Coral Vue Hydros

Aquascape Opinions Sought

Nargard

22 gallon long with the goal of having a mixed reef tank. Using Life Rock. Thoughts are appreciated. Here's one I've been working on. The two large end pieces have been super glued with BRS Thick Gel. Mortar will follow one I decide on a scape.

20210204_171010.jpg

20210204_171035.jpg

20210204_171057.jpg

20210204_171114.jpg

20210204_171135.jpg

20210204_171151.jpg

• Like 1

I like what you have in the last pictures a lot. Good flow and "movement." Only thing I would say is it's pretty uniform in height. Maybe build the left rock up a bit in the back to provide some variation?

1 hour ago, tzink said:

I like what you have in the last pictures a lot. Good flow and "movement." Only thing I would say is it's pretty uniform in height. Maybe build the left rock up a bit in the back to provide some variation?

I agree! Needs a bit more height! Great work though 

• 1 month later...

Please take my comments with a grain of salt because I'm cycling my first reef tank currently, a tall 16 gallon tank. 

My goal was to create a scape with unique structure while allowing good water flow around the entire tank. The thought was to keep the perimeter clear of rock and limit the amount of rock actually touching the sand.  Using AP plastic epoxy allowed my to build overhangs and build on a negative slope.  If you are going to fuse pices of rock together I would recommend that you make a cardboard cut out of your tank and build the scape using the actual dimensions of the tank. Good luck

oh I also glued a couple rocks on the back glass for future frag placement. 

Christian Nano reef 1.jpeg

Christian Nano reef 2.jpeg

Christian Nano reef 3.jpeg

• Like 1

I'll go against the grain, if you add height in rockwork, your corals all end up way at the surface of the water. When I set out rockwork I usually cut off 1/3 of what looks 'right' so that it translates to a more coral-focused scape, rather tahn corals sitting on a mound of rock.

Interest in vertical variation is easier to create by varying the sandbed depths, and with a scape like this you can use a 'dam' of rock to create slightly elevated portions of sand. This non-linear variation at the bottom does more for the eye than piling rock on even sand,

it's the same principle in portraiture, you can see it in the mona lisa 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, tzink said:

Can you elaborate? I'm curious.

undefined

See how the right side is higher, and the heights of the landscape behind her, as well as the shapes of the elements of it all convey a uniform sense of movement? that net arrangement, to the eye, implies height in a way that actually adding height doesn't quite achieve 

• Like 1