Coral Vue Hydros

Jbsmarines.co.uk any good?

Nathans_Reef

1 hour ago, SaltyGallon said:

Likewise. Ordered from them before and all as expected - reasonable prices too.

that's good, yeah the prices are good. I noticed that almost all coral websites in the uk don't have a very good selection of soft corals other than zoanthids or mushrooms. do you know of any good website for soft corals?

marine world has a decent stock of corals, they dont really cater for nanos or picos though. Ocean Corals and Reptiles in york often have a nice selection, they dont have an online shop but you can contact them thorugh instagram

i've used whitecorals (based in germany) a couple of times in the past, they were fairly priced.

Other than that look for local reefers 

• Like 2

Mail Order Corals are great too.

I definitely don't rate Zoa Marine though. Overpriced/ridiculously named coral which is totally under-whelming in person. I once paid through the nose for a "collectors acan" and it was a) poorly packed and literally half dead (the box was completely airtight so the heat pack ran out of oxygen) b) totally underwhelming and not at all ultra - the cheeky sod had the nerve to blame my lighting!

p.s. I think I commented on your photo on instragram, Nathan 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
30 minutes ago, SaltyGallon said:

I definitely don't rate Zoa Marine though. Overpriced/ridiculously named coral which is totally under-whelming in person. I once paid through the nose for a "collectors acan" and it was a) poorly packed and literally half dead (the box was completely airtight so the heat pack ran out of oxygen) b) totally underwhelming and not at all ultra - the cheeky sod had the nerve to blame my lighting!

i've had the opposite but then anything named "ultra" i avoid like the 'rona. Had some great Euphyllia from there. 

@Nathans_Reef check out thecoralcentre too, UK grown corals so are slightly more hardy than most. Not the greatest selction at the moment however

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ratvan said:

i've had the opposite but then anything named "ultra" i avoid like the 'rona. Had some great Euphyllia from there. 

@Nathans_Reef check out thecoralcentre too, UK grown corals so are slightly more hardy than most. Not the greatest selction at the moment however

Marine world seems to have a massive selection of fish and inverts so I might try them one day, I haven't heard of the other ones so I will take a look. I have just received my first coral from thecoralcentre and it was really good, excellent service and packaging. good quality coral. I got a type of sinularia finger leather coral and it seems to be doing very well. 

2 hours ago, SaltyGallon said:

I will have a look at mail order corals. I have seen Zoa Marine before and I was straight away put off by the prices. Shame about your coral, and blaming your lighting doesn't seem like very good customer service 🤨

yes I see that you commented on my post, Thanks 👍

11 minutes ago, Nathans_Reef said:

Marine world seems to have a massive selection of fish and inverts so I might try them one day, I haven't heard of the other ones so I will take a look. I have just received my first coral from thecoralcentre and it was really good, excellent service and packaging. good quality coral. I got a type of sinularia finger leather coral and it seems to be doing very well. 

Where are you based in the UK? I'm in Leeds so know a fair few LFS round Bradford, Leeds, Wakefield, Osset (lock your door as you drive through :D), Colne, Sheffield etc. 

7 minutes ago, Ratvan said:

Where are you based in the UK? I'm in Leeds so know a fair few LFS round Bradford, Leeds, Wakefield, Osset (lock your door as you drive through :D), Colne, Sheffield etc. 

I'm down in Kent,

The frag I got from The Coral Centre has a decent amount of coraline algae on the frag plug which is a bonus for my tank. It also came with a small aiptasia though but I can just cover that with glue so it's not a problem.

JBS are good.

Mail order corals are 50:50, some of the stuff I've had from them looks nothing like the images.

TheCoralCenter is my favourite though, UK aquacultured, photos under white and fair prices.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Nathans_Reef said:

I'm down in Kent,

The frag I got from The Coral Centre has a decent amount of coraline algae on the frag plug which is a bonus for my tank. It also came with a small aiptasia though but I can just cover that with glue so it's not a problem.

I think that all things aqautic and pelagic are still open for business. Also if you join ultimate reef there is a user from.orpington that always seems to have stuff for sale. The UR sales forums are closed currently though due to the lockdown.

He'll sometimes even a maidenhead aqautic has a decent selection of fish and corals. At least the ones near me do

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Ratvan said:

I think that all things aqautic and pelagic are still open for business. Also if you join ultimate reef there is a user from.orpington that always seems to have stuff for sale. The UR sales forums are closed currently though due to the lockdown.

He'll sometimes even a maidenhead aqautic has a decent selection of fish and corals. At least the ones near me do

Thanks thats good to know, in my opinion the Maidenhead Aquatics near me are way too overpriced, they do have a good selection of fish and inverts but they never seem to have a selection of coral unfortunately.  

13 hours ago, Frag Factory said:

JBS are good.

Mail order corals are 50:50, some of the stuff I've had from them looks nothing like the images.

TheCoralCenter is my favourite though, UK aquacultured, photos under white and fair prices.

Ok thanks, yes the Coral centre seems to be very good 👍