inTank Media Baskets

Kenya Tree requirements?

Auratolith

I have an AIO tank with a display volume of 2.5 gallons, and a total volume of 3.7 gallons. I have it set up with a 40 gph pump, 50w heater, and the stock 3w daylight white + actinic blue LED. I ordered an ABI 12w Tuna Blue coral LED, and it should be here in about a week and a half. My LFS has cultured liverock for sale in lit tanks with coraline algae and critters. I would like to buy 3lbs of it, including a piece with a small kenya tree, and set that up with 3w light until my 12w arrives. Would that work?

My long term goal is to build a reef, starting with soft coral, macroalgae gorgonians, and mushrooms, buying larger tanks as I accumulate coral and obtain more space to keep them in, if that is relevant. I have no intention of adding any fish into a small tank, I was thinking of maybe getting snails/shrimp/echinoderms after the tank is up and running and stable, but not in the immediate future. It would just be coral, macros, and rock, with me taking care of algae myself.
I have experience with freshwater and planted tanks, but no SW experience.

Your lighting is not as important as water stability and maintaining it. Ill preface that by stating that lighting has its own importance but corals will die faster in a poorly maintained aquarium. A week's time should not affect it but when you put on that high intensity led, you will need to acclimate the coral to it unless it's coming from a tank with similar lighting.

1 minute ago, Reefsamurai said:

Your lighting is not as important as water stability and maintaining it. Ill preface that by stating that lighting has its own importance but corals will die faster in a poorly maintained aquarium. A week's time should not affect it but when you put on that high intensity led, you will need to acclimate the coral to it unless it's coming from a tank with similar lighting.

My LFS has Kessils, I believe. I can't supply that. What am I supposed to do?

I would say that you’re fine getting the Kenya tree now. It’s not optimal transitioning lights, but it’ll probably survive.
Kenya trees are very tough and adaptable - so much so that they can take over a tank. Keep in mind that once they’re in a tank, they’re almost impossible to eradicate.

• Like 1
On 1/31/2021 at 4:10 PM, Auratolith said:

I have an AIO tank with a display volume of 2.5 gallons, and a total volume of 3.7 gallons. I have it set up with a 40 gph pump, 50w heater, and the stock 3w daylight white + actinic blue LED. I ordered an ABI 12w Tuna Blue coral LED, and it should be here in about a week and a half. My LFS has cultured liverock for sale in lit tanks with coraline algae and critters. I would like to buy 3lbs of it, including a piece with a small kenya tree, and set that up with 3w light until my 12w arrives. Would that work?

My long term goal is to build a reef, starting with soft coral, macroalgae gorgonians, and mushrooms, buying larger tanks as I accumulate coral and obtain more space to keep them in, if that is relevant. I have no intention of adding any fish into a small tank, I was thinking of maybe getting snails/shrimp/echinoderms after the tank is up and running and stable, but not in the immediate future. It would just be coral, macros, and rock, with me taking care of algae myself.
I have experience with freshwater and planted tanks, but no SW experience.

Kenya tree coral would be fine almost anywhere in your tank. The more light you give it, the faster it will grow. As it grows, small branches will fall off and float somewhere else in the tank. I have had the coral under rocks and it will still slowly grow.