inTank Media Baskets

mushroom wont open after new coral additions

riverreef

I had a mushroom coral for a couple days that had opened up almost fully. I ended up making a trade and getting several frags of hammer, gsp, xenia, trumpet, zoa and frilly mushrooms. They were acclimated two days ago and are all looking great. The original mushroom has been totally shriveled up ever since. I thought maybe there was some chemical warfare so I started chemipure blue yesterday. The frilly mushrooms are looking great not sure why the standard red mushrooms aren't happy. I did also try to move them to a spot with less flow to see if they would expand but they remain shriveled and unhappy. Any ideas?

20210202_134938.jpg

Screenshot_20210202-135436_Photos.jpg

Hmm tough one.

My guess is maybe light shock?  It usually seems to happen after like a week or so.

coral incompatibility is also certainly a possibility.  Will Chemipure blue handle that?  I don't really know.  Maybe try carbon?

Finally do you have anything that could be messing with it?  Some fish nip corals.  Some crabs and shrimp will constantly irritate them. 

Let it sit. Shrooms are hardy and resilient. In a few months you’ll probably wish you never added them anyways lol. If all the the other corals are doing well and happy I wouldn’t worry about it too much. If it were me I’d secure it to something more stable. Easy to get moved around on that little shell.

I would be interested to see all the usual basics about your tank:  age, all available water test results, anything exciting that's happened, etc.

• Like 1
On 2/2/2021 at 2:35 PM, nanoreeFan said:

I had that happen one time. Turned out The alkalinity was off, Alk is something easy to check. You sure have some pretty coral in there thanks for the photo

Alk was around 10 dkh

On 2/4/2021 at 7:47 AM, Jungle_v_i_p said:

Let it sit. Shrooms are hardy and resilient. In a few months you’ll probably wish you never added them anyways lol. If all the the other corals are doing well and happy I wouldn’t worry about it too much. If it were me I’d secure it to something more stable. Easy to get moved around on that little shell.

I bought it as a test coral, everything else I got after is doing great. still continues to decline

On 2/6/2021 at 6:28 PM, mcarroll said:

I would be interested to see all the usual basics about your tank:  age, all available water test results, anything exciting that's happened, etc.

Tank is 2 months, live rock came from established reef. amm 0 nit 0 nitrate 10.  salinity 1.025 controlled by ato.  temp 78 controlled by apex, calc 400 dkh 9-10

The shroom is not doing any better. Tried to move it around to different light and flows.  I did go back to store where I bought it and saw that all the other shroom frags in the tank I got it from were also shriveled like mine, not sure what to make of that.

21 minutes ago, riverreef said:

The shroom is not doing any better. Tried to move it around to different light and flows.  I did go back to store where I bought it and saw that all the other shroom frags in the tank I got it from were also shriveled like mine, not sure what to make of that.

Well that is interesting...  Did you do a dip or anything prior to adding to your tank?  I'm wondering if there could be a pest or infection of some kind.

Another possibility - did the tank that the mushrooms are in at the LFS have strong lights?  Either LED with optics or t5HO in a shallow tank maybe?  It could still be too much light (needs to acclimate some more).   Did you move it to a shadier spot?

Finally - did any other coral look less than stellar in that tank?  My other thought is pH shock.  Depending on where the LFS got the mushrooms having pH swings could cause them to not be happy.

BTW, in your pic is that a reef light (usually very blue), or is the light color always that white as in the pic?

If you can get your phosphates tested, that's the last piece of data that would be interesting.

One thing:  Mushrooms don't die.  As long as they are still there, they will come back once you get this figured out.  👍

8 hours ago, ajmckay said:

Well that is interesting...  Did you do a dip or anything prior to adding to your tank?  I'm wondering if there could be a pest or infection of some kind.

Another possibility - did the tank that the mushrooms are in at the LFS have strong lights?  Either LED with optics or t5HO in a shallow tank maybe?  It could still be too much light (needs to acclimate some more).   Did you move it to a shadier spot?

Finally - did any other coral look less than stellar in that tank?  My other thought is pH shock.  Depending on where the LFS got the mushrooms having pH swings could cause them to not be happy.

I dipped seaxhem reef dip. The store tank has less in similar depth tank to mine. I have t5s.  I had it at the bottom I can try in a spot that is shaded from an overhang