Innovative Marine Aquariums

2 Gallon Crookie Jar

Crookies

Hey everyone! Before I get started I just want to let everyone know that I am new to the saltwater hobby so if you have any tips/tricks or feedback to provide, please do so! 👍 

This idea of starting a pico reef jar came from a post that I saw on reddit awhile back and thought it was fascinating. I sit at my desk a lot because of college (online now cause of COVID :sideeyes:) and figured a pico jar would be perfect for my computer desk. Anyway, I've been secretly lurking on this forum for about 3 months now, attempting to obtain as much knowledge as I can from all of you experienced aquarists. Well, fast forward to today, I've successfully gathered all the supplies, cycled my tank, and recently added two of my very first corals. I'm super excited to continue this pico reef journey and I hope I don't screw it up! fingerscrossed

Tank Established: January 10, 2021

Equipment:

• 2 gallon Anchor Hocking jar
  • 25w heater from Amazon
  • Tetra whisper air pump and air stone
  • PicoPro LED light and lid
  • Couple lbs. of live rock from LFS
  • Live sand
  • BioSpira nitrifying bacteria and ammonium chloride to accelerate the cycle

Stocking List:

• Pulsing Xenia
  • Ricordea Florida
  • More coming soon!

Here are a few shots of the jar (sorry not the best quality and didn't get many pictures up to this point):

50885676506_908a8b3758_o.thumb.JPG.f3cf3d418b52c74f11963138fa009f66.JPGIMG_1029.thumb.JPG.ad0a899c2961c14f502e0a8cf2c7f47c.JPGIMG_1041.thumb.JPG.3ca80b0aec206423dcc382b696f6bdec.JPG

Updates to come as things move along 👍

Thanks for looking!

• Like 6

Welcome to NR. Looks perfect for a desk top. I would imagine you saw more than a few using that exact jar and have seen what works in these picos. I hope you enjoy but no slipping on your studies. Ha Ha        Good luck with your jar of SW and welcome to reefing! 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Crookies said:

Hey everyone! Before I get started I just want to let everyone know that I am new to the saltwater hobby so if you have any tips/tricks or feedback to provide, please do so! 👍 

This idea of starting a pico reef jar came from a post that I saw on reddit awhile back and thought it was fascinating. I sit at my desk a lot because of college (online now cause of COVID :sideeyes:) and figured a pico jar would be perfect for my computer desk. Anyway, I've been secretly lurking on this forum for about 3 months now, attempting to obtain as much knowledge as I can from all of you experienced aquarists. Well, fast forward to today, I've successfully gathered all the supplies, cycled my tank, and recently added two of my very first corals. I'm super excited to continue this pico reef journey and I hope I don't screw it up! fingerscrossed

Tank Established: January 10, 2021

Equipment:

• 2 gallon Anchor Hocking jar
  • 25w heater from Amazon
  • Tetra whisper air pump and air stone
  • PicoPro LED light and lid
  • Couple lbs. of live rock from LFS
  • Live sand
  • BioSpira nitrifying bacteria and ammonium chloride to accelerate the cycle

Stocking List:

• Pulsing Xenia
  • Ricordea Florida
  • More coming soon!

Here are a few shots of the jar (sorry not the best quality and didn't get many pictures up to this point):

50885676506_908a8b3758_o.thumb.JPG.f3cf3d418b52c74f11963138fa009f66.JPGIMG_1029.thumb.JPG.ad0a899c2961c14f502e0a8cf2c7f47c.JPGIMG_1041.thumb.JPG.3ca80b0aec206423dcc382b696f6bdec.JPG

Updates to come as things move along 👍

Thanks for looking!

:welcome:

I like it so far. 😊

• Like 1
On 2/5/2021 at 9:24 AM, debbeach13 said:

Welcome to NR. Looks perfect for a desk top. I would imagine you saw more than a few using that exact jar and have seen what works in these picos. I hope you enjoy but no slipping on your studies. Ha Ha        Good luck with your jar of SW and welcome to reefing! 

haha yea the tank can sometimes be a distraction but mostly it sort of has a calming effect during my studies. Thank you btw.

On 2/5/2021 at 10:12 AM, Jungle_v_i_p said:

Florida record are one of my favs. Looking good!

Yes! I think they've gotta be one of my favorites so far. Thanks! and thank you to everyone else!

Quick question to anyone who has any input. Any suggestions on keeping temp consistent? I find when my light is on during the day it gets pretty hot in the pico.

Christopher Marks has a thread about his jar with the proto type of the lid/light you should check for that thread to see if he had heat issues. I imagine it is tough with cover like that.

The thread is 2 gallon pico reef jar - snail kingdom

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Alright so a little bit of an update!

I may or may not have went a little ham on the AquaSD sale a while back and stocked the tank with quite a few corals... They seem to be doing fairly well although some of my zoas seem to not open up. Also, as you guys can tell, I'm having a bit of an outbreak of brown algae (I'm pretty sure its dino's). I've stocked one hermit and an astrea snail to help with the algae and I'm trying to limit the amount of light in the tank to help battle the algae. I've also been manually removing the algae with a turkey baster but it's not extremely effective at getting everything.

Anyone have some tips on fighting the algae? Or should I just give it time?

Thoughts on adding more invertebrates? Was thinking about picking up another hermit and some cerith snails.

Anyways, hope everyone is well and thanks again for looking!

IMG_1133 (1).JPG

IMG_1132.JPG

IMG_1131.JPG

IMG_1130.JPG

• Like 2