Pod Your Reef

Jawfish Injury

ISUAquatics

My jawfish lower lip seems to be cut up. Will it recover? He's still eating, working on a burrow (with some troubles) and moving around.

So recently I added a Yellow Head jawfish, Yellow Watchman Goby, and Tiger Pistol Shrimp into my system. I've researched reviews stating the combo could work well as different burrows would be set up. However, I didn't realize one should be added first, I added them all at the same time to eliminate aggression issues. All went well for the first few days. Different burrows, all came out to eat. And then all of a sudden, I noticed my jawfish was in the burrow my goby/shrimp made. Stayed that way for a couple days, no troubles. Then a day came and the jawfish was in a different spot. I noticed his mouth looked a bit messed up. It's almost as if his lower lip is cut up and can't fully close because of the cut. I'm worried about him. He's made a new burrow and has been eating, but he's having trouble with his jaw because of the injury. 

I should also note that my Watchman Goby has been out swimming around the bottom of my tank. I haven't seen any new excavations from the shrimp burrow, and the usual tunnels that are opened and closed every morning and night have remained closed. Has the shrimp by chance passed from a potential falling out? Or just making different tunnel routes?

Quick update. Jawfish is eating well, but his mouth is definitely damaged. I have also found the pistol shrimp, he has started digging a new burrow, of course closer to the Jawfish than his last. Is this something that will continue to be an issue in terms of them invading burrows?

More info!  Tank size, sand depth, sand type, pic if possible (of the fish and the tank), list of inhabitants, water parameters if posible, and any other relevant information.

Since those are similar shaped fish I wouldn't be surprised if they got into a scuffle.  Sometimes they work themselves out but not always.  Observe very carefully for changes in the situation.  Is there any damage to the goby?  Did you hear the shrimp snapping at all?  It's also very possible that the jawfish ventured into the goby/shrimp den and got effed up that way.

Sand depth as well as substrate type is important also.  they can injure themselves on too course or large of substrate.

It seems to me that if your tank is classified in the "nano" category then there's not enough room for this particular trio.  Do you have the ability to set up a hospital tank?  If the injury on the jawfish gets worse it may not be a bad idea to treat it with some antibiotics.  Sometimes injuries can get infected and kill the fish.

• Like 1

I apologize! It's a 20 gallon long. Originally was going to keep the Goby/shrimp in a separate nano system I have set up, but dug in and read that the trio has worked in a long system. I do have a 40 gallon breeder I purchased, but due to incoming moves have not set it up yet. The parameters are as follow Ammonia: 0, Nitrites: 0, Nitrates:10, pH: 8.0, Salinity: 1.026.  Tank mates are a Tailspot Blenny and baby Neon Blue Goby. Substrate is Caribsea Aragonite, and the sand bed is approximately 3 inches deep.  

Here are a couple photos. I apologise for the quality. I have a video but can't seem to upload it. I feel bad. I introduced him with confidence and fear I made a mistake. He's not shy, comes out to eat and inspect the tank. Doesn't seem to quarrel with the goby if they get close. 

Snapchat-1329732812.jpg

Snapchat-2092063012.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry I can't really tell much from the pics.  The quality isn't bad, just not enough detail to tell what's going on.  The jaw area does look off, just can't tell how. 

So if it's eating and still going about it's day then I think it will heal given time.  Depending on the severity it may not heal entirely, but you don't want an open wound of any type for very long as that could end up infected.   So keep a close eye for now and try to observe frequently.