Ocean_dreamer89

Ocean_dreamer89's Red Sea Reefer 250

Ocean_dreamer89

Little update on the QT process.  Noticed some algae growth in the tank which I thought was odd.  It only had water and a fish in it for 24 hours-ish this morning.  I only have the tank light on when I'm trying to feed.  I then remove excess food and flip off the light.  No windows in the room so I leave the room light on during the day and flip it off at night before I go to bed.  If it gets worse I'll knock out a WC.  I just hate using more water than I'm already having to with the TTM! Oh well.  (OAN: I'm working on a plan to organize my RODI and water mixing better.  I'll update when I have a more concrete plan and start on it.)

Anyway, I was at my local reef club meeting yesterday and while I was there I picked up a Toxic Green Hammer and won this sweet little Rhodactis Mushroom.  I think it is an Ultra Orange but I'm not totally sure.  I was working yesterday so the LFS held it for me until I could pick it up today.  While I was out and about I swung by another LFS that I had a gift card that my sweet husband got me for Valentine's day.  Saw this Rainbow Trachy and nabbed it!  The new corals have been dipped and acclimated to the Biocube for now until the RSR 250 is ready for corals.

IMG_0699.thumb.jpg.3fa37d9e57691c003f1b8be52846f9ff.jpg  IMG_0700.thumb.jpg.1fce3ab387514cf24eda8ca1974e7eec.jpg

IMG_0701.thumb.JPG.868a066c42bf4fede641efe7fdb3f034.JPG

The last purchase was one that I had to do some debating about.  Yesterday while I was at the meeting, I saw this really cool Melanurus wrasse.  When I went back today, it was still there.  I really liked this fish and so did my husband (he pointed it out to me before I had even told him about it).  I discussed this with the guy at the LFS, who had been helping me out with my Coral Beauty and he said that I should be fine it I just do one more transfer for the quarantine period.  At the end of the day, this only adds two more days and one more transfer, so I decided to go for it.  When I got home, I added a bit of sand for it to sleep in a small container and acclimated it.  So far it seems to be doing well and last I checked was fast asleep in the sand.  I'm hoping that maybe a bit of competition will encourage the Coral Beauty to eat tomorrow.  I'll keep everyone updated.  The plan for the TTM remains the same with the next transfer on Tuesday morning.  This is only 40 is hours for the wrasse but will keep the timeline for the Coral Beauty.  The quarantine will continue as planned through the 12th and let transfer on the 13th completing a full four transfers for the wrasse.

IMG_0692.thumb.jpg.14294f2264a2e5437467c6e6bf91cba6.jpg  IMG_0691.thumb.jpg.c5277c3809dc47483eca964cf2da4608.jpg

I know I've said it before, but I feel very comfortable where I'm at the with the new additions.  The gift card had an expiration date that I needed to use it by and I'm unable to make most of the reef club meetings due to my work schedule.  Where I'm at now will be the total of new additions to the new tank, of course in a controlled manner.  My plan for quarantine is what I believe pretty solid at this point and my only real concern is ammonia levels, which is manageable so I'll just keep it an eye on it.

Ocean_dreamer89

Has anyone used those cheap-o brine shrimp hatcheries?  The thing is legit! Added some eggs last night to it and just checked on it tonight for the hell of it and saw a TON of them swimming around.  Everybody got a good snack tonight 😎

IMG_0705.thumb.jpg.1c07c4e84ed526046cf6531e714f38aa.jpg   IMG_0704.thumb.jpg.24709290315a4ce9b7667c69135c9f07.jpg

Ocean_dreamer89

Quick little update on the little guys in quarantine.  This morning was tank transfer #1 for the wrasse and #2 for the coral beauty.  I had to go to work earlier than usual this morning, so I got the sanitized bucket and equipment ready last night and added in some water.  This morning when I was checking the salinity, I realized I forgot to plug in the heater for the new water! 😖 I plugged it in and gathered two extra heaters to get it up to temp faster.  

Today was my first attempt at the hybrid TTM, which includes a H2O2 bath on transfers 1 and 3.  I grabbed a large bowl and filled it up with 12 cups of water.  I had planned on using clean oxygenated water from the bucket, but since I had forgot the heater last night I couldn't do that.  I ended up using 4 cups of the clean water and the rest from the tank the fish were currently in.  This way it would cut down on any ammonia that was already in their tank water but still keep the temperature.  For the bath, it's a concentration of 150 ppm H2O2.  Based on Humblefish's site, this would equal out to 1.25 mL of H2O2 per one cup of water.  Once the well-oxygenated water is in the bowl, I added the H2O2 by sticking the syringe under the surface of the water.  The goal is to have very minimal surface agitation once the hydrogen peroxide is in so that it doesn't convert to just oxygen and water. I then added the fish in for 30 minutes.  Towards the end of the bath, I could tell they were starting to breath pretty rapidly.  I guessing that this is due to the water being depleted of oxygen.  Anyway, once the bath was done, I picked them up by hand and got them into the clean bucket and water.

After I rinsed off all the used equipment and set it up to dry, I went to work.  I just got home a little bit ago and the fish seem to be doing great!  The Coral Beauty is actually swimming around more than it has ever since it acted funny with the cloudy eye.  The bowl I had used for the bath was a light green kitchen bowl so it was difficult to see if anything came off the fish while they were in.  So I grabbed a dark red bowl and started to scoop the water out to see if I could find anything.  Definitely not my expertise, but I believe I saw 3-4 worms or flukes.  A few were reddish/pink in color and one was white and kind of flat.  Anyway, I think it was successful and as of right now, I plan on continuing this path with the baths.

I'll try to get some pictures of them later tonight.