inTank Media Baskets

Parameters swings

Pbalz

What causes your parameters to move my calcium was up 110 from last week my all up 1.2 no water changes no additions or subtractions my phos dipped to .03 from .05 and my nitrate held steady at 3.5 salinity same at 1.025 Ph at 8.4 will the all and calcium swings be a problem 

18 hours ago, Pbalz said:

What causes your parameters to move my calcium was up 110 from last week my alk up 1.2 no water changes no additions or subtractions my phos dipped to .03 from .05 and my nitrate held steady at 3.5 salinity same at 1.025 Ph at 8.4 will the alk and calcium swings be a problem 

The changes in phosphate are within the margin of error.  You could repeat the test multiple times in a row and the results could vary more than that.

The calcium and alkalinity numbers are harder to explain (as the results are fairly significant).  Initially I'd suspect a testing error, although not necessarily a problem with the kits themselves.  But I really don't know.  At that pH, you shouldn't see increases in both alkalinity and calcium.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, seabass said:

Initially I'd suspect a testing error, although not necessarily a problem with the kits themselves.  But I really don't know.  At that pH, you shouldn't see increases in both alkalinity and calcium.

This has to be a testing error and can't be related to pH due to the massive unbalanced increase between calcium and alkalinity. If his calcium increased by 10ppm while his alkalinity increased by 1.2dkh, I would be quite intrigued. But, since it increased by more than 10x what it would have relative to alkalinity if it were pH related, it simply can't be.

OP, what kits are you using to test your tank?

8 minutes ago, Pbalz said:

I wonder if last weeks test were wrong

Could be.  Hard saying what actually happened.  But the more we get used to using each of these test kits, usually the better (and more consistent) we get at it.

When I get a result that I'm not expecting, I usually repeat that test.  None of us are totally immune from occasional user error.