally do it

That may have been what they did. It would technically make you live rock, but not the best rock. You'd get rock that would have bacteria, algae, and maybe a few critters on it. It isn't nearly mature enough- it should have been left until it was covered in algae, with some coraline starting, to be sure it was decently mature.

The best live rock comes from the ocean. Dry rock is put out in the ocean for a few years, then taken back out, and will be absolutely covered in life. Technically, "live rock" means any rock with appropriate bacteria on it, but ocean live rock is much better than "was put in water for a bit" rock. 

13 minutes ago, Tired said:

it should have been left until it was covered in algae, with some coraline starting, to be sure it was decently mature.

LFS business is retailer, not a cultivator of Live Rock. If a customer comes in and needs some live rock, Retail is about turning over inventory to pay the rent, electricity for coral lights, heat the place, overhead and a bit left over to support the owner.  They will sell their inventory.

Can't really fault them for that.  Just have to figure it into your relationship and decision of what / when to buy.  I got some Painted rock the same way.  Not my ideal choice.  It was arrived at store and 2 days later it was in my tank.  I bought 3.5 lbs.  I had the option of buying a 45 pound box shipped to my  home / thrown in tank with circulation pump, but I got the best I could at the time I was looking.  

Did I want painted LR.  Not really. But it got my first tank started so I can start learning the new hobby.