Coral Vue Hydros

wutsit2yuh

• So this is my first dip into saltwater and this forum. I'm quite intimated with all of the information I don't know like what type of substrate I should use, how many fish, what type of coral, what species are compatable, etc, etc. I know I'd love to have a pistol shrimp/goby pair. Maybe a tasha shrimp goby? A tailspot blenny would be awesome to have. Is there another blenny I could add? I really like the pink streaked and possum wrasse as well. What considerations should I have regarding gender? I was hoping I could use arag-alive sand. Would 20 pounds be enough? Do yall have any suggestions? Literally any ideas/suggestions/information is welcome. 
  • Like 2
20 minutes ago, wutsit2yuh said:
  • So this is my first dip into saltwater and this forum. I'm quite intimated with all of the information I don't know like what type of substrate I should use, how many fish, what type of coral, what species are compatable, etc, etc. I know I'd love to have a pistol shrimp/goby pair. Maybe a tasha shrimp goby? A tailspot blenny would be awesome to have. Is there another blenny I could add? I really like the pink streaked and possum wrasse as well. What considerations should I have regarding gender? I was hoping I could use arag-alive sand. Would 20 pounds be enough? Do yall have any suggestions? Literally any ideas/suggestions/information is welcome. 

:welcome:

Trying to plan a new reef can be a daunting task and everyone has their own ideas about how to do it. The 13.5 is a popular tank. I would suggest finding threads from other Fluval owners and research their set ups. Also the TOTM threads are great reads from experienced reefers on what to do and what not to do. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

i started with live rock and live sand. from what i've read, it seems starting with dry rock is much harder. i'm at the point of just adding one new fish a month, which gives me lots of time to research. next i'll be adding corals - probably the same way. good luck!

i went with tail spot instead of a shrimp goby pair. i'm not sure both would work comfortably in my evo13.5.

• Thanks 1

Shark tank? 😋 

Sounds like you have alot of research to do. No one can answer your questions without writing you a novel. 

Hope you enjoy research and using google!  🙂

Check out my Tank Journal and others if you want ideas for your 13.5. 

And watch / read / learning as much as possible. This is a good video to start with: 

• Thanks 1

I'm newbie.  New 10 Gall tank.   about 10 days ago, I started tank with 3 pounds Live Rock and 6-7 Marco dry rocks.and dead sand.

I bought my first fish Saturday and he's quite happy in there.  My LFS guided me to fish cycle vs weeks of testing out ammonia cycling tank.  I added the Bio spira startup bacteria for 48 hours for some insurance to keep fish healthy.  So far, fish is happy as can be ...  spends most time around the live rock and swimming in column.  I feed once a day only what the clown can eat. 

I plan to add another fish in a month ( maybe 2 ) and add CUC as needed. 

• Thanks 1